Author Topic: Emmy-winning performance: Thayer David as Count Petofi  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Emmy-winning performance: Thayer David as Count Petofi
« on: March 06, 2005, 05:24:46 AM »
As I (once again) watch Thayer David's work as Petofi, I can't help but think that he would have been nominated for a daytime Emmy, had they existed back in 1969.  His work is dark & menacing, but humorous, subtle. . .probably the best performance ever on DS.  Petofi and Thayer ROCK!!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Emmy-winning performance: Thayer David as Count Petofi
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 10:53:23 PM »
Brian (not our archivist Brian??), anyway, Thayer David as Petofi is my favorite.

But, I don't believe he'd have won an Emmy; he didn't have the suave good looks (think GQ wanna-bes).

Come to think of it, I don't know if DS 'as is' would play now....think Beatle's "Beautiful People". They weren't....food for thought.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:21:52 AM »
I must admit to being confused.   I'm a big Beatles guy, listening to "Free As A Bird" as I am at the moment, yet I don't get the reference u made.

To the credit of the 60s,  it was not entirely necessary then to be an ubermodel to get one's mug onto television.

Petofi is my fave villain.   It undermined my admiration just a bit, when it hit me that P was probably just another Sidney Greenstreet impersonation.    But I'm trying to work against this, and get it into my head that this wasn't all that derivative a character.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 05:22:42 AM »
. . . it hit me that P was probably just another Sidney Greenstreet impersonation.    But I'm trying to work against this, and get it into my head that this wasn't all that derivative a character.

LOL. . .I don't remember Sidney Greenstreet wearing a silver/gray poodle-cut wig, or whiskers.  Thayer's wonderful gravelly voice is unique--not even close to our modern-day Harvey Fierstein's real gravel voice.  (To check out just how unique his voice is, watch THE MISSILES OF OCTOBER--it's clear that he is narrating the movie.  Another unique voice is, of course, Grayson Hall--nobody else matches her.)  Thayer's performance is only part of the Petofi character, though--there's also the great writing that Sam Hall, Gordon Russell, et al, did for this character.

Just my opinion as a DS fan from the old days (i.e., 1968-69. . .)

Brian

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 09:31:49 AM »
Every TV show for quite awhile had a S Greenstreet impersonation involved.    And a Peter Lorre impersonation.    As for the festively autumnal missiles, their launching is ... sorry, their inceasing altitude is what's supposed to happen and whatnot.    So there.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 04:41:25 PM »
As for the festively autumnal missiles, their launching is ... sorry, their inceasing altitude is what's supposed to happen and whatnot.    So there. 

MagnusTrask,

You do understand that the moderators read every post on the forums, right?  The attempts at humor in some (though definitely not all) of your recent posts such as this one and statements made in some exiled posts in which you've admitted to not contributing to the discussion are not appreciated by the mods.

Midnite

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 05:26:48 AM »
Thanks,  MIDNIGHT, for your comments.  Somehoiw I got lost in MagnusTrask's messages.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 06:45:07 AM »
If they had emmys in the day, I believe Thayer David would have won for best support actor.  Petofi is not a leading character so he could not have won for lead.  Further, the GQ aspect is not as important in a supporting role.   ;)

Playing grunch or against type (Halle Berry - Monster's Ball or Charlize Theron - Monster) is in and does win awards.

luv, victoriawinters

Don't click here.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 11:15:55 PM »
Just my opinion as a DS fan from the old days (i.e., 1968-69. . .)

Brian...do you get what I'm saying...I don't know if DS would be 'airable' (probably not a real word!) now; everyone on TV is perfect; Thayer David has/had wonderful, 3 dimensional, credible flaws. But I don't think America 'allows' flaws (think botox, et al).

BUT I STILL LOVE LOVE LOVE PETOFI. :D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 11:53:18 AM »
As for the festively autumnal missiles, their launching is ... sorry, their inceasing altitude is what's supposed to happen and whatnot.    So there.   

MagnusTrask,

You do understand that the moderators read every post on the forums, right?  The attempts at humor in some (though definitely not all) of your recent posts such as this one and statements made in some exiled posts in which you've admitted to not contributing to the discussion are not appreciated by the mods.

Midnite

I'm not aware of ever having said anything on any message board in the past three years or so that I have been online, that any moderator has ever objected to.     I will not deny that I've done an occasional low-quality post, and I think this is due to sleep deprivation at the time (there are reasons for this), but this is true of everyone who has ever posted on the Internet.    An occasional non sequitur remark does the world more good than harm, besides.     If posts of mine have been deleted, that's disturbing.    I thought I'd found a welcoming place here, with some people with a somewhat similar outlook, and sense of humor.   I have certainly been no more off-color than others here.

I'm a well-intentioned person and whatever it is that some people may think I'm doing wrong, if any, I wish they'd wait and see what kind of person I really am, before coming to any sort of negative judgements.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT -- Re: Emmy-winning performance: Thayer David as Count Petofi
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »
OT --

I'm not aware of ever having said anything on any message board in the past three years or so that I have been online, that any moderator has ever objected to.     I will not deny that I've done an occasional low-quality post, and I think this is due to sleep deprivation at the time (there are reasons for this), but this is true of everyone who has ever posted on the Internet.    An occasional non sequitur remark does the world more good than harm, besides.

I'm sorry that you've been sleep deprived.  It's a pattern of "non sequitur" remarks that led to my message, and I can't say I understand your surprise since you've not only called them "pointless" or "bad" in some of the actual posts, now you're describing them with a phrase that means "does not follow."  We're asking that you caption the picture in the topic, and that your off-topic posts be kept to a minimum.

If posts of mine have been deleted, that's disturbing.    I thought I'd found a welcoming place here, with some people with a somewhat similar outlook, and sense of humor.   I have certainly been no more off-color than others here.

You're very welcome to continue posting here, your opinions are valued, and it IS a place that appreciates a sense of humor.  Unfortunately, some of your attempts at humor aren't contributory to the discussion, such as the one quoted in my last post.  As for comparing your posts to others, any cousin whose posts are outside the guidelines will find their posts removed as well, and when the situation warrants, will hear from one of the mods.

I'm a well-intentioned person and whatever it is that some people may think I'm doing wrong, if any, I wish they'd wait and see what kind of person I really am, before coming to any sort of negative judgements.

No one here is seeking to judge you or your opinions.  We're only asking that you stay within the guidelines that you agreed to when you registered, and within the posted Caption This! rules-- in other words, please don't role play, keep your off-topic posts to a minimum, and caption the picture in the main topic.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM MysteriousB, dom or myself.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 06:41:39 AM »
I do not do objectionable things on message boards.    And I definitely do not do captions to photos that do not relate to the photos in question.    Period.   It doesn't happen.     If I made poor jokes one night, I'll of course be trying to remedy this in the future.     I think I've done a good job overall, though.     I'm a kind, respectful message-board poster.     There has obviously been some miscommunication of some kind.

Maybe I should point out that I have a rather "abstract" sense of humor sometimes, but not all that abstract, and it should be understandable to most people.     If not, bear with me, please.   I like doing captions very much.     Some people have responded well to stuff of mine.    This is a valuable outlet for me, for reasons some may come to understand later.   Sorry to be mysterious.   To sum up, I mean well.