Author Topic: New David Selby Interview  (Read 162 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
New David Selby Interview
« on: June 15, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
I haven't seen the issue as yet but the current issue of Shock Magazine, #63, has an interview with David Selby. Shock's interviews usually cover an actor's career, so DS will undoubtedly be mentioned. My Barnes and Noble carries it, so I will be driving over there soon.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: New David Selby Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:00:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Uncle Roger.  [easter_smiley]

And speaking of Barnes & Noble, in this day and age of book stores closing, I was surprised that B&N is actually opening a new store in my area. Quite a welcome occurrence...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 07:51:09 PM »
Oh cool uncle roger thank you for sharing this .😁😁😊😊😊
Love, Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 03:09:28 PM »
I picked up the magazine over the weekend. The Selby interview runs about seven pages and is illustrated with lots of pictures from his career. It covers a lot of territory, from his early days in theater to the current Todd Tarantula. Dark Shadows gets a good amount of attention and he seems to have fond memories of his time on the show. He discusses his website and the forum's own mscriseyde gets a mention.
Dark Shadows gets a good amount of attention. But Night of Dark Shadows is only mentioned in passing. As is Barbra Streisand, though he did enjoy working with her. Flamingo Road is not mentioned but Falcon Crest gets a good amount of attention.
Pleasant interview but if you're looking for dish, you'll have to read the other interviews in the magazine.
Former child star Ike Eisenmann who worked with DC on The Kansas City Massacre described him as "commanding and general like". And that there were several actors, including John Karlen, who could get kind of crazy on location with bars close by.
There's also an interview with director Jerrold Freedman, who elaborates on the story about Roy Thinnes and Alfred Hitchcock. Roy was cast in Hitchcock's final film Family Plot. He filmed several scenes, only to be replaced when Hitchcock's original choice, William Devane, became available. Roy confronted the director about his firing in a public restaurant and Hitchcock wouldn't answer him. Mrs. Hitchcock tried to smooth things over by saying that her husband only fired him because he liked him too much. Be that as it may, it still hurt Roy's career.
Freedman also talks about working for MGM on the Raquel Welch vehicle Kansas City Bomber. It was a fairly low budget film, though probably a bit more high profile than Night of Dark Shadows which had been made about a year earlier. But he did have a run in with the notorious MGM president James Aubrey. "Just bring it in on budget and we'll be fine. If you don't. .  I'll cut your ba**s off."
And that's why they called Aubrey The Smiling Cobra.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
Thanks so much, Uncle Roger, for the bits from the different articles.  [easter_smiley]  Who knew there would be so much DS-related stuff?

Former child star Ike Eisenmann who worked with DC on The Kansas City Massacre described him as "commanding and general like". And that there were several actors, including John Karlen, who could get kind of crazy on location with bars close by.

Freedman also talks about working for MGM on the Raquel Welch vehicle Kansas City Bomber. It was a fairly low budget film, though probably a bit more high profile than Night of Dark Shadows which had been made about a year earlier. But he did have a run in with the notorious MGM president James Aubrey. "Just bring it in on budget and we'll be fine. If you don't. .  I'll cut your ba**s off."

And gee, who might have guessed any of that?  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

And that's why they called Aubrey The Smiling Cobra.

Though at least in the end his Karma caught up with him. But then, as they say, Karma's a bitch...