Author Topic: Bloopers DVD  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Bloopers DVD
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 01:56:22 AM »
Joe, if it makes you feel any better I was the person who got Jonathan Frid to participate this year and make the videotape.  I wasn't even acknowledged in any way.  The fans enjoyed it and that was the goal.

Nancy

that outake with grayson hall and jerry lacy was on the vhs mpi blooper tape and i hope its on the dvd as well. i think its rehearsal footage that accidentally wound up as the 1st scene in an episode when DS was 1st syndicated in the mid 70s. wwac in atlantic city was the last station to air it. then it was corrected when worldvision prepared new tapes for wnbc in new york. i saved the out take. years later jim pierson contacted me for a copy and i gave it to him. i got no credit on the vhs tape.  he did give me a free copy! thanks jim! i doubt i got credit on the dvd either. i will hold my breath waiting for my free copy of the dvd. lol

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 02:10:31 AM »
Joe, if it makes you feel any better I was the person who got Jonathan Frid to participate this year and make the videotape.  I wasn't even acknowledged in any way.  The fans enjoyed it and that was the goal.
In that regard, fandom's not a whole lot different from other situations where a group of people come together to contribute to a project. Ultimately, you have to decide whether just knowing people enjoy the end result is enough for you or whether it's important to you that you be acknowledged for what you do, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that either. I don't necessarily want to be acknowledged for everything I do because anonymity affords a higher level of privacy and a certain degree of freedom. On the other hand, there's nothing like someone else taking credit for something I've done to make me become very public and very vocal about my efforts.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
that outake with grayson hall and jerry lacy was on the vhs mpi blooper tape and i hope its on the dvd as well.

It's on the DVD.

i saved the out take. years later jim pierson contacted me for a copy and i gave it to him. i got no credit on the vhs tape.  he did give me a free copy! thanks jim! i doubt i got credit on the dvd either. i will hold my breath waiting for my free copy of the dvd. lol

It's a crime that you didn't get credit Joe, that really sucks!  But don't feel TOO bad, Bobubas didn't get credit either for finding the commercial of the Barnabas Collins game w/Jonathan and Terryane Crawford.  So you're in GOOD company.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 02:39:53 AM »
Well put, MsCriseyde.  Hearing the roar of that crowd when they recognized the voice as being that of JF and the initial response to the video was "payment" enough.  That gave me a great deal of pleasure.   I'm in the entertainment business and I do that via through my own work or presenting other people.  Many other people contribute without being publicly acknowledged for various reasons.

Nancy

In that regard, fandom's not a whole lot different from other situations where a group of people come together to contribute to a project. Ultimately, you have to decide whether just knowing people enjoy the end result is enough for you or whether it's important to you that you be acknowledged for what you do, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that either. I don't necessarily want to be acknowledged for everything I do because anonymity affords a higher level of privacy and a certain degree of freedom. On the other hand, there's nothing like someone else taking credit for something I've done to make me become very public and very vocal about my efforts.  ;D

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 03:24:37 AM »
Well put, MsCriseyde.  Hearing the roar of that crowd when they recognized the voice as being that of JF and the initial response to the video was "payment" enough.  That gave me a great deal of pleasure.   I'm in the entertainment business and I do that via through my own work or presenting other people.  Many other people contribute without being publicly acknowledged for various reasons.

And what a roar of satisfaction and surprise it was! That was such a special, unexpected treat. I think that's great that JF did that for the fans, what a great gift. Thanks so much to him, and to you!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 04:43:07 AM »
That was probably the case. JF won't use the "F" word in front of women.  Usually.

Aw...that's adorable.  What a gentleman.  Rare these days.

And why wasn't KLS scooping those bits of edited tape out of the trash, like she did with Frid's hair? 

Huh?  :o
Is that really true?  What's the story behind this?  When...where...?
What did she do with it?
(That's not the hair that happens to be framed and hanging on the kitchen wall of one of our cousins, is it?)
 ::)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 05:22:52 AM »
For example, the Parallel Time ending credits with the crew guy eating his sandwich was NOT added for example.

All "bloopers" actually went out over the air, right?  So what episode is that?    To make things really easy for me, what tape number if anyone has it please?   I just saw PT again and missed it.

This is in the end credits of episode 999, I believe (just going by memory here). It's the PT episode that ends with Quentin, Cyrus and Alexis opening Angelique's coffin. The crew member is clearing chewing away on his sandwich and it lasts at least a minute before the camera slowly pulls in on the PT portrait of Angelique, cutting the crew member out of the shot.

I pointed out this blooper to Jim Pierson over a year ago and suggested he put it on the forthcoming Blooper dvd. So sorry to hear it's not there! I also suggested he expand the dvd instead of just making it a copy of the previously-released VHS. I thought MPI could have a DS cast member host (Roger Davis perhaps) set up the blooper(s) before they are shown, sorta like the Dick Clark/Ed McMahon Blooper series, so that the audience would know what to look for. I think a lot of the time, non-fans and even loyal DS fans, don't understand the blooper as it goes by so fast and then on to the next one. If the dvd had a host, the number of bloopers on one dvd would be reduced and other dvds could be produced, making MPI more money and giving fans (and non-fans) a more enjoyably paced hour of bloopers. However, this was probably not cost effective.  ::)

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:37 AM »
that outake with grayson hall and jerry lacy was on the vhs mpi blooper tape and i hope its on the dvd as well. i think its rehearsal footage that accidentally wound up as the 1st scene in an episode when DS was 1st syndicated in the mid 70s. wwac in atlantic city was the last station to air it. then it was corrected when worldvision prepared new tapes for wnbc in new york. i saved the out take. years later jim pierson contacted me for a copy and i gave it to him. i got no credit on the vhs tape.  he did give me a free copy! thanks jim! i doubt i got credit on the dvd either. i will hold my breath waiting for my free copy of the dvd. lol

I can attest to the fact that if not for Joe Integlia DS fandom would not have this outtake! I knew him back when he worked for this Atlantic City station (I remember watching some of the episodes on WWAC when I visited my mom in South Jersey). As he said, the last this outtake was shown was on the Atlantic City station...er, Joe, was it actually broadcast or did you guys catch it before it aired? When this episode aired on New Jersey Network, we looked for this outtake (yes, Grayson's droll "Why?" to the director was thrilling) but alas, Worldvision had erased it!  :( So, thanks Joe for preserviing this!!!

Several other rare video items appeared in the early days of the DS fandom thanks to DS fans. The late Joe Collins brought a tape to the first (or second) Festival containing multiple promos for HoDS and NoDS. To our surprise, right in the middle of these promos was a copy of the DS Horror Heads commercial. I'm not sure whether or not Jim Pierson found another copy of the Horror Heads commercial to use on the dvd. Perhaps what is on the Blooper dvd is from Joe Collins' copy.

Also that year, Joe Integlia introduced me to a fan who had a copy of Jonathan Frid's appearance on the Merv Griffin show. We made copies for everyone in my Gateway Hilton room. Thanks to her, we had that rarity for many years.

SDP

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 05:47:38 AM »

I thanked you privately, Nancy, and now I thank you here! It was a wonderful treat and a big surprise!  :D

SDP

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 05:52:24 AM »
i created a blooper reel many years ago and used the technology i had available from the tv station i was working at the time. i would superimpose little dots or arrows pointing to what to look for on the screen. when they previewed the blooper dvd at the festival i noticed they had arrows pointing out certain bloopers. i dont remember that  being in the mpi vhs blooper tape.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 05:56:39 AM »
anonymity affords a higher level of privacy and a certain degree of freedom.

Exactly.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 06:19:44 AM »
yes that outake did air in atlantic city. i was not previewing the tapes at that time. i kinda knew it was coming because i saw the same outake air in the mid 70s on wkbs tv in philadelphia. i just couldnt remember exactly which episode it was. i remember sitting in the control room as this episode was airing and thinking that this is the one and before i knew it everyone heard "cut" and we all went into a panic and were running around looking for a "please stand by" slide to put on the air! as for the merv griffin show, that came right from jonathan frid. i was friends with a girl who worked at abc in new york and she knew frid well. from what she told me, it was  merv griffin that gave the segment to jonathan and he kept it but had no way of playing it because it was on the giant 2" videotape that was used in the 60s. abc also gave some kinescope episodes to jonathan. he gave all this to the girl. she copied the 2" merv segment to vhs at abc. she lent me the kinescopes and i transfered those to vhs at the tv station i was working at the time in exchange for a copy of the merv tape. the kinescoped episodes and that merv segment got circulated around fandom long before mpi released the merv segment on dvd. the kinescopes were treasures at the time too because the episodes had not yet been syndicated and they had original commercials. ah what memories of early fandom when just seeing an episode not seen since the 60s was such a treat!  

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
What episodes were they, Joe?  Just curious...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 02:18:19 PM »
Yes, you did. ;)  You didn't have to clutch at my feet however. >:D

But my purpose in stating the above is that my observation has been it is more the exception than the rule for contributors to overall fandom to be "credited."  That's not to say that is appropriate, but just how it is for whatever reason.  For example, Joe has been around for a long time in the fandom and has probably contributed far more than what we are talking about in terms of discovering this and that or sharing information about how to get ahold of something.  I've done lots of things "behind the scenes" as have others as a contribution towards the fandom and it's not really been noted.  In fact, I've been thanked for things I had nothing to do with!

Nancy

I thanked you privately, Nancy, and now I thank you here! It was a wonderful treat and a big surprise!  :D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »
Is that really true?  What's the story behind this?  When...where...?  What did she do with it?

Yep, she told this story at a Fest many years ago.  She'd had the day off but went to the studio to get her paycheck or shooting schedule, can't remember which, and Jon was there gettting a haircut from Vinnie Loscalzo.  She went in to say hello and noticed all the hair on the floor.  She asked Jon, "Jonathan, is that ALL your hair?"  He looked down and said, "Yep" and she replied, "We should sweep it up and sell it one day, I bet we'd get a ton of money for it!" (even then she had that businesswoman mind going, LOL!).  Jon replied w/something like, "Oh don't be silly, go on!"  But she swept it up and put it away.

Years later, at a Fest, she indeed sold it in one of the 2 auctions.  Can't remember the price they got for it, but it was pretty steep, couple hundred bucks as I recall.  ;)  I often joke w/friends that she has his gall bladder from that surgery he underwent and has it in a jar of fermeldahyde (sp?) w/plans to auction IT off one day, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"