Author Topic: John Yaeger - The Barnabas Collins That Never Was?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
John Yaeger - The Barnabas Collins That Never Was?
« on: June 13, 2006, 11:30:57 PM »
Watching the final 1970PT episodes dealing with John Yaeger, it was intriguing to see how his obsession with Maggie mirrors Barnabas obsession with her 1967RT counterpart. But what really struck me was the idea that perhaps the way things played out with Yaeger might have been the way things would have played out with Barnabas had DC gotten his way and the writers had stuck to the concept of Barnabas as the epitome of evil with very few, if any redeeming features. At last DC would have gotten to tell the story the way he wanted it, albeit with a totally different character...

It's also interesting to wonder if Barnabas would have caught on with the audience as much as he did if his original characterization had run the same course as Yaeger's did. While it's apparently true that vampires are seemingly inherently more sexy and intrinsically more appealing to an audience than, say, a Hyde-type might be, if Barnabas had been as all-out an evil villain as Yaeger was, would the audience still have felt a draw to Barnabas? Would anyone have really cared that Barnabas was gone after he was ultimately dispatched at the end of his storyline? And might he now garner about as much fan interest as Yaeger seems to command with us, as in, yes, he might have been an interesting villain but certainly not the most identifiable character many seem to associate with DS?

Also, given how much Yaeger resembles DC's original concept of Barnabas, [spoiler]how ironic is it that Barnabas ends up being the one to kill Yaeger?[/spoiler]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: John Yaeger - The Barnabas Collins That Never Was?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:06:09 AM »
You raise some very interesting points here.  I'd never thought about the parallels ( no pun intended) between Barnabas and Yaeger, but once you mention it it really does seem obvious.  And especially so in the Maggie obsession that you use for your example.

I remember  having come in as a kid with Chris the werewolf and the NICE Barnabas.  Then, the first time I saw the series through, I was totally shocked by seeing Barnabas as a psycho stalker.  Had he stayed that way, I don't think I would have had the same sympathy for the character.  Even at that, seeing it straight through did change the wholehearted sympathy I had had for him at first.

As to whether anyone would have cared if he was dispatched?  Probably not.

Good thing Dan Curtis DIDN'T get what he wanted, else DS would probably have been cancellled on schedule.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:09:42 AM »
It's also interesting to wonder if Barnabas would have caught on with the audience as much as he did if his original characterization had run the same course as Yaeger's did. While it's apparently true that vampires are seemingly inherently more sexy and intrinsically more appealing to an audience than, say, a Hyde-type might be, if Barnabas had been as all-out an evil villain as Yaeger was, would the audience still have felt a draw to Barnabas?

No.  Plain and simple. No.  The audience would NOT have been drawn to the character if he hadn't shown some human/merciful characteristics.  "Sexy" is not enough to win out over "cruel" or worse, "violent".  Those sad eyes were, perhaps, Frid's most important physical attribute.  Women want to "save" bad boys.  They want to be the reason they reform.

Besides, if Barnabas hadn't become more human, and less evil, there would have been no character developement.  It's that journey the audience wants to see unfold.  They want to watch the character go through hell, overcome, grow, discover, and metamorphose into a deeper and more interesting character.

Having said all that, Barnabas Collins could have morphed into a monarch butterfly and I still wouldn't have been sorry to see the end of him.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:23:46 AM »
Even at Barnabas' most brutal, early on, his character was tempered by the more far-sighted writers in his soliloquies to Josette and incidents like the story of her death, in which some regret and humanity is revealed.  Yeager had this sympathy in the Longworth side of his personality, but since they were so definively split, it left the viewer with one side who is a whining wallflower, and another who is a totally unrepentant scumbag! IMHO, both sides were devoid of sympathic elements.

From what I've heard, in spite of DC's plans to create a total villian of Barnabas, the writers, producer and Frid himself worked to give the character the kind of depth that would lead to those moments of humanity within the villiany which ultimately touched a chord in the show's audience.

Petofi

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »
i can't get past Yaeger's looks :o his makeup and hair were so bad they make donald trump
look good :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »
I can see it, especially with the Maggie obsession.  If Curtis went the Yaeger route with Barnabas though, I don't thiink the character would have caught on for nearly as long as he has.  He would have been too much of a Dracula-clone.  Taking the Dracula archetype and adding that element of pathos made Barnabas fascinating.  As petofi indicated, even early on there was something sad about Barnabas.  There was a real loneliness there which allowed us, despite his cruelty, to feel something for him.  Yaeger, on the other hand, was an unabashed heel.  He delighted in being evil.  I do think Barnabas took some pleasure in his evil actions (remember that wicked smile), but some part of him was in pain and we could feel that.  Not so with John Yaeger, who simply embodied the pure essence of evil.  I did feel a little bad for Longworth, but really, he WANTED to be Yaeger.  Some part of him craved the experience. 

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
there was something sad about Barnabas.  There was a real loneliness there which allowed us, despite his cruelty, to feel something for him.

Boy is that ever the truth.  Remember that scene early on when [spoiler]he's talking to Josette's portrait after meeting David for the first time and hearing David say how Josette would protect anyone, especially if they were a Collins?  He says to her, "I was a Collins.  Why didn't you protect me?  Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed?"  Of course, later we learn the answer to this, he'd sent her away to protect her from Angelique, but I digress...[/spoiler]

You really feel empathy even that early on for the guy.  At least I did.

I do think Barnabas took some pleasure in his evil actions (remember that wicked smile),

I came to love that evil smirk of his and was actually thinking about it just yesterday.  There's a scene where Jason's trying to learn his secret and they are playing a game of cat & mouse.  At one point Barnabas just SMIRKS at Jason, it's too funny!  ;)

I did feel a little bad for Longworth.

Yeah, I did too because he was so sweet.  Nice change to see Pennock play him after that cheap, insufferable pig Jeb!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:27:53 PM »
Hyde never "embodied evil" to me, whatever "evil" is.     Until he takes Maggie prisoner, mostly he just makes leering faces and implies he's capable of horrific things, without actually doing any.   For that reason, I can't take any interest.   He seems anemic as a villain.  He works so hard at sounding "evil", trying to convey it all with leers and tone of voice, for ages, that I want that hook they used to use to pull bad acts offstage to yank him off, before I have to waste any more time watching him.    He just seemed to be an annoying jerk.

Rebecca was famous enough, but redoing Jekyll and Hyde, a story every audience member would know, even the kids.....  and doing both at the same time....!

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:44:55 PM »
Until he takes Maggie prisoner, mostly he just makes leering faces and implies he's capable of horrific things, without actually doing any.

Um - did you see what Yaeger did to Buffie in Ep #1002? [spoiler]It is somewhat up to interpretation as to whether or not he actually did rape her, though that's strongly implied. But even if he didn't go that far,[/spoiler]what he obviously did do to her is decidedly horrific for any man to do to a woman. And some might say that killing [spoiler]Gladstone and Aldon Wicks[/spoiler]the ways he did were also quite horrific. Certainly by comparison, Maggie gets off relatively unscathed.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:58:23 PM »
I have to admit I don't remember.   But JY did attempt to get a lot of mileage out of his evil voice and leers.     It would have been more effective if he hadn't seemed to be trying so hard.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
I have to admit I don't remember.   But JY did attempt to get a lot of mileage out of his evil voice and leers.     It would have been more effective if he hadn't seemed to be trying so hard.

i agree i found him funny more than scary  8)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV