Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 23088 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I guess all that rain kept everything green.  Plausible explanation.

Sorry. It rains frequently during the winter in New England. And in all my 60+ years of living here, there has never been one winter season in which the grass has stayed green and the trees have had green leaves.

Try again...  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
In the immortal words of the late, great Erma Bombeck: The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank.

So true!!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
this got me excited as well a sequel to the Original show, i do wonder how many of the Original cast is going to do it? i know David Henesy doesn't act anymore but i think it would be really a lot of fun to see him on the new show if and when it does happen. among others who no longer act like Nancy Barrett, well i believe she still does plays but i mean film work or tv work and she hasn't done any since the 80's. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
i know David Henesy doesn't act anymore but i think it would be really a lot of fun to see him on the new show if and when it does happen.

If he doesn't want to act again, maybe he could just play the proprietor of the diner?  [ghost_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I guess all that rain kept everything green.  Plausible explanation.

Sorry. It rains frequently during the winter in New England. And in all my 60+ years of living here, there has never been one winter season in which the grass has stayed green and the trees have had green leaves.

Try again...  [ghost_wink]

Well, MB, did your lawn consist of grass carpeting that rumpled up when someone was struggling on top of it, or did your trees have two pieces of plywood that served as roots which showed up when knocked over?  Well, did they?  Hhhmmmm......

I rest my case!

Gerard
P.S.  And don't tell me you had PALM TREES!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I would think that with today's tv/film industry and the various monetary incentives they can take advantage of when filming outside of California, that maybe we won't have to deal with the issue of pal--wait...we won't have to deal with non-indigenous plant life being seen in the scene.

But in all seriousness, if the new show really wants to grab the "look" of the original, perhaps a nice green carpet on a soundstage would do just as well?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is all getting way off topic, but I will make two points:

The original show may have used artificial grass and trees, however, despite whatever mishap with them might have happened in a scene, a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief was required to still accept them as real. Sure, that may have been a lot to ask an audience, but it's still the case...

But regardless of the original show's use of artificial grass and trees in the studio, there's something that was used by the show that continually depicted real green grass and real green leaves. I'm referring, of course, to the photos that were used as establishing shots for places like the Evans cottage and Collinwood. And those photos were used year-round for spring, summer, fall, and winter. So, besides establishing places like the Evans cottage and Collinwood, they clearly established that real grass remained green year-round and real leaves remained green and on trees (and also on the ivy growing up the sides of Collinwood) year-round...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But in all seriousness, if the new show really wants to grab the "look" of the original, perhaps a nice green carpet on a soundstage would do just as well?

They'll never do that, but I love it!!  [ghost_cheesy]

And thanks for bringing the subject back to the potential new show.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
You know what gets me, MB, with the OS?  It wasn't the outdoor sets that ended up as blooper whoopsies (which we all love).  Even though ABC spent a lot of money on those sets (whether interior or exterior), far above all other soap operas at that time, whoopsies were expected because it's not like DS had the budget of Doctor Zhivago.

What gets me is that in the first several seasons, if it was daytime and characters were outside, it was daylight.  In black-and-white, the background was bright.  In color, the background was blue to look like a day sky.  If it was a night scene, the background was black.  And then, for some unknown reason, those bright or blue backgrounds vanished.  Whether it was two p.m. or two a.m. the background was always black and showed night.  That went on until the fateful day in April '71.  That just drove me nuts.

Well, anyway, back to the original topic, with or without palm trees.  But if I see one, just one, you know what's going to happen.  If this proposed series does happen (I've already stated I'm skeptical), I'll be happy.

Gerard
P.S.  I love palm trees.  I lived in Nevada, California and Arizona.  But they don't belong in Maine.  Get that computer CGI or whatever it's called into operation.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for bringing up this Lost Boys adaptation.

It seems like there's more competition, and this one may be the most like Supernatural:

The CW Developing Ghost Hunting Drama Based on “The Archived” Book Series

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Two things worth quoting from the following article:

Scott D. Pierce: TV is inundated with reboots. But ‘Saved by the Bell’? ‘Hogan’s Heroes’? No way!

'Still, I’ve learned to reserve judgment until I actually see a show. Sometimes terrible-sounding ideas turn out to be great TV — like “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”'

'I’ll admit I was kind of excited to hear that The CW has ordered a pilot script for a “Dark Shadows” reboot. “Hogan’s Heroes,” not so much.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've been meaning to get back to the remarks from these posts but didn't get the chance until now.

Although I do have to keep in mind how long the Depp/Burton project took to become reality
Is there enough time to have a new DS ready for air by next fall to take Supernatural's spot in the line up? I know Hollywood can move fast, but I wouldn't want them to do that with the risk of bungling this whole thing.

TV moves much faster than film. For example, the '04 DS pilot was announced in January of '04 and by April it was already being cast and shot. Though in that case the script had already been completed before the initial announcement was made. However, Mark Perry is a seasoned writer and has written for numerous TV series. Writers like that can bang out an excellent script in a week. Not that I'm saying he should be able to do that with his Dark Shadows: Reincarnation script or that he will or has already. But it is possible - particularly considering he already has ideas in mind, so it's not like he'd be sitting in front of a computer screen thinking about where he wants the script to go. And there's even a possibility that he was already working on a script before Deadline broke its story back on the 9th. So, it is also possible that we could be hearing news sooner rather than later about whether or not the script will be moving forward to the pilot stage. However, with that being said, sometimes people wait to make an announcement because they want to do so at a special time and place, which has me speculating as to whether or not the "big announcement" at the Tarrytown Music Hall event might be related to this project, perhaps even that the CW has ordered production of the pilot. We should only be so lucky...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, we knew it wouldn't be long before someone wrote in somewhere to ask about a new DS:

Q:Is it true they're making another...

Of course, there's nothing we don't already know. But it's nice to questions being circulated...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
From my neck of the woods too!!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Does anyone know what was said about the pilot at the Tarrytown event yesterday? Apparently it couldn't have been too interesting because it doesn't seem as if there's been any reports on the various online news sites. But then, save for one DS site, there haven't been any formal announcements about the Frid documentary either.