Author Topic: Problem Accessing Forum  (Read 113 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Problem Accessing Forum
« on: November 20, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
I used my usual link in Firefox and all that came up was a white screen with the message: 
"we could not verify the certificate: reason = untrusted"

I copied the address into Chrome and then Edge and the same thing happened.  I tried again a little later and Chrome and Edge work, but I still get that for Firefox, which is what I always use.  (I noticed, though, that at the top it says "Not secure."  Not sure if that was always there - never noticed it.

However, that problem of not getting the pictures has happened again.  All of the shots from the movie and any emojis don't show up.  I forget what the solution was the last time, so I've been putting up with it.  However, the pictures are there in Chrome.  So, maybe there's a problem of the Forum working with Firefox.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Accessing Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 03:12:42 PM »
I noticed, though, that at the top it says "Not secure."  Not sure if that was always there - never noticed it.

Yes, that's been there for ages. It's because I have never sprung for an SSL certificate. We don't do credit card transactions or any sort of financial transactions for that matter, so up to this point I've never seen the need.

I used my usual link in Firefox and all that came up was a white screen with the message:
"we could not verify the certificate: reason = untrusted"

I don't use Firefox, I use Chrome and have never had a problem. Perhaps Firefox is now written in such a way as it expects an SSL certificate and flips out when it doesn't find one. I don't know...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 01:21:00 AM »
I just tried it on Firefox (I rarely, if ever use it - I have it as an emergency backup) and it opened just fine.  Everything loaded.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »
Today it didn't work in any of the 3.  I finally Googled it and used the link there.  It took me to an old error message from the forum, but the correct link was provided in that message and that worked.

It's so nice to have the pictures back!  There was something a few weeks ago that I particularly wanted to see.  Hopefully I'll remember which one it was so I can go back and look at them!!!!
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 01:27:42 AM »
Did you try opening it on another device, Josette?  It sounds like the problem just might be your computer.  Sometimes those rascally things just don't want to work.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 08:39:08 AM »
I could try the phone just to see.  Wouldn't want to use it that way.  However, it's been nice having the pictures back!

I tried posting here and kept getting the less than 2 minutes error, even after it was more than 2 minutes, so I tried starting over and even the link from the Google search on Chrome got the error message and wouldn't let me in!!  I just tried Edge and it worked here.  It's all VERY weird!!!!!!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
Very, very weird!!