Author Topic: "Company" and Donna McKechnie  (Read 126 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Company" and Donna McKechnie
« on: May 30, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »
The other night PBS had a Great Performances program about a new production of “Company.”  Part of it was it being closed down by the pandemic and the eventual return, and part of it was that they switched the genders and the main character was a woman instead of a man.  They had Stephen Sondheim, the director, actors and others involved in the production discussing it along with actors from previous versions, including the original.  Donna McKechnie from the original was on and they also showed pictures from her dancing in the original.

In case anyone is interested, I imagine PBS has it On Demand or in some other form.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: "Company" and Donna McKechnie
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »
Thanks, Josette.  [easter_smiley]

I DVR'd this on Friday but didn't watch it until last night. It was definitely nice to see DM in original material as well as a current interview. And for those who may not remember, the reason she left DS was to do Company back in 1970.

When I get the chance, I plan to share something from her appearance on the show...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "Company" and Donna McKechnie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 07:00:55 AM »
How interesting!  I may have seen it as some point, but didn't realize that was the reason for her leaving DS.  Before posting yesterday, I looked her up in imdb and when a name is listed, there is usually a name of something the person is particularly known for, and in her case DS is what's listed!!!
Josette