Author Topic: Grayson Hall--Better than Heroin!  (Read 3674 times)

David

Thanks!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »
Thanks, Midnite.
Which reminds me, I have a Lara Parker tape to send you!

Gargoyles, I recall watching it in '72. I have the disc of it, and I need to sit down and watch it again. This thread may inspire me to do that.

Grayson's superb Night Gallery episode, Certain SHADOWS on the Wall, can be found on the box set Night Gallery Season One. She and Rachel Roberts made a creepy pair!

Anyone see Grayson's sexy~~yes. sexy~~turn in the 1970 film End of the Road? She appears TOPLESS in a scene with Stacy Keach!

David

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Grayson Hall--Better than Heroin!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
{squeal}
I couldn't let a thread like this go by without adding my odd three cents... ;)

To use that cliche, if Grayson had merely read aloud from the phone book, I would have loved it...

Here, here!

I love watching her infuriate the other characters during those early scenes, as well as her early scenes of cat and mouse with Jonathan Frid.  It adds so much to the storyline, having an 18th century man deal with a very modern 20th century woman.  That storyline would not have been nearly as compelling if the character had been "Julius Hoffman."

Absolutely! There are SO many scenes I could talk about (I don't think there was a Julia or Magda scene I *didn't* like), but here's a few that come to mind (I'm going to try to name these in the order in which I first saw them): In relation to the "early" Julia episodes, the time when [spoiler]Julia "the historian" first arrives at Collinwood. The moment when Julia pulls out a cigarette holder and lights up via Barnabas' antique candellabra...love it. Sly minx. And then, after she discovers Barnabas is a vampire (liked how she used her compact to check his non-reflective properties in one scene - and then, how she climbs through the OH drawing room window to find him napping in the coffin, later.) The whole scene in her bedroom the following night, when Barnabas tried to kill her, but she so wisely placed a "dummy" in the bed. Instead she confronted the moody/violent soul, offering him a possible cure for his...condition. Lets just say that the quote "I've waited for you a long time, a VERY long time," will forever be a part of my DS vocabulary.[/spoiler]

Another great moment is the famous blooper (mistakenly left in some syndicated tapes and preserved on the MPI "Bloopers" tape) in which the director yells, "Cut!" during a scene.  Grayson turns to him and says in her "force to be reckoned with" way, "WHY."

Yes! I have that on on tape...one of those moments where I kept hitting the rewind button when I first saw it... lol

Anyway - back to Julia. In the earlier episodes, I also got a kick out of when we were first introduced to her trusty medallion...[spoiler]"find the center" has also become a permanent part of my DS vocabulary. I was on pins and needles watching how she tried to help yet outwit the vampire during those tense times. And then, when it all culminated in the scene where the big bad Barnabas attempts to strangle her to death, and Sarah shows up at just the right moment - one of the most poignant moments on the series.[/spoiler]

The Dave and Julia scenes were fun to watch too...another siuation which has made me wonder about Julia's mysterious past, how she got where she was, etc.

Natalie was great. I think the "Countess" Natalie Dupre thought so too...lol.  She isn't always brought up, but she had some fun scenes...
[spoiler]When she made her grand entrance at the OH; how she donned that theatrical ensemble, accidentally smacking Baranabas with her fluffy accessories. Loved that. She had some interesting/nice outfits in 1795, and of course she played the role of the concerned aunt quite well. Wish I could have her read my cards (no goofy pun intended)...lol[/spoiler]

Lets see...Of course I can't forget the moment when Julia got her "haircut." One of the best scenes, hands down.
[spoiler]The 1968-69 episodes will always be a favorite of mine...loved seeing how the rocky relationship between the doctor and the former vampire evolved before the viewers eyes (I'm one of those odd ones who prefers Barnabas when he's not a vampire...I'm also an unapologetic B&J nut, but...I digress.)[/spoiler]

And of course, how can i forget the TOMMMMM Jennings episodes...[spoiler]the moment when Julia meets Mr. suave vampire in the woods, dying for a little love bite, and then later, does a little scarf strip-tease for him...wow.
I appreciated how Barnabas helped his "dear friend" at the climax of that scenerio - his worring, the way he revealed how he cared for her more than he led on (after Willie kept asking him about it), and then when Barnabas carried her back to the Old House from the cold crypt where Tom had left her. Also liked the moment when Julia, covered up by one of the infamous afgans, received a few visitors when she was still recovering from her ordeal...she was a trooper. Everyone was at her bedside. Liz, Roger, Barnabas, even Nicholas...[/spoiler]

Well, this is turning into a tome, but what the hell...

How about some of the scenes between Julia and Chris? ;) [spoiler]Can't forget the episode when Julia goes down to the cottage in nothing but her nightgown and robe. I for one still wonder what was going on, behind the closed bedroom door,  when she had to treat Chris after he consumed that poisoned whisky. And then when little Amy showed up, the morning after, to see her brother, and Julia opened the door...
[/spoiler]

Magda. What can i say? Every scene was a treasure...even down to her outfit. Being a detailed oriented artsy nut, I always loved her colorful clothes, and the jewelry. As rich as her earthy mannerisms and dialogue. [spoiler](although, I must admit that I wish Magda would've been allowed to don another unique outfit, now and then...surely Mr. Barnabas could've pitched in for that.  ::) I mean, even Magda herself hinted at that in one scene, between her and Laura Collins (when she was "hired" by Quentin to help Laura, when Laura popped up at Collinwood in 1897. While Magda is helping the firery woman unpack, she holds up a bright dress and says something to the effect of: "so, when you get tired/rid of this, will you give it to Magda?")

Poor woman never got a break. First her Sandor was taken away from her, and then...
Well okay, she put the curse on the Q. man, but in the end, Magda was very loyal to those she loved, and was a good person at heart. The second she learned of Quentin's kids, she did everything she could think of to get rid of the curse, however futile it was...
And the scene when Magda/Grayson sheds a few tears...omg, it always chokes me up...  :'([/spoiler]

Speaking of 1897 - when Julia [spoiler]arrives via the I-Ching, loved how Barnabas and Julia seemed to communicate over time and space (not just the moment when Jules finds his letter in the secretary, but later, when Barnabas heard her voice as her life force entered that time. Although he was mystified who it was at first...go figure.). And then, later on, when Julia was treating him, administering injections to get rid of his vampirism...loved the scene when Barnabas starts going off about Kitty, how he is changing their plans all of a sudden. Gawd, he can be blind as a bat sometimes. I chortle hearilty at Julia's reaction, how she gets a bit rough with him when she administers the injection that night...grrowl.

Oh - I also liked the moment when Julia and Angie are talking one night in 1897, about their favorite subject: the B man.  As much as Angie infuriates me at times, I really thought it a nice change of pace to have Angelique and Jules talking instead of fueding, working together, a little heart to heart of sorts...[/spoiler]

Hmm...what haven't I mentioned yet? lol
I adore Julia's character during the Leviathan episodes. [spoiler]She was the glue that kept things together, IMHO...helping Quentin, Barnabas, Chris, and trying to figure out what in the hell was going on with the faceless terror at the same time.

During one episode, Barnabas acts regretful that his friend has to be involved in the mess around them, and she replies something to the effect of that whatever she's done she's done willingly, wants to help, etc...
Julia went through a lot, and she was no saint, but I really have to admire the evolution of her character during the series.[/spoiler]

PT Hoffman - what a deliciously complex character. [spoiler]And then when RT Julia arrives, and kills her counterpart in order to protect Barnabas....wow. Another moment when I wore out the rewind button...

And then when Julia decided to pose as Hoffman, Grayson played that character within a character very well, IMO (got a kick outta the moment when she admitted to Will that she cared for Barnabas, and that's one reason she was doing what she was doing.)  Who can forget when PT Angie locked Julia in one of the basement's secret rooms, and Julia  was trapped for days - oy, the tension![/spoiler]

Julia had a few great scenes in 1840, of course. [spoiler]A few of her costumes were nice, IMO...especially a certain burnt orange dress that complemented her hair, and then the grey one of course.
I enjoyed the few scenes between Julia and Ben, when she first arrived in that time. And then when she was possessed by the head of Judah (no pun intended).
Oh - I can't forget the moment when she almost blurts out how much she cares for Mr. collins, right after Angie cures him. The look on both of their faces in that scene...another "pause and rewind" moment overload. ;)
I also found it particularly poignant when Barnabas rescues Julia from the vampire Roxanne (the way Julia was calling for Barnabas, she was so close to death - he made it just in time), and of course the look on Jules face after Barnabas "admits" [cough] he "loved" Angie, near the end...
But B&J (and Stokes) end up returning to the present together (and it was left rather open-ended how things would have turned out for Julia and company) so...that's all that really matters, to me. {evil cackle}[/spoiler]

1841 PT Julia was intriguing...her outfits, too. LOL [spoiler]I really enjoyed the scenes between Julia and Kendrick, and Julia and Melanie.
The short lived Constance was a riot in her own way...especially that pratfall on the bed.[/spoiler]

Well, that's all I could think of, for now {whew}...sorry if I went off on a tangent there. {chortle}.  :-
Kudos to RJ and the upcoming bio... :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »
Gargoyles, I recall watching it in '72. I have the disc of it, and I need to sit down and watch it again. This thread may inspire me to do that.

The Grayson moments are great in that one...then again I think that about almost everything I have seen her in...  ::) ;D

...gotta love the outfit. ;)

Anyone see Grayson's sexy~~yes. sexy~~turn in the 1970 film End of the Road?
She appears TOPLESS in a scene with Stacy Keach!

I was never the same after i saw that movie...
I was warned, but I didn't listen... :-X  ;D
The dialogue in that particular scene is priceless. And it inspired me to do an off-the-wall illustration, so...that was good.   ^-^

David

Heather
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »
May we see this illustration, thanks!

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 07:49:03 PM »
...gotta love the outfit. ;)

No joke, Grayson in JEANS!?  Too much!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 04:12:23 AM »
May we see this illustration, thanks!

The particular one I was referring to can be found here:
Yes, me again.  ::)  ;) I hesitated to post this, but what the hey; here's a couple illustrations I did recently....

I have others but I haven't gotten around to scanning them yet...

hugs,
Heather

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »
Heather, you are a GEM!  I love coming here and seeing those snapshots from Gargoyles.  Thank you so much for including the scene where she rushes into the sheriff's office, goes STRAIGHT for the drawer where he keeps the "emergency liquor supply," grabs the bottle and takes a few good strong slugs.  I think as she's grabbing the bottle the deputy is about to say something like "Take it EASY, Mrs. Parks!"  Great stuff.

Thank you for a bright spot of my week!  Now, if only some good samaritan could add some snapshots of Hoffman at her most sinister and smug... I love the scene where, with gritted teeth, [spoiler]Hoffman complains to Angel/Exis, a propos of Maggie:  "I HATE taking ORDERS from her!"  ANY scene involving Hoffman in PT is truly better than Heroin![/spoiler]

A lifelong Hall-o-holic,

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 12:55:14 AM »
[spoiler]Can't forget the episode when Julia goes down to the cottage in nothing but her nightgown and robe. I for one still wonder what was going on, behind the closed bedroom door[/spoiler]

Really? I never would have picked up on that.  [vryevl]

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 02:51:49 AM »
I love Grayson in every scene she did but one of my favorites was when she told Ned Stuart she'd send him a bill. It just cracks me up every time I see it.

Wiley S.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 07:19:13 PM »
wow too many scenes to think of but i love her as julia the most
when she meets quentin oh lala... scenes when she is with barnabas
helping him she was the best Magda is my second favorite she had the lines!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »
I was working on the video for the Fest yesterday and though I think I'll need a vat of smelling salts for folks (seriously i've seen 3 different 40 year old men scream as if St. Bernadette herself were being defiled) --the sex scene from End of the Road will be a part the montage.
Julia99

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 05:40:57 AM »
In addition to all the works quoted in this thread (most of which I have on tape or DVD), I've had the pleasure (??) of finding copies of Grayson's work in a couple of other rare films:  "Qui ƒªtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?"  and "The Parisienne and the Prudes."  Not much for her to do  in "Prudes," (only one short scene), but she's quite fun in "Polly Maggoo" even though it's all in French.

Brian

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »
I think Polly Maggoo is great fun too...I've seen a version with subtitles (although the picture and sound are not great quality), and a much higher quality version that's all in french. As far as Grayson's role is concerned, her attitude, various hairstyles, makeup, and outfits are priceless. One highlight for me is when, [spoiler]after Miss. Maxwell looks over the layout of fashions, she emphatically states "Divine...DIVINE!" And of course when she says: "beep-beep!" to Polly near the end...[/spoiler]

I cracked up when i first saw that movie...(my initial reactions to Grayson's various roles were an interesting thing to behold... ::)) 8)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 01:29:11 PM »
I've seen End of the Road, and a lot of people are gonna raise a fuss over seeing her seduce Stacy Keach!  Oooooweeee!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 04:55:41 PM »
I've seen End of the Road, and a lot of people are gonna raise a fuss over seeing her seduce Stacy Keach!  Oooooweeee!

Like I said bring the smelling salts!

I decided to include it to show the range and versatility of her various performances and that she was a risk taker--

Julia99