Author Topic: 1969 and 1970: the "Best" Years of DS?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: 1969 and 1970: the "Best" Years of DS?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 12:13:56 AM »
Barnabas' arrival is probably my favorite part of the series.  It was perfect IMO.

However, I am very fond 1970-1971 too.  1995 was awesome, the 1970 haunting had some really cool episodes and concepts going for it (the playroom, Roxanne the vampire, and that creepy freaky Gerard), and 1840 was great, despite sometimes throwing continuity out the window.  1841 PT had some very solid episodes, but overall was probably my least favorite part of the series as it *completely* broke from the established characters.  I did love that crazy lottery and the room of doom though, and it was fun seeing Frid and Parker in new roles.  The Wuthering Heights adaptation was neat too, so I do have some fondness for it.  I just wish it had some connection to the main storyline though.  It often felt more like watching a DS spinoff than like watching DS itself! 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 01:55:57 AM »
What story lines were "the best" of "Dark Shadows" will always be a matter of personal preference.

But which story line  was most important is not open to debate: the arrival of Barnabas is the reason the show lasted, and the reason it is remembered today....case closed.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 02:11:25 AM »
For me the pivotal moment is Julia broaching the subject of treating Barnabas medically for vampirism.   That put the imaginative twist into the story that got my attention and got my imagination stimulated, as a kid.

I think 1995 1970 and 1971 have awkward writing.   It got childish and simplistic sometimes.   Still, it would all have been fascinating if you'd never seen DS before.     Anyone who hadn't seen 1795 or 1897 would have loved 1840.     They got desperate and pulled out all the same old tricks to keep going, tweaking 1897 to get 1840, and it worked.    That's what DC did, I guess, doing continuous CPR on the show to keep it alive.   Barnabas's appearance came from that. 

1840 was the right move.   They were out of inspiration so they went back to historical atmosphere and a faster story, with all the elements that made the other past eras work.     Things pick up an awful lot once 1840 starts.    It was self-plagiaristic, but that's better than cancellation in 1970.    It works if you manage to put out of your mind the fact that it's all taken from 1897.

If the Petofi period was within that "extension" of 1897 people are talking about, then I'm glad as hell it got extended.   Every word I say here in praise of 1897 is based on the Petofi period, since my tapes begin toward the conclusion of Laura in 1897.    
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »
I just wish it had some connection to the main storyline though.

I agree it would have been interesting to see Barnabas show up and interact w/his PT son.  ;) 

It often felt more like watching a DS spinoff than like watching DS itself! 

Interesting observation!  I never thought about 1841 PT in terms of a "spin-off" but you're right, it WAS kinda like that.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
i'm so with barnabas' bride here.

for me 1967 is the year.

it started with laura collins(which technically began in 66)and ended with 1795(which technically ended in 68)and if that was the only part of the show i saw i'd find that satisfying.

i was mesmerised by the 1967 episodes.i watched as if under a spell.after the storyline returned to the present from 1795 the spell was broken and the show became wildly uneven for me.i enjoyed some storylines and disliked others but i never loved the show again in quite the same way

I must agree, as much as I enjoyed 1897 and others, the love affair was cemented for me with 1967/1795, when the mood and character of the show was established for me.  As a kid, I saw things through David's eyes and this really attracted me to the show.  He was a character I could obviously identify with, and his adventures and misadventures could, possibly, have happened to me.  It was easier to suspend disbelief in those early Barnabas days, as well.  Loved it, while I really liked much of the rest.

Petofi