Author Topic: WHICH WITCH  (Read 1193 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
WHICH WITCH
« on: April 26, 2002, 03:36:36 PM »
This is an opportunity to rate the witch. Not good or bad-that is too easy.  Below is a list of her many forms or should I say appearances. Consider how the character operated in the scheme of things.

1692 Miranda/Angelique
1795 Angelique Bouchard
1840 Angelique/Valerie Collins
1897 Angelique duVal
1970PT Angelique/Alexis
1967-71 Cassandra/Angelique
1967/71 Vampire Angelique
1967/71 Leviathan Angelique(Rumson)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: WHICH WITCH
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 03:53:17 AM »
By the response to this  post,  it looks like everyone is afraid  :oof the witch!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2002, 04:16:16 AM »
By the response to this  post,  it looks like everyone is afraid  :oof the witch!

I actually started to answer, but my computer froze!  Coincidence, I think not  ;)  VAM, I fear, I'm going to be vitrolic, so you might not want to read on.

Cassangelique -- it was Nicky who coined that name, I do believe.  This is my favorite incarnation.  Maybe it's the wig or the day-glo clothes  8)
Quite the mix of hysterical incompetence and malicious vengeance.  Adore the scenes she has with Nicholas.  Incidentally, the only incarnation that I actually enjoy doing fanfic for--and I paired her with my beloved Perry Cartwright, so that has to mean there's something there.

Angelique Bouchard -- Made the most sense storywise.  Fairly basic character, woman scorned and all that, but the logic behind the creation was there.  Most coherent, most suitable for the purposes of plot.  And a handsdown great character.

Angelique duVal--the off-again/on-again evil/good thing made no sense in the narrative.  And my God, what a bitch!  Poor Beth.  After what she did to Beth (and for absolutely no reason), any interest or sympathy I could have had was gone out the window (and yes, I did occasionally have some sympathy and interest).

Vampire Angelique--bad, bad clothes.  Not that she was ever the most cerebral of characters, but it was she was on autopilot.  Did I say bad clothes? Still kind of a sexuality hunger thing going on there.  But the clothes?  

PT Angelique--a supernatural Martha Stewart.  No taste whatsover (anyone who would even pass the time of day with Bruno "I got my wardrobe from the Broadway remake of Guys and Dolls Hess has no taste.  And remember the orange drapes???) and mean as a snake.  At least the RT incarnations had some soupcon of decency to them.  This one would have slept with the entire 7th fleet just to prove how above morality she was.

PT Alexis--they could have done more with her.  Stupid as all get out, but there was some potential.

Leviathan Angelique(Rumson) Bored me.  Admittedly I can see that modeling would have appealed to Angelique, but never really cared about her one way or the other.  Actually, I never cared much about anyone in the Leviathan mess, so it's not a personal thing.  Besides, possibly the worst packer I have ever seen on tv  ;)

Angelique/Valerie Collins--never quite bought this.  The character's conversion to "good" was not really carried out throughout the narrative (bad writing) so it didn't make a lot of sense.  And what was with all that "my name is Valerie?" crap?  There was something wrong with Angelique?  Like there was anyone alive who remembered who Angelique was?

Miranda/Angelique--the 1692 version.  Yawn.  Made no sense in terms of what was already written.  Can't remember much else about her except that by then I'd so stopped caring.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 12:14:21 PM »

Angelique-1795- I thought this was the best character she played since it showed how & why the reason she did the things she did. Here we got to see her just starting out as a witch and using the powers that she had. In this storyline she had a real purpose on doing the things she did. We saw her life first hand as she just arrived as only a mere servant girl and then watched her completley change her status. I also liked seeing how Barnabas treated her before he found out she was a witch because for the rest of the show thereafter, they were always at each others throats.

SPOILER........SPOILER...........SPOILER............SPOILER...
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Cassandra/Angelique-Another good one for her. Here she comes back for more. She just couldn't let time go by after she found out that Barnabas was up and about again. This time around she was more out for revenge than love. She seemed more evil here than she was in the last storyline when we first met her. And also, the occupants here weren't so naive to her as they were in 1795. They caught on to her pretty quick here and I think that frustrated her alot, as she found that it wasn't so easy for her to get what she wanted this time around. So it became more necessary for her to react with more force than she had before. I also liked seeing her interact with Nickolas Blair, as here was someone more powerful than herself and didn't hesitate to put her in her place when needed.

Angelique Duval-It was good seeing her here again in this timeframe, although she didn't seem to have as much purpose here as she did before. That whole thing wanted to be with Quentin, just didn't seem to fit her character at all. It made no sense to me. She had been in love with Barnabas for centuries now, then suddenly, she's after Quentin? And the reason she gave Barnabas for this was simply "because she's bored." It seemed out of character for her. And as Luciaphil had stated, it was terrible what she did to poor Beth. She didn't love Quentin any more than she loved Ben, or anyone else for that matter.

Vampire Angelique-Another strange one. Granted, it was good seeing her become what she had made Barnabas, but it just didn't fit quite right with her, at least to me anyway. I hated what she did to poor Joe and how she broke up his relationship with Maggie. This seemed pointless to me. She spent most of her time at the Blair house and didn't have much to do except wait for "victims" to come along. I like her much better as a witch.

Leviathan Angelique-It was strange seeing her actually "happily married" to someone for a change. That bit about giving up her powers just didn't sit right by me. That whole plot with her having Liz & Carolyn stay over her house was the worst thing by far. Carolyn kept telling her that she looked familiar to her and here, she has the portrait of her as Angelique hanging right there in full view, and still, no one catches on?? I mean, did everyone forget Cassandra that quick? She didnt have much purpose here except being married to Sky Rumson. The ending was the worst. Why she cast that spell on Maggie & Quentin is beyond me. Whatever happened with that one? They sort of just left you hanging there.

Miranda/Angelique-There really wasn't much here about her that you could tell about, except that she testified at Judah's trial and turned against him.

As for the other "Angeliques" I really don't remember much about them so I guess I'll have to pass on this one.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2002, 01:49:06 PM »
1692 Miranda/Angelique - I thought she looked about 16 in those brief scenes with that little cap on her head.  I'd have liked to see her fleshed out more, watched how she evolved into Angelique.

1795 Angelique Bouchard - The only well-written, fully fleshed of the bunch.  She always told Barn she was a woman first, witch second, and the way she pursued him through the centuries proved that utterly, LOL.  She was mean, bitchy and very real, proving that a woman scorned with powers is a force to be reckoned with.  I think Barnabas learned a valuable lesson about keeping his pants up, but too late, unfortunately.

1840 Angelique/Valerie Collins - She started out so mean, she turned Barnabas' love in that century into a vampire--and had that vampire feasting on poor Julia, too!  Nasty, nasty!  Her evolving into the human woman who made sure Quentin and Desmond were freed made for dramatic, if uneven, melodrama.  And even though there appears to be absolutely no reason for Barnabas to declare his love for her, in 1970 when it happened, I was one overjoyed viewer--but I've written too much since that eloquently describes why this should NOT have happened, much of it viable.  

1897 Angelique duVal - She changed her sights from Barn to Quentin, inexplicably, but they did look good together.  She later confesses it was all a device, because Barnabas was her true love.  It did make her seem like a spoiled, foolish woman.  

1970PT Angelique/Alexis - a bitch on wheels.  The way she murdered her sister was amongst DS' most chilling scenes.  Loved her battles with Barnabas.  It's a good thing I like this actress, 'cause she and Selby pretty much carried this storyline--and it got boooorrrring!

1967-71 Cassandra/Angelique - A witch without redeeming qualities, although once she's decrepit and begs for Barn's forgiveness, which he's unable to give, I felt somewhat sorry for her.  She was like a spider always getting caught in her own web.

1967/71 Vampire Angelique - Adored her, and unlike Luciaphil, actually found her black velvet and flowing white gown nifty and character-appropriate.  Her biting scenes with Barnabas were both erotic and cruel.  Parker once said in an interview that to her, the vampire bite was like an orgasm.  Hers fit the bill, IMHO!

1967/71 Leviathan Angelique(Rumson) - Enjoyed seeing her as a human female just being a rich guy's wife (she'd never have settled for less).  Of course, once Barnabas re-enters her life, she bollixes everything up, and her placing a love spell on Maggie and Quentin was same old, same old, and totally annoyed me.  It was taking several steps backwards for a gal who has supposedly changed for the better.  Blah.

That was fun!

Love, Robin

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2002, 02:03:02 PM »

That was fun!

Love, Robin

Thanks Robin! I thought the topic would lend for a good discussion and your critique was interesting.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
Our Favorite Witch
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2002, 07:16:13 PM »
Cassandra -- Ah, poor dear, doomed Cassandra.  I have a thing for bewigged blonde actresses in the 60's (witness Serena and Jeannie II), and Lara Parker proves no exception.  Her clothes are to die for (sometimes literally), she gets the wackiest spells ("Do you know what your problem is, and always has been?") and she gets aged, not once, but TWICE!  I've never admitted this to anyone (!) but I get a little bored by the end of this storyline, just because I hate seeing Cassandra subservient to Nicholas Blair, tho the turnaround is fair play principle comes to the rescue later on.

VampAng -- Yawn.  I think someone here was talking about how she spent all her time in the House by the Sea waiting for victims.  Yup, that pretty much sums her up.

Angelique Rumson -- My true favorite.  Her appearances are few and far between, making them much more highly anticipated, at least for me, and besides, Mrs. Rumson figures prominently in my favorite DS episode of all time -- when the Leviathan crap hits the fan ... Sky tries to torch Ang, she flees to Collinwood, gets all hot and bothered, then puts the whammy on Maggie and Quentin.  I still get all tingly watching her do that spell outside on the terrace -- "I am what I was and what I shall always be.  I call upon the powers of darkness to help me once again ..."  Brrrr.  And she gets some great cat-and-mouse scenes with Jeb and Nicholas.  And the clothes are great again.

Valerie -- I hate the transition from ... ahem ... "good" to "bad".  Very little coloring, shading, or depth, and I HATE the fact that she doesn't remember the present.  Plus all the revisionistic crap -- and what was with that sorry excuse for a Miranda DuVal plot development??? -- rankles the purist in me.

1897 Ang DuVal/DuBois -- I enjoy her a great deal.  She's all-powerful (for the most part) and pops in and out at will, again, whetting my appetite for her return.  Unfortunately they've saddled her with two dresses.  I kid you not.  Maybe there's three.  She spends the majority of the time in a green dragonlady dress.  I hope they paid the wardrobe mistress handsomely, at least for LP's sake.  Love the catfight with Laura, and some of the waltzing in and out of the shadows that Ang perfected in this time.  One of my favorite scenes occurs when a David-possessed Jamsion (don't ask) recognizes Angelique as Cassandra, and she delights in vaguing up her explanation for a confused Quentin.  

Let's not talk about PT.

Nicky
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2002, 07:54:05 PM »
Thanks Nicky for responding to the post. I was hoping you would do so.  I always enjoy reading your comments on "OUR FAVORITE WITCH" Angelique!

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Our Favorite Witch
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2002, 02:28:53 AM »
1897 Ang DuVal/DuBois -- I enjoy her a great deal.  She's all-powerful (for the most part) and pops in and out at will, again, whetting my appetite for her return.  Unfortunately they've saddled her with two dresses.  I kid you not.  Maybe there's three.  She spends the majority of the time in a green dragonlady dress.  

You know, LP never lucked out with the hair and the clothes at the same time.  Usually one was atrocious and the other was great or vice versa.  I loved her wardrobe as Cassandra, but those wigs, oy, especially the first one, lol.  She had great hair for 1897, but you're right about her clothes--although, I was rather partial to the poison green dress.  And then later on she's got those weird Swiss Miss braids and stuff with the 'do and it's just scary, but the wardrobe's good again.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2002, 01:26:42 PM »

And then later on she's got those weird Swiss Miss braids and stuff with the 'do and it's just scary, but the wardrobe's good again.

Luciaphil

Do explain what you mean by the "'do" and by the way, she is suppose to be "scary" :o because did anyone tell you she is a WITCH!-just teasing ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2002, 02:52:35 PM »

Do explain what you mean by the "'do" and by the way, she is suppose to be "scary" :o because did anyone tell you she is a WITCH!-just teasing ;)

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately as I disliked it so), I do not have any pics of the coiffure saved on my computer, but I refer to all the Swiss Miss little braids and loops and whorls of the massive blonde tresses (and presumably wiglike things  8)).  It's just ungainly and I don't give a damn how fashionable it might have been back then.  Too distracting and generally very unattractive.

And now the Luciaphil Translation machine kicks in  :D
Evil, scary, bad=(In the context of fashion)
1. What in the name of God is he/she wearing?
2. I didn't know human hair could look like that.
3. Did the wardrobe people hate him/her that much?
4. You would think a servant of the devil/person holding a M.D./member of the richest family in town would have a better wardrobe.
5. That thing/hair style/makeup is so ugly, it could frighten small children.

;D
Luciaphil

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2002, 03:55:49 PM »
I LOVE seeing "Evil, scary, bad" in your sartorial critiques...it's usually a prelude to a hilarious fashion put-down!.....and your translation is a hoot!!  [lghy]

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2002, 08:10:44 PM »

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately as I disliked it so), I do not have any pics of the coiffure saved on my computer, but I refer to all the Swiss Miss little braids and loops and whorls of the massive blonde tresses (and presumably wiglike things  8)).  It's just ungainly and I don't give a damn how fashionable it might have been back then.  Too distracting and generally very unattractive.

And now the Luciaphil Translation machine kicks in  :D
Evil, scary, bad=(In the context of fashion)
1. What in the name of God is he/she wearing?
2. I didn't know human hair could look like that.
3. Did the wardrobe people hate him/her that much?
4. You would think a servant of the devil/person holding a M.D./member of the richest family in town would have a better wardrobe.
5. That thing/hair style/makeup is so ugly, it could frighten small children.

;D
Luciaphil

From sweet witch to "scary" Swiss Miss, only Lara Parker could pull that one off....

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2002, 11:14:43 PM »
of all the Angeliques 1795 is my favorite She pretty
consistent here She "loves" Barnabas and tries to destroy anyone who even tries to talk to him.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
I hated Cassandra and the Vamp/Ang also hated her outfits i would have made Tom J my soulmate for eternity
also 1897 Angelique was mean to poor Beth that was nasty nasty !

Angelique Rumson was boring until she went after Jeb and Bruno but that paper thing that chased Jeb looked
like something my son cut out in preschool and brings
home and i have to pretend to know what it is!

PT Angelique had a thing with BRUNO and that alone
should send one to Wyndcliff there aren't enough antiemetics in the world for that one!
I liked Alexis though poor thing !

fun post Vam!

jennifer

Oh forgot Val i never understood her not remebering the present but she did finally save Quentin and Desmond
but fitting that she died as she really was a nasty piece!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV