Author Topic: Kate Jackson "on" Split Second  (Read 133 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Kate Jackson "on" Split Second
« on: May 12, 2024, 05:21:37 PM »
What is Split Second you may ask. Well, it's a game show that's currently on BUZZR. Frankly, I'd never heard of it until I saw a promo for it back in March while watching something else on BUZZR. But after doing a bit of research I discovered that apparently the show was originally on ABC daytime from March 20, 1972 until June 27, 1975. During most of that time I was in college but had a lot of my day free on some days, so I have no idea how I missed ever seeing it - or if I did, I guess I wasn't very impressed and rarely watched. The next iteration, and the one I'm going to deal with in this topic, had a brief run in syndication from December 15, 1986 until September 11, 1987 - if it was available in my area, I never saw that version either. And interestingly enough, a new iteration, which began on April 17, 2023, is currently still running on the Game Show Network. And I've never watched it, too.

But anyway, the reason I put "on" in quotes in the title for this topic is because Kate Jackson wasn't physically on the show, her name was the answer to a question - and her name coming up is what caught my sttention during the promo on BUZZR:

So ever since seeing that promo, I began DVRing the show, and finally this past Wednesday the ep in question was shown. Here's how Kate's name came up:

And as you can see, thanks to knowing Kate starred in Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the contestant won the game.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Jackson "on" Split Second
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 06:05:17 PM »
Speaking of game shows, I wonder which DS characters would perform well on “Jeopardy”?

I could see such well-read DS characters as Elizabeth Stoddard, Professor T. Elliott Stokes and, of course, Barnabas Collins (with all of the reading he probably did on those long nights in the Old House) all succeeding on that venerable TV game show.

Now, as to Willie Loomis, Buzz Hackett, Bruno Hess and Matthew Morgan doing well on “Jeopardy,” that’s a COMPLETELY different situation!  [easter_shocked] [easter_cheesy] [easter_wink]

How would some of the other DS characters do as contestants on “Jeopardy” and in exchanging bon mots with
the unfailingly charming and gracious “Jeopardy” host, Ken Jennings?  [easter_huh] [easter_rolleyes] [easter_evil] [easter_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 06:27:45 PM »
MB, this post brought back memories of a show that I had long forgotten. I watched the daytime version occasionally. As did Carol Burnett. No surprise, since it originally aired right before her beloved All My Children.

Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 07:14:31 PM »
The original Split Second was pretty cool and hosted by Tom Kennedy. The new version is pretty similar except for finale.  The show winner would go up on stage and pick out 1 of 5 new cars, get in and try to start it. If it did , they won and that was it.. If it didn't they would come back the next day and if they won again,  have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the car. Occasionally someone would pick wrong for 4 shows straight and if they won again, they got to pick any car they wanted on the 5th try.  Back then, new cars were a pretty big deal on game shows. Unfortunately,  Split Second wasn't a Goodson Todman show, so just about the entire series of tapes were erased. Makes me appreciate how lucky we were Dark Shadows survived

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:52:17 PM »
Speaking of game shows, I wonder which DS characters would perform well on “Jeopardy”?

I could see such well-read DS characters as Elizabeth Stoddard, Professor T. Elliott Stokes and, of course, Barnabas Collins (with all of the reading he probably did on those long nights in the Old House) all succeeding on that venerable TV game show.

Now, as to Willie Loomis, Buzz Hackett, Bruno Hess and Matthew Morgan doing well on “Jeopardy,” that’s a COMPLETELY different situation!  [easter_shocked] [easter_cheesy] [easter_wink]

Interesting question, BtB. I agree that the ones you cite as doing well most probably would do well. Though I'm on the fence when it comes to Buzz doing badly - he might honestly surprise when it comes to how much he knows but rarely admits. And of course, it all comes down to what the categories are. Maybe Buzz would be lucky enough to get categories like Vintage Motorcycles and philosophers who believe things like if you feel it, sit it.  [easter_wink]

But be any of that as it may, DS has often popped up as answers on Jeopardy - here's a list of some of the topics on the forum that have called attention to that:

DS Jeopardy! Question....er, answer! on tonites show.

[santa_cheesy] Seems to me I remember Dark Shadows being a category at least once on Jeopardy. I definitely remember KLS's book being the high dollar question under the category of "Almanacs" as well as a question on Willie Loomis. ...

Jeopardy Show

Tonight on Jeopardy!

Jeopardy; Voy Forums

More DS on Jeopardy!

On tonight's Jeopardy!

DS on Jeopardy!

Jeopardy!