Author Topic: The most haunted spot in every state  (Read 156 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The most haunted spot in every state
« on: October 20, 2023, 08:54:30 PM »
The most haunted spot in every state

As far as RI goes, I've always heard that Belcourt Castle is supposedly more haunted than The Breakers Mansion (both are located in Newport). But I suppose like most lists, this one is also subjective...

Online patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: The most haunted spot in every state
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 10:15:33 PM »
I wonder if in the Iolani Palace they hear the ghost of Jack Lord saying "Book em Dano".

Have been to the jail in St Augustine ...it is pretty creepy.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 12:14:50 AM »
I wonder if there was a spot in Collinsport, Maine which was NOT haunted?  [Hallo_Costume] [ReallyScary]

I noticed that the writers of this article selected the Pine Barrens, also known as “The Pineys,” a vast area of marshland not far from Atlantic City, as the scariest area in New Jersey. This area was also the alleged birthplace of the Garden State’s most famous monster, The Jersey Devil, a chimerical creature with the head of horse, wings, talons and a tail. This mythical creature has supposedly been spotted over the years throughout southern New Jersey. Apparently, The Jersey Devil has displayed enough common sense NOT to fly near either Satriale’s Meat Market in Kearney, NJ or the Bada-Bing Men’s Club in beautiful Lodi, NJ on Route  17 South, knowing that Mr. Anthony Soprano of North Caldwell, NJ would NOT be pleased at all with The Jersey Devil’s presence in either of those two northern New Jersey
communities.

If DS had remained on the air after 1971, I wonder if Dan Curtis might have “borrowed” the Jersey Devil concept on the show, possibly renamed as “The Collinsport Chupacabra”?  [hall2_huh] [hall2_rolleyes] [ReallyScary]

Oh yeah, both Christopher Moltisanti and the irrepressible Paulie Walnuts once spent an extremely terrifying and absolutely frigid night in The Pineys in, arguably, the greatest Sopranos’ episode of all time, “Pine Barrens.”  [Winking_Monster] [FangedDevil] [8_1_1]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 01:25:29 AM »
Any times there's a book, article, website, whatever with these most-haunted lists and Wisconsin is mentioned, it's always the Pfister Hotel, the Pfister Hotel, the Pfister Hotel.  There are a myriad of other places in Cheeseland that are far more reportedly "haunted," even just a hop, skip and a boo away from where I live and some of them I've investigated in my "ghost hunting."  With one exception, I and my fellow spook-lookers never experienced a thing.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 04:58:12 PM »
I would love to hear about that one exception.

As I've said before, I've experienced too many things to doubt the existence of the supernatural. None of them have been anything like seeing an actual ghost, they've been much more subtle. I've posted about one such experience when I was alone at Seaview in 1999 that I didn't realize the true significance of until 2011, and after that I've felt that if I never step foot inside Seaview again, it'll be more than fine with me. And one of the more unique experiences that I don't think I've ever gone into was the time I was working in my home office on my PC and out of nowhere I began to smell an odor that was quite familiar to me because it seemed as if a professor/mentor at college never had his suits dry cleaned and they always had a scent of old sweat - not overpowering - but enough to notice. At the time of the experience I hadn't thought about him in years, and even though he was instrumental in getting me my first computer programming teaching job and I considered him a friend even though we'd lost touch, I thought it was quite odd to say the least that out of nowhere his distinct scent of uncleaned suit should strike me and linger for more than a minute or two. Well, a couple hours or so after that experience a mutual friend of the professor's and mine who had remained close to him phoned to inform me that he had passed away that day. I was like cue the Twilight Zone music...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 02:13:19 AM »
Here's that one exception, MB.  Let me preface it by restating that I'm a total, complete 100% skeptic but with a total, complete 100% open mind and I will admit that I have no explanation for things I experienced and will say so, even though - to me - there is a logical, non-supernatural reason that just hasn't been found yet (call me stubborn).  When I do ghost-hunting, the ghost-hunters I ghost-hunt with like that because most do believe in ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy-beasties and things that go bump in the night and they know it's good to have someone who is 1) fully skeptical to challenge them and find logical answers, and 2) is not the least bit afraid of the rappings, moanings, footsteps, slammings, etc. and instead of running from it will run right to it.

Also, still in the preface, I have experienced many things that would cause one to flee down the old, slanted staircase and out the rickety, creaking door, but those were not a part of ghost-hunting - they were a part of places I just happened to stay or be in, like the supposedly haunted house of friends I lived in when they were on vacation, a haunted museum and a haunted Y I worked in.  What I'm about describe is the occurrences during a ghost-hunting, not just from the fortune of being in a haunted locale.  If one would like to hear about those incidents, maybe I could relate them in an appropriate Halloweenish thread.

Like I said, I have done several ghost-hauntings including in spots found in the many literary collections about famous haunts, from abandoned hotels to old cemetaries and nothing happened.  This particular ghost-hunting experience - planned to be such, with all the investigating methods - was in the house of a friend-of-a-friend where other-worldly things reportedly happened.  Four of us participated, with an overnight stay.  After a wonderful evening dinner in a local, popular eatery, we returned to the house - we even had a couple dogs in tow since they're supposedly "sensitive" - for a post-supper cocktail hour.  The one witness to the events filled us in on activities and where in the old house they occurred.  Knowing my beans about investigations, we headed to those places.  One was at the bottom of the basement staircase where a powerful "presence" or "force" would be felt.  Looking around, I found it:  up above was a metal airduct covered by scores of electrical wiring.  Ghost number one set to rest.  There were others accounted for putting them to rest as well.  We conducted a seance of sorts, all four in the most haunted bedroom, a single candle lit, lights off, and just sitting around (I sat on the floor) and questions and requests were made to anyone - or anything - that was there.  Nothing happened until the owner of the house said he strongly felt - he knew - something was in the long, walk-in closet.  Without hesitation, I walked straight into the dark chamber and found...nothing.

It was time to go to bed.  We paired off.  As an "experienced ghost-hunter," I knew it was imperative to never be alone - first, any experience has to be corroborated by two witnesses and, second, being alone, even as a skeptic, allows for the "frights" and an overactive imagination.  I and a friend shared one room; the two other friends another (the dogs were with them).  We fell asleep.

I woke up, tossed a bit, settled back down and then I heard it:  a closed fist knocking on the wood trim around a door frame to "most haunted" bedroom next to us.  I laid there, listening, and then I whispered to my friend next to me:  "Are you awake?"

He took a deep breath and answered:  "Yes."

"Do you hear that? I inquired.

"Yes."

"What do you hear?"  Ghost-busting again:  ask what he hears instead of putting the thought of the it in his head - "what do you hear," not "do you hear that knocking?."

"A rapping.  Somebody's knocking outside our room."

We remained still and it continued and then I whispered:  "Let's very quietly get up and go to the door.  Don't look out until I say so."  We did, not making a sound getting out of the bed, sliding across the floor until we got to the open door and pressed ourselves along the wall, the hard, knuckle-knocking continuing.

"When I count to three," I silently told him, "we look."

I counted up and at three we both simultaneously thrust our heads out into the hallway and looked in the direction of the sound.  The very second we did, it stopped.  We then went down to the open door of the empty bedroom, went inside and looked around, including the long, walk-in closet.  Nothing.  We crept down the corridor to the room where our friends were sleeping and looked in.  Both were there, sound asleep, as well as the dogs.

The next morning, we told them what happened - they heard nothing.  Then they asked me, the skeptic, for my explanation.  I did have one.  Close to where the knocking echoed there was a laundry chute door.  The owner stated that sometimes the water-heater by where it emptied in the basement made clanking sounds.  We tried to imitate them to see if they would echo against the wood door frame two floor above, but we couldn't.

So, I really have no explanation.  What was it?  A ghost?  Skeptics like me leave that answer for those who aren't.

Gerard