Author Topic: A Real "Barnabas"  (Read 235 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A Real "Barnabas"
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »
I was looking through the list of Olympic competitors in the Men's Alpine Skiing Combined (downhill + slalom) and I noticed one from Israel, which seemed unusual, so I looked closer, and his name is Barnabas Szollos!!  Someone actually named Barnabas (nickname Barni)! 

I looked him up and he's originally from Hungary and the family moved to Austria for better training.  I haven't figured out how they have a connection to represent Israel.  The father, a brother and sister are or were all alpine skiers.  The sister is also at this Olympics for Israel.

Unfortunately, they didn't show him on the broadcast!!!
Josette

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: A Real "Barnabas"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 03:47:51 PM »
Josette,

I can’t think of anyone with the given name of Barnabas. Although, I’ve heard of boys given such distinctive names as “Zander,” “Ashton,” “Colton” and “Jasper.” (Didn’t those boys’ parents ever hear the late, great Johnny Cash’s song, “A Boy Named Sue”?)

I think there is one story that either Dan Curtis or DS producer Robert Costello noticed an old tombstone in NYC with the name of Barnabas, hence the name for our own beloved Barnabas Collins.

When I used to take the E-train up from the World Trade Center to Lexington and 53rd Street, I remember there was a station on the upper East side, where you could transfer to a train taking you to St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx. I always wondered if that hospital was the inspiration for Barnabas’ unique moniker?

Bob

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
Bob! No reference to St. Barnabas Hospital in Lakewood?! Every time I pass it I yell out "BARNABAS!!" in my Julia Hoffman voice. ROFL...

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »
Dom,

Oh yeah, St. Barnabas Hospital on Route 9 in Lakewood, NJ; how could I have forgotten that renowned medical establishment!?! It’s always an “adventure” driving in Lakewood. I don’t think Roger, Carolyn or even Barnabas “Parnelli Jones” Collins would have liked to have driven around that town. Many drivers in Lakewood drive like they’re cruising along on the Autobahn in Germany, hence the popular bumper sticker:”Pray for me. I drive in Lakewood.”  [snow_cheesy]

Bob

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »
I remember taking a wrong turn coming back from the White Plains airport for a DS gathering and coming across a St. Barnabas Church.  Pretty cool mistake.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 01:18:28 AM »
Patrickm,

I’ve often thought that if we ever got to see a Catholic Church in Collinsport, it would have been named Our Lady of Lost Souls or, possibly, Our Lady of Condemned/Excommunicated Souls.  [snow_smileydevil] [snow_ghost]

Bob

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 07:29:30 AM »
We have a St. Barnabas Health System in one of our suburbs.  It's a really large system with retirement living, nursing home and I guess everything in-between.  They frequently have 1/2 hour infomercials advertising themselves.  They also have a big talent show every year and Jackie Evancho either won or finished 2nd, I think the year before she was on America's Got Talent.

Presumably there was a St. Barnabas that all of these are named for, but I've never really researched who he was.

By the way, Barnabas' sister, Noa Szollos, was in today's race - finished 34th out of 44.  She came very late in the race after NBC had signed off, unfortunately.
Josette

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 09:12:04 PM »
That’s interesting.
Expect when I’m reading the Bible I don’t usually hear Barnabas’s name aside from Dark Shadows related.

I do see Loomis trucks though.  That always makes me think of DS
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 08:11:48 AM »
I finally had a chance to watch Barnabas!!  He's also in the giant slalom, and being way down the list didn't make the program for the 1st run.  But, the 2nd run was delayed and is live on USA at 2 a.m., and since they reverse the order of the top 30, he was 3rd to go - so I finally watched him!  They mentioned some of the bio bits I originally listed.  While he's way down the list so won't have a chance for a top finish, he had a nice run and at least finished it!!!
Josette