Author Topic: David Selby in Black Hole on SCI FI Channel  (Read 2109 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
David Selby in Black Hole on SCI FI Channel
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:46:41 AM »
Black Hole, starring Judd Nelson and Kristy Swanson, will premiere on the SCI FI Channel on Saturday, June 10, at 9:00 pm ET with a rebroadcast a few hours later at 1:00 am ET. It will be repeated on Thursday, June 15, at 9:00 pm ET.

David Selby appears in this movie as General Ryker. You can see a photo of him on the set here. The film deals with an experiment gone awry that leads to the formation of a black hole on earth. It was filmed in the St. Louis area in late 2004.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: David Selby in Black Hole on SCI FI Channel
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi Cris thanks so much for the update !! I'll be sure and watch
David YUMMY!!      :P         Love Anne :-*

"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I always enjoy those cheesy B-movies the Sci-Fi Channel turns out - I'll be sure to watch for David.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »
Kristy Swanson was the original Buffy , right?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:27:33 AM »
Kristy Swanson was the original Buffy , right?

Yes she was the one from the movie.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:13:39 AM »
Thank god for the later airing time at 1:00. At 9:00 I'll be watching Sharpe's Company on BBCAmerica.

Sean Bean AND David Selby in one night of TV viewing? Heaven!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 08:31:46 PM »
WARNING to David Selby fans.  He gets lots of on-screen time, and his performance in this movie, as always, is a treat.  But while it's understandable that you would want to move closer to your screen during his scenes, DO NOT remain there once the action shifts elsewhere.  Just as the man-made quantum singularity destroyed downtown St. Louis, the script, special effects, and (most of all) Kristy Swanson's performance suck so bad in this movie that the gravitational field created by this intense sucking may cause anything in the proximity of your TV to shatter like the Gateway Arch.

Better yet-- when he is off camera, better spend that time (re-)reading A Wrinkle In Time or any enjoyable SciFi book.

Poor St. Louis.  :P

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 07:20:24 AM »
Sean Bean AND David Selby in one night of TV viewing? Heaven!

My heavenly viewing this weekend was seeing Selby in the Saturday night movie, then Frank Langella and James Naughton on Sunday's Tony Awards-- 3 of my '70s heartthrobs.  :D

Thank you, MB, for getting the Forums back intact!   [hello]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:37 AM »
Thank you, MB, for getting the Forums back intact!

No thanks to our host.  [angryf]  But getting everything back on track is all that matters...

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
That actually wasn't too bad for a Sci-Fi Channel origianl production.  Believe it or not, most of them are MUCH worse  ;D

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
My heavenly viewing this weekend was seeing Selby in the Saturday night movie, then Frank Langella and James Naughton on Sunday's Tony Awards-- 3 of my '70s heartthrobs.

Wasn't Frank Langella in a movie production of Dracula? I keep meaning to get a copy and watch the whole thing. From what I've seen it looks pretty damn good.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »
My heavenly viewing this weekend was seeing Selby in the Saturday night movie, then Frank Langella and James Naughton on Sunday's Tony Awards-- 3 of my '70s heartthrobs.  :D

Thank you, MB, for getting the Forums back intact!   [hello]

Ditto on the thanks to MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I dont want to THINK about how hard it is to get something like this board whipped back into shape.  Must admit I felt like a jinx -- every time I had gotten over here  for a bit, next thing I knew the board had gone down.  Can we get Magda to put a curse on your server? [tongue2]

As to the movie, haven't seen it all the way through yet (got a phone call halfway through from someone I'd been in eternal phone tag with, so have to have time to watch the tape for the last half).  Seemed to me that it was better than average Sciffi fare -- watchable, with a standard SF -plot with some inspiration from Forbidden Planet and various and sundry disaster movies.

Ah, Frank Langella -- boy does he bring back memories.   [love7]   I remember seeing him in his last performance of Dracula on Broadway (back when tickets to Broadway didn't cost a small fortune, oh those were the days!).  FYI he was even better looking on stage -- or when he came out afterwards from the cast party, shirt half undone...... [91a2]

LOL reminded me of a thought recently, of 70s hunks with their lovely long hair.  Look at pics of Langella, Selby and Harrison Ford then -- and look at the super short cuts they all favor NOW. [dsapb]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 04:58:59 AM »
Seemed to me that it was better than average Sciffi fare -- watchable, with a standard SF -plot with some inspiration from Forbidden Planet and various and sundry disaster movies.

Oh, I agree that it wasn't the worst premise of a SF channel movie, and actually I thought it showed some originality, even though the creature itself seemed like a composite of familiar monsters.  What I was ridiculing was the script, which was predictable (can you say "redshirts"?) and trite.  The scientific explanations showed promise but were abruptly dropped.  I also mentioned the SFX; SciFi has done much, much better.  And as for Kristy Swanson's performance, well, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she studied Rachel Hunter's acting in SF's "Larva."   [cat]

I do look forward to reading your review when it's available, Pansity.  :D

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 01:30:43 AM »
Seemed to me that it was better than average Sciffi fare -- watchable, with a standard SF -plot with some inspiration from Forbidden Planet and various and sundry disaster movies.

Oh, I agree that it wasn't the worst premise of a SF channel movie, and actually I thought it showed some originality, even though the creature itself seemed like a composite of familiar monsters.  What I was ridiculing was the script, which was predictable (can you say "redshirts"?) and trite.  The scientific explanations showed promise but were abruptly dropped.  I also mentioned the SFX; SciFi has done much, much better.  And as for Kristy Swanson's performance, well, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she studied Rachel Hunter's acting in SF's "Larva."   [cat]

I do look forward to reading your review when it's available, Pansity.  :D

I think we're really on the same page with opinions . Its just that I have such a low opinion of so much of what I've seen of their in house productions  - especially the insulting to the point of infuriating Sci Fi Buzz most thankfully of late memory! (I posted somewhere else about the bad experiences of years past and general contempt with which the SciFI Channel types treated fans even when they wanted to woo them) that anything even adequate looks really good to me.  The actors of course do the best they can with what they're given (and how many DS eps can we rationalize with THAT comment <G>), but wouldn't plausible, coherent scripts be NICE?

The creature itself reminded me somewhat of the ID monster from Forbidden Planet, with bits and pieces from various Alfred Hitchcocks and Twilight Zones.

Again I only saw not quite to the middle due to a phone call (and I do feel a bit cheated - I realized that means I only got HALF my birthday present [greed] ). So, I will have to watch the whole thing to have a better idea how they handled the whole thing. Last thing I remember was when the place imploded and of course the geeky guy bought the farm; as you said, typical redshirt.  NO clue yet what happened after that.

Hopefully I can shake this cold and have enough brain cells to do a review after a rewatch.  (Thanks for the kind words on the potential review, btw.  It's been downright embarrassing how long the site has gone without updates. Before the thing I put up in April, I'd not been able to shake REAL LIFE long enough to do anything since SEPTEMBER.   [redface]).

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics