Author Topic: Slightly-OT_HorrorFind Weekend in Baltimore  (Read 2510 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Slightly-OT_HorrorFind Weekend in Baltimore
« on: July 06, 2006, 07:53:48 PM »
Well, can't remember what thread it was where we were talking about this, so I'll start a new one.  Was just looking over the guest list for HorrorFind and I must say, it seems to have the cream of the B and C movie crop of non-celebs, LOL!  There were, however, some glaring omissions from the guest list, most notably: Billy Drago, Joe Lara, Charles Napier, Terry Kiser, Robert Tessier-okay, so he's dead, sue me!- ;), Michael Berryman and the ICON himself, Richard Lynch.  And why not, let's throw in younger brother Barry Lynch too (was hilarious in Ticks).

You'd think some of the DS cast would turn up at one of these things.  I mean, why not, it's a seller's market and several of them already do the Comic Book shows.  Ah well, I digress.

P.S. Priscilla Barnes hasn't looked THAT good in about 15 years btw, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly-OT_HorrorFind Weekend in Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »
Here's the latest mention via a search for HorrorFind using the search feature at the top of this board:

Its Horrorfind. Here a link www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland
Dates Aug 11-13. Some other guests include Denise Crosby, Priscilla Barnes, numerous zombies from the Romero films, Tony Todd, and Michael Rooker ("Henry:Portrait of  Seriel Killer") among others.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »
The only name that piques my interest in this line-up is Sybil Danning.  I thought she was a hoot in the Howling II!

However, her promotional photo on the site looks as if it is close to 25 years old.  Ah well.

Could be a fun event!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »
You'd think some of the DS cast would turn up at one of these things.  I mean, why not, it's a seller's market and several of them already do the Comic Book shows.

The only DS-related guest listed is Beth Massie, co-author of Dreams of the Dark.  No Mark Rainey?

I'm surprised Lara Parker isn't attending again this year.  Her book tour seems to consist of only San Diego, Burbank and Brooklyn signings.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:46:40 AM »
The only name that piques my interest in this line-up is Sybil Danning.  I thought she was a hoot in the Howling II!

However, her promotional photo on the site looks as if it is close to 25 years old.  Ah well.

Could be a fun event!

Ah, yes, Ms. Sybil Danning, the  fair-haired "Wanda Paisley of B-Horror Flicks" indeed!!!  [luv] [love3] [ltng] [laughing_devil]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 01:52:02 AM »
They've been slow to put up the literary guests this year; last I looked they hadn't put my pic up yet, but I'm listed on the reading schedule. I'm doing a reading at 10:45 that Saturday morning, and I'll have a table outside the dealer's room selling The Lebo Coven and Evermore (if the latter is out from Arkham House by then; it's supposed to have already come out, but the publisher's running way behind due to their managing editor having a severe stroke last year).

Anyway, if you're going to Horrorfind Weekend, come look me up. August 11-13, Hunt Valley Marriott (just north of Baltimore).

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
I'm surprised Lara Parker isn't attending again this year.  Her book tour seems to consist of only San Diego, Burbank and Brooklyn signings.

Yes, that's what I mean, and KLS has a new book and really, so does Marie, only a year old for her memoir.   [hdscrt]

The only name that piques my interest in this line-up is Sybil Danning.  I thought she was a hoot in the Howling II!  However, her promotional photo on the site looks as if it is close to 25 years old.  Ah well.

Exactly what I mean!  ;)  That pic of Priscilla Barnes HAD to be her headshot when she was on Three's Company!   ;D

Anyway, if you're going to HorrorFind come look me up. August 11-13, Hunt Valley Marriott (just north of Baltimore).

I would go, but alas, I'm going camping w/my family that weekend down in the Shenandoah Mountains.   :'(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:06:47 PM »
Referring to that headshot from earlier...Now, I ask you, dear cousins, does this look like a circa 2006 picture?   >:D
(Click on the link inside the quote in reply #1 and then scroll down to the 6th row under "MOVIE & TV CELEBRITIES")

Edited by moderators
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly-OT_HorrorFind Weekend in Baltimore, a review
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 04:02:20 AM »
I just wanted to post a brief report on the Horrorfind show, this past weekend...

First, the events of the past week crept in...Lead guest and the most recent actor to play Count Dracula, Rutger Hauer's original flight was canceled and he was unable to attend. Likewise, Adrienne Barbeau, Michael Rooker, and Denise Crosby also had airline problems and could not attend.
      The other lead guest, George Romero was there and the line to meet him was almost constant and an average 2 hour wait. At one point, they had a magician entertain the line. If you were a Romero and "Night of the Living Dead" series fan, you would have been in your element. There were several star from the series. Our nicest conversation was with the original "Johnny", Russ Steiner. John Russo, zombie extra and one of the original NOTLD's producers was also there. DS fans may remember Russo's company produced the mid-'90s series of Dark Shadows cards and the  well received portrait/posters of Barnabas, Angelique and Quentin.
        Other guests included Erin Gray, Dee Wallace Stone, Tony Todd, Sybil Danning and the original Halloween cast members Tom Atkins, Charles Cyphers and Nancy Loomis. Longtime DC Horror Host of "Creature Feature" (and former "Captain 20") Count Gore DeVol was charming and affable.
        The dealer's room was similar and almost the size of the main Chiller room, with many of the same dealers. I picked up two Sideshow figures, an extra Dwight Frye Renfield and Buffy's "The Master." Diane picked me up an early birthday present, with a British company's well done Hammer/Christpher Lee Dracula figure. About two dealers were offering the Majestic Dark Shadows figures. I also picked up one of the original "Night of Dark Shadows" promo green badges.
         I regret we didn't arrive in time to catch Mark Rainey's reading from his new book. It was a bit of a zoo upstairs and by the time we found the author's reading room, we were past time.
        We also managed to share lunch with some other Richmond friends and horror fans who drove up. Diane and I were spending the night at her parent's in Silver Spring. This was pretty good show. I had a better time than I was expecting. I think the only thing you might have wanted is a few more vintage collectibles, but they are disappearing to Ebay....

Michael                         
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 04:17:03 AM »
I just wanted to post a brief report on the Horrorfind show, this past weekend...
I picked up two Sideshow figures, an extra Dwight Frye Renfield and Buffy's "The Master." Diane picked me up an early birthday present, with a British company's well done Hammer/Christpher Lee Dracula figure.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time and thanks for the report! You have the Christopher Lee Dracula figure? **envy envy envy**

I thought George Romero couldn't enter the US because of a statutory rape charge. Is there a statue of limitations on those?

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »
arashi, You're thinking of Roman Polanski, who did one of my favorite scary movies, "Rosemary's Baby." (and the near horror film version of Macbeth, and the charming "Nosferatu" parody, "The Fearless Vampire Killers.") I do believe he still cannot re-enter the United States. While Diane was eager to meet George Romero as not only is NOTLD one of her favorites, her parents are from a town relatively close to Pittsburgh, Greensburg, which gets a mention in the original. With respect to his great talent, I wouldn't be a s quick to introduce Diane to Roman Polanski.  ;)
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 06:39:48 AM »
Ah! Sorry!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
Longtime DC Horror Host of "Creature Feature" (and former "Captain 20") Count Gore DeVol was charming and affable.

Ah, now *I'm* envious that you got to meet "The Count" aka "Captain 20"!  ;)  BIG part of my youth that man was! ;)  Did he have his infamous rubber chicken?
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 04:54:48 PM »
and the  well received portrait/posters of Barnabas, Angelique and Quentin.

I'd love to see these.  Can someone post the images of these posters or links to the images?  I think I've seen the Barnabas one in postcard form, but not the others.

Thanks,
- Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »
Horrorfind was pretty good to me this year. Anyone wishing to get the gory details from my perspective, there's a wrap-up at my Web site: http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/log.htm

I had several people ask if they could get autographed copies of DREAMS OF THE DARK. Alas, my personal stock is gone, and it's out of print, so I doubt I'll be able to get any more.

I was going to wear my DS T-shirt on Saturday, but came to find I'd left it out of my suitcase. It was still lying on the bed, waiting patiently to be packed when I got home. This getting old stuff sucks. :o