Author Topic: The Werewolves of Dark Shadows  (Read 2201 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Werewolves of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
Thanks for the link!  But, um, Chris Jennings was not bitten by a werewolf.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
Perhaps we should place a disclaimer on every one of these blogger related posts? Many of the bloggers are not accurate as they should be. This was posted for FYI purposes. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »
It's no problem, jimbo.  I would've posted it too, cuz it's fun to see a topic covered besides the usual vampires and witches.  As for disclaimers, there's such a wide variety of blog types that formal disclaimers might be better left to their authors.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »
the dark shadows werewolf scared the bejeebers out of me so badly when i was a child, that when i bought the dvd sets, i was eerily anticipating being scared again....... [ghost_undecided]

but, thankfully i was not.   [ghost_huh] as a matter fo fact i laughed at his 60's do and hippie demeanor, and i laughed at myself for being so scared of him.   [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
TV can't compete with real life for scariness value for me, but with some effort, I was able to invest myself just enough to appreciate the blunt violence aspect of the werewolf in 1969 DS, seeing it again for the first time since childhood (thanks Lydia).   I have to be dragged to werewolf stories, but this one had the personal trauma of the cursed person (always necessary to make a werewolf story interesting) as well as surprisingly effective violence for a daytime soap opera.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
I loved and still love the DS werewolf! [ghost_grin]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
my knowledge of werewolf lore is pretty much limited to DS but to me much like zombies he's a pretty lame monster.

at least in terms of DS the vampire and the witch and the pheonix bring several things to the table. not just physical threats but emotional,psychological,sexual and spiritual implications are at stake as well.

sure barnabas,angelique or laura could just kill you right off the bat but the myriad other tortures they inflict on their victims are often worse than a quick and easy death.

with a werewolf(or,again,a zombie)either they attack you or they don't. they pose a physical threat but that's about it. their victims don't become changed in some profound way and thus for me they're not really "scary" except in a b-movie kind of way.

sure chris jennings is "tortured" my his condition(and put sabrina stewart into a catatonic state)but his actions under the werewolf state don't pack the emotional punch of many of the other supernatural characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Cursed Quentin is definitely more interesting than cursed Chris.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
But in DS, the werewolves gave people a painful death.

I say the most painful death was Widows Hill.  [ghost_closedeyes]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »
Depends on how long they stayed conscious.  [spoiler]The worst might be Alexis in PT,[/spoiler]which the WP just saw.   With werewolves we actually see it happening onscreen, though.   Not usually the kind of thing that I think I get anything out of, but something about the bluntness of [spoiler]Joe Haskell getting mangled[/spoiler]worked.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:25 PM »
what's even more funny about DS Quentin Werewolf is that the guy playing the werewolf is much shorter than David Selby.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »
what's even more funny about DS Quentin Werewolf is that the guy playing the werewolf is much shorter than David Selby.

For awhile, I thought I might be the only person who noticed!   It didn't seem to come up.  Alex...? (stuntman) must have been too good to lose even when it wasn't Chris but Ol' Sideburns-on-Stilts he was subbing for.   Was he that special?  The one thing I'd definitely have kept him for is that cool move where he jumps over the second floor railing, down into the foyer.   Maybe that was it!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
Alex Stevens.   yes.   the jump was memorable, because in my fright over the past 30 years was the memory of that jump.      [ghost_wacko]  that certainly did a number on me.

he was good at jumping and menacing.  he had the animal instinct down if you ask me.   

but, also, both selby and briscoe did a great transformation spasm.   both were dramatic and believable.   

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »
I dunno about you, but if I saw a werewolf and lived to tell about it, there's no way I would be "unchanged". Same goes for zombies. The walking dead would be kind of a big deal.

I think werewolves are one of the most tragic monsters, even more so than vampires, because they cannot control themselves at all once the transformation occurs, and they almost always are or become tragic figures.