Author Topic: I've seen it all!  (Read 2665 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
I've seen it all!
« on: August 16, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
Well cousins, yesterday I watched the last of the DS eps I'd never seen!  I can now join the ranks of fans who have viewed all 1225 eps of the show! Yippee!!!

Now, some comments about the ep where [spoiler]Gerard's zombies tear up Collinwood.  Julia opens the door in the hallway of the west wing where the playroom is and discovers the Staircase Through Time.  Barnabas on the other hand is overpowered by said zombies and she escapes to 1840 alone.

My question, why wouldn't Barnabas use his supernatural strength to very easily throw off the zombies and escape too?  As an added thing he could have bared his fangs ala Ben Cross and scared them away too.  Doesn't really ring true in my book.

However, having said that, it DOES make it more dramatic when he finally I-Chings himself back to his now released 1840 body.  That scene where he's about to kill Julia, whom he of course doesn't know, for interferring w/his plans for Roxanne and then faints, only to revive himself and cower before her cross before explaining he's the Barnabas from 1970 is probably my favorite scene between the two of them.   ;D  Love that this scene is included in Guy Haines' music video about Barnabas & Julia.   8)[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I've seen it all!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 05:17:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ! congratulations !  ;D ;D ;D

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »
Cool - congrats on watching all the eps!

Regarding Barnabas and the zombies I've posted my theories in an earlier thread but I figure -

[spoiler]After Julia descends the staircase Barnabas either:

1.) Disappears
 2.) Turns into a bat and flies away from the zombies
 3.) My personal favorite - opens up a can of vampiric whoop-ass on those zombies. [/spoiler]
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »
 Welcome to the club Buzz. I've seen the entire series twice. Very rarely will you find logic in the show. So many things that happen on Dark Shadows don't make sense but I guess that adds to the charm of the show. Collinwood had so many supernatural beings over the years yet every time a new one would pop up the first person to see it was told by the rest, Thats imposible you must have imagined it.    Elmont...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »
So many things that happen on Dark Shadows don't make sense but I guess that adds to the charm of the show. Collinwood had so many supernatural beings over the years yet every time a new one would pop up the first person to see it was told by the rest, Thats imposible you must have imagined it.

Perhaps part of [spoiler]Judah Zachery's curse on the Collins family[/spoiler]was that, while they wouldn't forget that something strange had happened, all belief that it was somehow connected to the supernatural/paranormal would completely leave most family members' and friends' minds until they were forced to confront the supernatural/paranormal again - only to forget it all over again until the next time. Only a select few were able to escape that part of the curse due to their own inner will and fortitude. And if so, that [spoiler]Judah[/spoiler]was truly diabolical!  :o  [lghy]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:25:30 AM »
Congratulations!!  I've only seen pre-Barnabas once, and somehow I missed one episode, so I've still never seen that one!

The 1840 scene you refer to with Barnabas and Julia is wonderful.  I always loved the timing of those events.
Josette

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 07:33:02 AM »
Congratulations, BuzzH!  What comes next?  Climbing Mount Everest?  Curing cancer?  Oops - I forgot the 2,000 posts!

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »
Ok, what's next for you?  All various incarnations of Star Trek?  If you're in a soapy mood, I'd reccomend The Forsyte Saga (the original and best  B/W version!), Upstairs, Downstairs, I, Claudius, or Dallas, which currently has five seasons out on DVD.  And then there's Soap, which like DS was set in New England and even had some supernatural storylines!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:29:58 PM »
If I were going to conquer the next, best cult/supernatural/weird/richcaharcterswithgoodactors/soapelements/serial, I would go with "Twin Peaks."  [cheer]   [grim] It also has an annual convention, although unlike Dark Shadows, I think there shows are much smaller and there conventions are more likely to fade out. I love the TV shows although. First Season was out on DVD but OOP, I understand both seaosn may be issued in DVD soon.  [beg2]  One other caveat, they did end on a major cliffhanger which I suspect, other than fan fiction, WILL never be resolved, as the cast and crew is very unlikely to be reassembled. :'(

Michael 
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 03:34:22 PM »
One other caveat, they did end on a major cliffhanger which I suspect, other than fan fiction, WILL never be resolved, as the cast and crew is very unlikely to be reassembled. :'(

This was sadly the case w/last year's show Invasion.  I was actually ready for it to end, but it ended w/a cliffhanger that we'll never get a resolution to, especially since the guy that played the sherrif, William Fichtner, is now on Prision BreakReunion also did this, ended in the middle of the year and we didn't get about 1/2 the eps so we'll never know who killed Samantha or why.   :'(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 07:28:52 PM »
Hmmmm.......I guess I've been doing myself a favor by not getting involved in much television any more...I don't have to rip my hair out when a show I'm invested in just fades away.

Of course that phenomenon is not new.....some of the best television programming ever created never got the chance to find its audience before some bean-counter pulled the plug.  I'd make a list, but that would only send us furthur into "What's this got to do with Dark Shadows?" land and we don't want to go there.

Yes, just when you think TV can't get any more banal and stupid than it already is, they come up with something even lower on the food chain...... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »
[Reunion also did this, ended in the middle of the year and we didn't get about 1/2 the eps so we'll never know who killed Samantha or why.   :'(

Wow, another "Reunion" viewer!  My mom and I were furious when Fox pulled the show (ditto ABC and "Commander in Chief".)  I keep hoping for a DVD release with the additional episodes.  PM me if you want to talk further, BuzzH.

I guess we're fortunate DS aired when it did, because in today's market, it might never have lasted long enough for Barnabas or Laura to appear.

ProfStokes

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »
Yes, just when you think TV can't get any more banal and stupid than it already is, they come up with something even lower on the food chain...... ::)

Dancing With the Stars comes IMMEDIATELY to mind, as does Celebrity Duets, Skating W/Celebrity's, I could go on, but, why?   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 10:49:48 PM »
no one mentioned, "night stalker" and "surface"? night stalker was yanked before they showed part 2 of a two part episode. at least the sci-fi channel will show it.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 04:53:32 AM »
This is another reason I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, other than what I buy on DVD (which as of now is regulated to DS, MST3K and Miami Vice).

I thought Brimstone on FOX was a totally unique and brillant show, but alas, they yanked it after (I believe) 13 episodes.