Author Topic: Open the Door, Frasier. Open the Door!  (Read 105 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Open the Door, Frasier. Open the Door!
« on: October 05, 2023, 10:02:04 AM »
Hey gang,

So, I’m watching an episode of the great comedy series, “Frasier,” on COZI-TV the other night, and we see the unfailingly urbane Dr. Frasier Crane enjoying dinner at a Seattle restaurant with his attractive date, when the owner of the upscale Italian restaurant informs his customers that it’s the 50th anniversary of his wedding day, resulting in enthusiastic applause from the diners. Now, I’m looking at this older man with the gray hair and beard and he looks very familiar to me. And, suddenly, it hits me, it’s the flamboyant, sartorially-splendid and eternally ESL-challenged King Johnny Romano!

Yes, it was DS actor Paul Michael, who was killed off far too soon as King Johnny Romano, leader of the Romani tribe. Mr. Michael appeared in an especially memorable episode of DS during the 1897 storyline, when he (as King Johnny) and Istvan, the mute and muscular gypsy, were about to enter the secret room of the Collins Family Mausoleum to put Magda Racosi on trial for stealing the fabled Hand of Count Petofi. Well, just as King Johnny says to Magda, “Open the door, Magda. Open the door,” a studio light literally explodes rather loudly, and we see Paul Michael, Grayson Hall and Henry Baker noticeably flinch as the d@mned light goes kaboom! I always found that to be very funny and one of DS’s great unscripted moments!

Paul Michael, much like fellow DS actor Dennis Patrick, appeared in many television shows, like “Kojak,” Hill Street Blues” “Seinfeld” and “Dragnet” to name a few. Mr. Michael also appeared mfrequently on stage in plays like “Zorba the Greek” and as Tevye in “Fiddler in the Roof.” Mr. Michael was married to actress Marion Ross, who portrayed the beloved Mrs. Marion Cunningham on “Happy Days” for many years and also appeared on stage in “Arsenic and Old Lace” with Jonathan Frid.

Even though Mr. Michael appeared in only a few episodes of DS as the “slightly” over-the-top King Johnny, and much like fellow DS actor Michael Hadge in his portrayal of the immortal hippie/motorcyclist Buzz Hackett, I believe that DS fans will never forget the larger-than-life King Johnny Romano!  [Hallo_Costume] [Winking_Monster]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Open the Door, Frasier. Open the Door!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 07:05:44 PM »
Bob, that’s really cool thanks for the heads up wow !! It’s amazing that we see our Ds
Actors on the old tv shows .
Anne  [hall2_grin]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:55:52 PM »
The play, The Last Romance, is based on the relationship between Marion Ross and Paul Michael. This is the play that Marie Wallace was appearing in about 10 years ago in nearby Waterbury, Connecticut. I was there on opening night when Marie had an unfortunate accident and fell off the stage.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 02:03:27 AM »
Thanks, Anne,

While the late Mr. Michael appeared on many tv shows, I still think that the late Dennis Patrick is the DS alumnus with the most tv guest appearances. Mr. Patrick was a native of Rhode Island. It’s too bad that he never got to play a contemporary character on DS. Hailing from Rhode Island, he would have fit right in with Thayer David and Frank Schofield for performing with an authentic New England accent.

Uncle Roger,

That’s awful that Ms. Wallace suffered an injury during that performance in Connecticut. Didn’t she also get injured while appearing in a play in Georgia (I think) with Jonathan Frid? I spoke briefly with Ms. Wallace at one of the NYC Festivals. Ms. Wallace was extremely friendly and gracious. Everyone I know who has met her has said what a wonderful lady she is.