Author Topic: OT - If You Were Hoping To See A Vampire On Broadway.....  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
OT - If You Were Hoping To See A Vampire On Broadway.....
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
....don't get your hopes up too high.  By the time the 06 Fest comes around, the newest Vampire Musical probably won't be there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060427/en_industry_eo/18898
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: OT - If You Were Hoping To See A Vampire On Broadway.....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:49:44 PM »
....don't get your hopes up too high.  By the time the 06 Fest comes around, the newest Vampire Musical probably won't be there.

I saw this in previews in NYC last month and it is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!  Don't waste your hard earned money!  It was a piece of crap, for real!  The music is just so-so and the story was BORING (one of the critics in the attached URL said Lestat was a "musical sleeping pill" and he's right, I fell asleep!  Go see Wicked, or Hairspray, or ANYTHING but this dreck dear cousins!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »
I was even more disappointed that "Dance of the Vampyres" closed so quickly, more than anything else as a chance to see Michael Crawford, as well as that I always liked the Polanski film. I had hopes it would be running when the DS convention was on. I suppose it may be "Phantom of the Opera" for us in August as Diane has not seen that one on the stage.

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 07:42:28 PM »
Is it possible to get tickets to "Spamalot"  during the Fest?  Because THAT is worth every penny of the ticket price and THEN some!!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »
Is it possible to get tickets to "Spamalot"  during the Fest?  Because THAT is worth every penny of the ticket price and THEN some!!! [lghy]

Last I heard it was sold out for months in advance.  Call the Shubert Theater in NYC and see.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:52:40 AM »
This makes me feel rather relieved that the suggestion of a DS musical, bandied about several years ago, apparently came to naught. On the outer stretches of MAYBE, it might have worked out, but the track record for this genre of entertainment, vis-a-vis vampires, has not been promising.  Some things are best left in non-musical form, though either drama or black comedy would work for me.

I once saw Frank Langella on Broadway in "Dracula", egads, it's almost 30 years ago, and THAT was a grand experience.  (However, I didn't much like the film.)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »

you'd have to pay out the nose but also check craigs list nyc. . tickets for folks who last minute can't make shows appear there
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 03:30:14 PM »
Also .. try some other stuff. . off-bway is good for cheaper tickets and memorable experiences, see http://www.timeout.com/newyork/ViewSection.do?sectionId=theater for suggested shows . . .i highly recommend seeing something else besides retread pop songs or music videos on stage. . try Doubt or The Light in the Piazza Sweeney Todd or Avenue Q.  .

You can get discounted tickets online rather than waiting at the TKTS line from theatremania.com or .http://www.entertainment-link.com/broadway/discounts/shows.asp
Julia99

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »
Also .. try some other stuff. . off-bway is good for cheaper tickets and memorable experiences, see ...
 for suggested shows . . .i highly recommend seeing something else besides retread pop songs or music videos on stage. . try Doubt or The Light in the Piazza Sweeney Todd or Avenue Q.  .

You can get discounted tickets online rather than waiting at the TKTS line from theatremania.com or ...

I can highly recommend two off-Broadway shows, if they are still around in August that is.  If they are, go see either A Jew Grows in Brooklyn or I Love You Because.  Both are fantastic.  And off-Broadway is way cheaper than Broadway so you could see both for the price of ONE Broadway show.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"