Author Topic: ** Forum Will Be Migrated By Our Host **  (Read 226 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** Forum Will Be Migrated By Our Host **
« on: March 28, 2024, 08:39:16 PM »
I received this notice in my email:

Web Hosting will soon be migrated.
In the upcoming weeks, your services will be migrated. The following services may be affected during migration:
dsboards.com

We do our best to run our updates with no disruption, but we may need to take things offline.

Oh joy - not! And I say that because when they migrated us in September of 2017 they managed to lose parts of the forum's database and without those parts the forum wouldn't run correctly, which is why everyone was getting a fatal error when they tried to visit. Let's hope to hell that nothing like that happens this time around! Also, last time they didn't even provide a heads up before the migration took place. At least this time they have provided a heads up email, plus the email also provided a link to a migration FAQ that promises:

We'll send you an email before your migration begins.

Let's hope they give me enough notice to make sure I've backed up everything beforehand so that if something goes wrong on their end, I'll have a copy of everything so we don't lose anything like how we lost 18 days of posts the last time.  [angry6]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ** Forum Will Be Migrated By Our Host **
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 08:40:36 PM »
Oi vey!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:10:01 PM »
 [easter_rolleyes]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 11:36:32 PM »
Does that mean we won't be on this forum anymore ? [easter_huh]
Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:03 AM »
No. *Hopefully* after our host migrates the forum everything here will still be the same. What will be different, and probably something we won't even notice, is that the forum will be hosted on an updated operating system...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 01:28:27 AM »
Hi MB thank you for answering my question,
Anne 😊
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 05:53:52 AM »
Good luck - hopefully it will all go smoothly this time!  And, at least that you'll be able to have your backup. [easter_smiley]
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:40 PM »
Hey, MB and Midnite, while we're on the subject, can you take us down memory lane for a minute?  What was that original host for our beloved board long, long ago, before the turn-of-the-millenium?  I can still remember what it looked like. 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 06:55:59 PM »
Horray! The migration took place at some point between 4:43 am ET and 7:49 am ET this morning and seems to have been completely successful.  [thumbleft]  [clap]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 07:18:01 PM »
Hey, MB and Midnite, while we're on the subject, can you take us down memory lane for a minute?  What was that original host for our beloved board long, long ago, before the turn-of-the-millenium?  I can still remember what it looked like.

We've always used the same basic software for the forum. Originally it was written in the Perl computer language and that used up a huge amount of memory, which is why during the first year of the forum we kept getting shut down so often. But thankfully the software developers switched to PHP in 2003 and there is nowhere near the memory overhead with it that Perl had.

But so far as hosts, companies that store our software on their servers, goes, we've had many, some a lot better than others. I can't even remember the names of any of our previous hosts, probably because I love our current host so much. For the most part (apart from that 2017 incident) we hit the jackpot when we moved the forum to their services.

As for the various looks the forum has had through the years, those were all of my design, also some better than others. But it was a big learning curve when the forum first started because I was learning things by the seat of my pants, mostly because I had to learn the Perl language because I'd never worked with it before (though thankfully it's similar to languages I had used). I'd created other Web sites previous to the forum, but nothing as complicated as the forum is. And interestingly enough the forum's look will be evolving again before too long because the software developers have released a perfected 2.1 version of their software but I just haven't gotten the time to upgrade the forum to it. Once I do, we'll have a new look. Though how different a look will depend on how differently the upgraded software works...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 08:25:04 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!  Glad for all of us that it worked!!!!!  [easter_smiley]
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 06:26:27 PM »

Vantagenet  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 06:42:56 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Oh, is that what you were talking about, Gerard!  [6184]  With the migration I was strictly thinking of the services that hosted our software in the past. But, duh, how quickly I forget Vantagenet.  [easter_embarassed]

And speaking of Vantagenet, in 2022 I shared some of the posts that were made to that version of the forum soon after the NoDS' 30th Anniversary showing at the Vista Theatre. They begin with this post:
DARK SHADOWS: General Discussion Forum - 10/27/01 2:00:43 AM

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 12:49:11 AM »
Yes!  Yes!  That was it!  I was still living in Anchorage when I found it and swiftly signed up!  What some memories!  I still remember what it looked like.  The time - where does it go?

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 02:00:16 AM »
I still remember what it looked like.

The above link will really get your memory going because I recreated the Vantagenet forum for the posts I shared.

The time - where does it go?

We would have probably used their services a lot longer than we did had they not gone out of business. But that prompted us to go out on our own and create a whole new forum from scratch. So sometimes bad luck turns into good luck in the end...