Author Topic: OT: The Oscars  (Read 2910 times)

ClaudeNorth

OT: The Oscars
« on: March 19, 2003, 05:27:21 AM »
Greetings!

Just wondering if there are any other movie buffs out there, and what their Oscar picks are.

I'm rooting for Julianne Moore to win Best Actress for her brilliant and deeply moving performance in FAR FROM HEAVEN, which IMHO deserved far more nominations than it received.

Every year, I'm always frustrated by the Academy's choices, yet I can't help but watch!  Only four days to go!

Regards,

John

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:OT: The Oscars
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 05:53:02 AM »
i'm really pulling for lord of the rings, the two towers to win for best picture.  i really haven't seen anything else yet since it's not out on dvd.

but i just love the lord of the rings triology.  i think legolas greenleaf (orlando bloom) is really cute and aragorn (viggo mortensen) is cute but in a furry, dirty kinda way. ;) lol!

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 01:04:32 PM »
Martin "the great" Scorsesse should win for the Best Director and the Pianoist should win for the Picture.

I too am a big time movie buff. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 02:51:19 PM »
I'm rooting for Daniel Day-Lewis for his performance in "Gangs of New York". [evild]  The most convincing creep I've seen on screen since Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs"
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 08:00:01 PM »
the oscars r scheduled to take place 2 blocks from where i live yet last i heard no fans will be permitted and they r taking down the fan bleechers. i used to go and videotape the stars on the red carpet from the bleechers. i put together a website that movie/oscar fans would enjoy. please sign the guestbook so i will know u were there.
http://surf.to/joesoscarphotos

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 09:07:32 PM »
I agree about Far From Heaven - Dennis Quaid should have been nominated.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 01:34:54 AM »
Joe...GREAT SITE!!

If anyone's looking...make sure you check out Cher's pic.

Wow!! Great pic of Lucille Ball...and the wonderful Jimmy Stewart.

Joe...there have been bleachers there for just any ol' "Joe" to take pics? Wow...t hat's great & I'm sure they'll resume it next year.

You had a pic of Jack Lemmon...just watched "Days of Wine and Roses" (whadda movie).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 02:36:58 AM »
I really hope Chicago wins.  It was such a great movie!
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 10:20:16 AM »
when the oscars were at the shrine or music center, anyone ws welcome to sit in the bleachers but to get a decent seat u had to claim ur seat and stay/sleep in the bleachers at least 1 day ahead of time. someone would save ur seat if u had to go to the port-a-potty or eat.in 1991, u  had to go  through a metal detector and cameras were prohibited in the bleachers. since the oscars moved to the kodak theatre, u now have to enter a drawing to WIN  a seat in the bleachers u have to aply with a photo/info of urself and they do a background check. i have yet to win a seat and im glad i didnt win this year cause no one gets to sit in the bleachers now. 

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 03:56:03 PM »
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is the clear winner in my opinion.  If they have an award for the sexiest man I'd have to choose Viggo Mortenson :-* (Lord Aragorn) from LOTRTwoTowers. Some of the dream sequences were so enchanting! I'd also like to see the actor who played 'Golum' win an award too.  His 'good' Golum, 'bad' Golum argument with himself was fantastic!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 04:17:25 PM »
i put together a website that movie/oscar fans would enjoy. please sign the guestbook so i will know u were there.
http://surf.to/joesoscarphotos

Great video grabs Joe. That looks like Tony Bennett behind Lucy in the one of her. Is it indeed him?

I have only seen a couple of the movies up for Best Picture. ( Chicago & Gangs of NY) Here are my projections for Sunday Night.

Best Picture.......Chicago
Best Actor .........Daniel Day Lewis
Best Actress.......Nicole Kidman
Original Song ....."I Move On" from Chicago

Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 06:06:26 PM »
the man behind lucy in the photo is not tony bennett. it is the "MAN BEHIND LUCY" in her life after desi. her husband GARY MORTON.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 04:40:33 AM »
If I were picking the Oscar winners...

Best Picture:  CHICAGO (although I haven't seen THE PIANIST or LOTR)

Best Actor:  Jack Nicholson (based on seeing 3 of the 5 nominated performances)

Best Actress:  Julianne Moore (the best performance given by anyone in any category, IMHO)

Best Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper and Christopher Walken (the Oscars could use another tie to shake things up)

Best Supporting Actress:  Catherine Zeta-Jones (although it pains me to deny Julianne Moore two Oscars in one night)

Best Director:  Pedro Almodovar (a true visionary who imbues his work with great sensitivity and humanity)

Of course, if I were totally in charge, the list of nominees in each category would be quite different...

Regards,

John

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2003, 09:31:53 PM »
Well, my vote for best picture goes to "Chicago". My PERSONAL favorite is "The Two Towers", but that is not how I judge. I've seen all the best pic nominess except for "The Pianist" and just couldn't make it to that, unfortunately. I haven't seen "Far From Heaven" either, so, I am not totally up to speed. (Which the typical Academy voter isn't either, I might add....)

From what I've heard, I think I would vote for Adrian Brody for best actor and very likely Roman Polanski for best director. I really can't guess if Nicholson or Lewis will win it though, of the two performances, I choose Lewis. Best actress, I would choose Nicole Kidman. I think she has been overlooked Oscar worthy roles that weren't even nominated ("To Die For", "The Others" and ANY other actress would have won for an equal performance of "Portrait of a Lady").  Since she has been dumped by Tom, she may have a chance tonight. But, Julia Moore having two nominations really messes it all up. I honestly think she is Oscar worthy in most any role, but I still vote for Catherine Zeta-Jones for her powerhouse supporting actress role.  For best supporting actor, I'm really torn between Chris Cooper and John C. Reilly, either winning will make me very happy, but I will go with Reilly for my vote.

And I have to agree that Viggo wins any day as Best Heartthrob!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2003, 06:07:53 AM »
Well, I guess my "vote" was in keeping with the average Academy winner! Only one miss (kind of, I did hedge) and that one thrills me, Chris Cooper is a wonderful actor and from my hometown of Kansas City to boot. I am very happy and feeling a bit smug. ;D ::)

8) (for Jack Nicholson)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton