Author Topic: OT<HTML Course/Question  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<HTML Course/Question
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:32:31 AM »
Alright, so the local HS is having a 3x course on "Intro to HTML". Sure, why not. I'm wondering what exactly I'm likely to learn. BIIIG disclaimer: I live surrounded by 5 large retirement communities, so frequently when you go to one of these, it tends to be, "How do I turn on my computer" (I kid you not).

Now, I can't imagine MB knowing what a HS night course is (perhaps a non-accredited college night class??) nor Midnite, but, they do know HTML (right?). Plus, I know I have other knowledgeable cousins who could perhaps tell me what to be listening for (yeah, you Bobubas & Connie & Mark Rainey) :D

(Okay, what again is HTML? I mean, I sort of know it's a 'computer language', but is it becoming 'passe'?)

Thanks alot,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: OT<HTML Course/Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:33:09 AM »
If you have ever used the Word Star program (ages ago I know), you used to have to use funny characters to say make bold or italic or indent paragraphs or make paragraphs.  HTML in its simplist terms tells the web browser how to render your text and images on the screen you see in ways similar to Word Star.

HTML stands for Hyper Terminal Mark-Up Language.  There are codes that "mark-up" your text and images.  So, say for example I want to write a paragraph and bold the first word.

Thus, it would be
Code: [Select]
<p><b>Patti,</b> I think it's really cool you want to take an HTML class.</p>
The <p> is for paragraph and the <b> is for bold.  Remember in HTML you have to close your codes just like we do on this forum with the BB code.

WebMonkey is a great tutorial site.  Use word pad, get a free site and start practicing away.  You can make a really basic site without a lot of knowledge.  Give it try and show us your results.  I'd love to see!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:41:25 AM »
HTML stands for Hyper Terminal Mark-Up Language.

Actually, Hypertext Markup Language.  HyperTerminal is a program that comes with Windows.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
Plus, I know I have other knowledgeable cousins who could perhaps tell me what to be listening for (yeah, you Bobubas
[jawdrp]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:49:29 AM »
ROFL, MsC

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49:36 AM »
Plus, I know I have other knowledgeable cousins who could perhaps tell me what to be listening for (yeah, you Bobubas & Connie & Mark Rainey) :D

(Okay, what again is HTML? I mean, I sort of know it's a 'computer language', but is it becoming 'passe'?)

Huh??  LOL
I don't know HTML.  Wish I did - it's definitely on my Top 5 list of things I want to learn.  (How come I always seem to get credited with knowing stuff I don't know shit about?)  [nut]

Anyway Patti, in case you didn't understand victoriawinter's explanation (what the hell is Wordstar?), HTML is the language used to make web pages.  I had a really good book from the library a few weeks ago and it wasn't too difficult to understand.

If the course is free and you have the time, why not check it out.

Thanks vw, for the link.  Looks interesting.

;)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:56:30 AM »
Victoriawinters...you ROCK!! Who knew....what a peal ;) (I actually wondered if there was a practice place, but wasn't sure how to ask...thanks again so much.)

Patti....Connie....you know everything. 8)
What a Woman!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:11 AM »
You can also find tutorials online, overviews of the different tags and the like. Also, bookstores have plenty of books to help you along if the class isn't enough. Nowadays, it seems like you need to have a bit of CSS knowledge to make a decent webpage. :(

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 06:29:17 AM »
Basics first then CSS.

Actually, Hypertext Markup Language.  HyperTerminal is a program that comes with Windows.

This moment brought to you by selective memory syndrome and the drug Neurontin.  Yea for drugs. [spin]

WordStar is a really old, old word processing program from the mid-80s that didn't show your document as WYSYIG.  It was quickly replaced by WordPerfect 4.2 which showed your document on the screen WYSIWYG.

(WYSIWYG = What you See is What you Get).

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:45:27 PM »
Whoosh....I went to the first class last night ::) whoosh

I felt very anxious (read, "I'm a dummy, I can't learn this, I should just quit"). But after the teacher (was with AT&T for 25+ years, was downsized) mentioned about coding (see above) < >, since I've had such wonderful, patient & great cousins (yeah, YOU Midnite, and Connie, and Raineypark, and  :-* dom :-* , and MB, and many others, I had some confidence.

I did not know this....and perhaps I'm misunderstanding or misinformed; it seems as if you have to pay for web hosting and ?monthly maintenance?? Um...no way Jose...

BTW....is MB and/or Midnite paying for here...let us know, and we'll send money ;D

The teacher also went into how it wise to have a separate host from your home IP (eg, Verizon & Comcast each have 'free' web space to their subscribers). He told how if say Bob the Bartender was viewing my site (if it was on MY IP), he could also get into my personal info which is on my PC (I hope I phrased that somewhat coherently....) Now, I went to register.com and the domain.it that VW's mentioned (thanks again!). The teacher said to KISS (keep it simple) for your web address, so I put in my family name. Of course, it's taken, and a few variations are too.

So, in addition to feeling archaic and stupid and having little time/money, I feel like why bother?? Waaa....I want my mommy!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »
FC Pages, [ur=http://members.freewebs.com/faqs.jspl]Free Webs[/url], and a whole host of others offer free web pages in exchange for advertising on your site.  Many have the advertising is less obnoxious ways then others.  Some of them will allow you to obtain your own domain name for the free site.  GoDaddy.com sells that for $9.95 per year.

For your site to look it's absolute best with no advertising, pop up or otherwise, then yes sure buy the space.  Or, see if your existing web service provider has some for you to use.  Mine does.  However, it doesn't provide much.

I do hope you will stick with your class Patti.  Give it some time and try not to read too much into it.  None of us with web pages had it all together when we started either.  We go to school to learn not to already have it all together when we get there.  Practice is everything.  So, go get that free space and show it to us.  I'm here for you!