Author Topic: Change in Nathan and Funny Line  (Read 984 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Change in Nathan and Funny Line
« on: April 24, 2002, 10:03:19 AM »
What I don't understand is the change in Nathan.  Even Daniel commented that he even sounds different.  I can understand his present decision to kill him once he learned of the adoption plan.  But, until then, why was he being so mean?  He's married to Millicent.  She even conveniently became insane on her own.  I would think he'd maintain his good guy image.

By the way, my aunt has been asking why he's still in uniform.  He resigned his commission.

---

I found a very funny line today.  Daniel escapes from Noah and runs into the woods and Noah calls out after him, "Daniel, come back!"
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Change in Nathan and Funny Line
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 01:10:43 PM »

By the way, my aunt has been asking why he's still in uniform.  He resigned his commission.

---

I found a very funny line today.  Daniel escapes from Noah and runs into the woods and Noah calls out after him, "Daniel, come back!"

Boy, you can see Millicent gave all her money to Daniel... Nathan married to a Collins and there is no cash for clothing. ;D

Sure Daniel  please "come back" to never coming back! ::)

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 12:53:28 AM »
Why Nathan is acting so differently, my opinon is that it is one of those be careful what you wish for....Nathan wanted Millicent to go insane but now that she is what does that leave him a crazy wife without any money.  The other thing is he is sitting around drinking.  Boredom must have set in.  I think he is terrible frustrated.  Makes you wonder what would have happende if Millicent had not given her money to Daniel.  I think Nathan might have made her happy at least for awhile.  He was a rascal but I am sure he would have showed her a good time.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 02:34:47 AM »
I don't think that the change in Nathan rings true. But a villain was needed. I think he would have been more as he was at the trial and with Trask, weak and greedy, but still wanting to be liked and outwardly personable.

Still, I'll bet that Joel Crothers enjoyed the range of this role as opposed to always a good guy, boring Joe. [sleep]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 05:19:38 AM »
I don't think that the change in Nathan rings true. But a villain was needed. I think he would have been more as he was at the trial and with Trask, weak and greedy, but still wanting to be liked and outwardly personable.

Still, I'll bet that Joel Crothers enjoyed the range of this role as opposed to always a good guy, boring Joe. [sleep]

I agree, Kuanyin -- I've never felt that the change in Nathan from likable rogue to child-murder-plotting scoundrel rang true.

I think Crothers does well with both "roles," so to speak (the early Nathan as opposed to the "new" Nathan), but the material didn't allow for him to show if Nathan was always truly evil or if this was a gradual change.

Crothers was a very good actor, IMO.  He is probably the most natural actor on the series, in fact, when he plays Joe.  Just contrast his natural style of acting with the histrionics of some of the other actors on the show (there are many of these to come!), and you'll see what I mean ... No names necessary -- take your pick!

-Vlad

P.S. I've wondered, too, how he keeps that uniform looking so spiffy.  He must have a couple pairs of identical pants?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 10:32:57 AM »
I think the hint was there from the beginning, it just needed the right opportunity to arrive before it came out. When Nathan first met Vicky in the past, he remarked to her that "Barnabas is set to marry a very beautiful, and I might add,a very rich woman named Josette Dupre."  Right from the start he seemed to have thoughts of greed in his heart. Once Millicent signed over her fortune to Daniel, his true feelings finally came to the surface and he could no longer put on a "happy face." I do think he plays the part well, as his character is so believable you just want to kill him. A far cry from Joe I should say. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2002, 06:02:09 PM »
I've posted before that I always felt the change in Nathan was unrealistic, but reading some of the other posts have caused me to reconsider.  As Cassandra states, the potential IS there from the beginning.  Perhaps the writers should have made the reasons for the change clearer, and had it occur more gradually.   But for me, this is a minor criticism in what was overall a brilliantly written storyline.

One thing everyone seems to agree on is that Joel Crothers turned in an excellent performance!