Author Topic: OT - Mid-life crisis  (Read 1882 times)

Connie

OT - Mid-life crisis
« on: October 11, 2002, 04:40:03 PM »
Well, my husband turned 50 yesterday (yikes!) and recently announced he's going up in a hot air balloon.  (Huh?)
I thought that spending a fortune on a DVD player and a nine-disk set of Kubrick films for his birthday would make the poor boy happy and he'd forget about this hot air balloon stuff.  But noooooooooo.  He's still gonna do it.

Anyway, I'm nervous and uneasy about this.  Has anyone on here been on a hot air balloon ride or know anything about it??  The whole idea scares me to death but I'm trying not to say too much about it 'cause I don't want to "rain on his parade" so to speak.  LOL  
I mean, I can understand this wanting to float around up in the sky and all, but......I'm a wreck here.

So, does anyone know about or have any experience with these rides, so I can maybe deal more calmly with what our daughter refers to as "Daddy's hot air balloon mid-life crisis thing" ????

-CLC  :o

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Mid-life crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 05:05:33 PM »
Oh my goddness Connie no i haven't been even near one of those things !they were suppose to do one at our fair last year but canceled it D/T Sept 11
we live pretty close to Boston(about 3-4miles) I don't think they are that bad but i hate heights so i'd never go but my husband and daughter were going to do it
and were mad they couldn't! para sailing looks more scary but good luck Are you going?
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 05:38:58 PM »
I say give him a big kiss, and then wave and cheer until he and the balloon are mere specks in the sky.......you wouldn't want him to regret NOT doing it for the NEXT 50 years....would you?

My husband's hobby is surf-fishing....so for HIS 50th birthday he bought himself a 4-wheel drive truck so he could drive right down to the water's edge on the beach and not have to hike it anymore!! [lghy]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 05:52:25 PM »
I think that compared to some other things he could want to do that ballooning is pretty safe.  I'd say keep quiet and let him go for it and be glad that he doesn't want to skydive from an airplane or bungi jump from a bridge.  [crazd]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 06:33:13 PM »

I met my little girl's father when he was 59, he's 69 now. Do they ever get over their mid life crisis? I think it's still happening!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 06:59:32 PM »
My husband is 59 and retired. I wish he'd get a hobby
besides surfing the TV channels and taking naps all day!

Let him go, Connie. Maybe he'll get the sh** scared out of him and stay back on earth watching movies on his new DVD.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2002, 06:59:36 PM »
Dear Connie,

Every year in my town we have "The Balloon Festival".  The balloons only take off at dawn and dusk when weather conditions are calmest.  The balloons are grounded if the weather is threatening in any way.  The cost is $100. per person which includes champagne.  There has been only one accident.  The balloon went off course and hit some trees.  It was slowly put down and no one was hurt.  
    My son would love to go but my husband and I can't stand heights. [nerv] 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 07:12:49 PM »
Hi Connie,

If your huband can wait til August, I found a web address for our town's balloon festival.  Its called The Great Falls Balloon Festival(food, fun, carnival rides).  
www.greatfallsballoonfestival.com
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 09:42:13 PM »
I have never been in a hot air balloon.  I have seen them take off.  I am afraid of heights so I would not want to try it.  I think the other posters are right.  Don't go, don't look, don't think about it but your husband should try it.  I don't mean to sound like a fatalist but you never know and everyday should be lived to the fullest.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2002, 02:35:01 AM »
Well I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one scared of heights around here.  I see them around here all the time....western Mass is full of hot air I guess LOL! I think they're fascinating to watch but I'd never do it.  They're as safe as anything else so I'd tell him to go for it.  Look at it this way, they're probably safer than his daily commute to work.

EG
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2002, 02:38:31 AM »
I loved my hot air balloon ride and can't think of anything safer. It's not as if he's going sky diving (which I've also done) or bungee jumping (which I have no desire to do). He's in less potential danger on a hot air balloon ride than in an airplane!

The one and only drawback to the experience was the giant propane flame thrower ten inches about my scalp. It was hot and loud! Overall, though, the experience was a lot of fun!!! So don't worry! Go with him if you can - you won't be sorry!

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2002, 03:25:20 AM »
Hi! I think a hot air balloon ride would be so much fun! I have never done it, but once one of the balloons landed in my Grandpa's field. Heck, if I can whitewater raft in Class V rapids, you can go up in a hot air balloon! :) It can be scary, but it will be something you always remember!

-Lindsey

P.S. We had a speaker come into our school yesterday, and he said he loves Juniors (which I am) because we're like "a whole group of people all going through mid-life crisis at the same time". Lol!
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2002, 04:01:26 AM »
WHHOOOOSSSHHHH! They used to go over my house 2 or 3 times a year when I was in Prescott Valley, Arizona. They make a sound that is like no other. The sound would wake me up and I would run into the yard to see them. Way cool, I would LOVE to go up in one. I am scared of heights, but not at all the same thing for me.

The only accident I have heard of is when one had a tank dislodge and broke someone's leg. That could have happened anywhere though.

If you really think you wouldn't enjoy it, then by all means give him a big kiss and wave prettily.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Connie

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2002, 08:13:44 AM »
He's in less potential danger on a hot air balloon ride than in an airplane!.....
Overall, though, the experience was a lot of fun!!! So don't worry! Go with him if you can - you won't be sorry!

Well, that's what I've been worried about - exactly HOW safe is it, ya know?  I mean, there's not much control - you're just sort of floating wherever the wind takes you.  I find it hard to believe that it's safer than an airplane though.  (Actually, I'm not crazy about planes either).  LOL

Am I going?  No way in hell.  Anyway, it's costing $175.
I just wish the worry wasn't hanging over my head.  He's not doing it 'till November 3rd or something.  I wish it was over and done with.  I'd like him back in one piece.   LOL

Signed,
Anxiety-Ridden  

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2002, 05:33:35 PM »
I really feel for you!  My son recently parachuted out of an airplane.  If he had told he was going to do it in advance, I would have freaked out.  Now my daughter is thinking about doing it.  Hopefully she'll come to her senses. I would personally rather go white water rafting then jump out of a little plane...ugh.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf