Author Topic: Alexandra Isles Film "Scandalize My Name" on DVD  (Read 871 times)

David

Alexandra Isles Film "Scandalize My Name" on DVD
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:59:02 AM »
I picked this winner up at Tower today. It was her second film, and it's brilliant!

Hosted by an on camera Morgan Freeman, the documentary deals with how the Hollywood Blacklist affected Black actors/artists.

The tragedy of actors Paul Robeson & Canada Lee whose livlihoods~~and lives~~were taken from them during this shameful period, are illustrated. Robeson, the greatest American male voice of the 20th century, is heard in old recordings.

Survivors from the period like Harry Belafonte & Ossie Davis are interviewed. The traic life of musician Hazel Scott is also told.

The film is a magnificent must see. Isles should be proud. We should all be proud of her.

David

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra Isles Film "Scandalize My Name" on DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:37:46 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! Any extras on the disc? Director's commentary or interview w/Moltke?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:41:02 AM »
No extras or commentary. Much to my surprise, the 55 minute film has no chapter search either!!!

But the film is so good, I forgive the distributor. I'm just glad Isles' work is getting out there.

David

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 02:46:05 AM »
Thanks for posting this...I am looking forward to watching her DVDs. I totally spaced on watching her latest last week on PBS...hoping it will rerun.
Wiley S.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »
Good to hear that this has reached DVD.  I have caught it a few times on one of the BET stations -- once even from the beginning!  :o (Each time purely by accident because I zone out on detailed searching of TV listings lately.)  I live in one of NYC's Boroughs, so we have a few of their stations, and I haven't a clue which one I hit to find this, or whether it might even have been Black Starz.

However for anyone who hasn't seen it and can't get their hands on the DVD, it would be worth a detailed search.  The documentary seems well done and well researched. That's why i stopped to watch it actually, only later tumbling to the fact that this was Ms. Isles "Scandalize My Name".

As to the new documentary on the Healing Gardens of NY -- after taping the initial broadcast, I have stumbled over it a couple times on the bounce.  They're now in the midst of a begathon, so no telling whether that will increase or decrease the odds of it being rerun again soon.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics