Author Topic: OT - Mid-life crisis  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Mid-life crisis
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2002, 02:48:53 PM »
I am also scared of heights. But I have been told by
people who have been up in hot air balloons that
it is the most exhilarating thing you can do.
When it's over Connie, please post some pictures
with the words to "Up, Up and Away in my Beautiful
Balloon"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2002, 07:14:35 PM »
Hot air balloon rides are great fun!  I live in the Bay Area and they do it up in NAPA all the time .. .rarely, very rarely is there an accident and I've been to the Albuquerque Balloon Fest they have every year.. . just ensure the balloon pilot is licenses, insured and/or bonded (same thing).  ..then follow earlier given advice. . .wave to him as he goes up but not before giving a really hot kiss.  ..

Julia99

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2002, 08:41:36 PM »

Well, that's what I've been worried about - exactly HOW safe is it, ya know?  I mean, there's not much control - you're just sort of floating wherever the wind takes you.  I find it hard to believe that it's safer than an airplane though.  (Actually, I'm not crazy about planes either).  LOL

It's safer, Connie. For one thing, people don't go up 10,000 feet in a hot air balloon. Any experienced balloonist can operate safely enough to insure the passengers are safe. The only difficulty is finding a clear spot to land. Sometimes you can drift a bit as you come down so if there are power lines or trees nearby the balloon goes back up and tries to find another spot. Believe me, there's nothing to worry about. Stop and think about how many times, if ever, you've heard about someone dying in a tragic balloon accident? And I'm not talking about that millionaire guy who keeps trying to go around the world in one - we're talking about commercial/civilian balloon rides here. Statistically, roller coasters are more dangerous.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2002, 10:07:49 PM »
When I was a youngster, the occasional hot air balloon would go over our house. I usually tried to knock them out of the sky with my slingshot.

Somehow, I don't think anyone was ever in great danger of plummeting.

--M

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2002, 12:14:54 AM »
I think you should go for it too.  Life is way too short and they are pretty safe.  Take a picnic and a good bottle of wine and some cheese and enjoy the view.