Author Topic: 10 Of The Most Terrifying 60s Movies That Gave Boomers The Creeps  (Read 79 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Of The Most Terrifying 60s Movies That Gave Boomers The Creeps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 01:16:40 AM »
For me, it was Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964), one scene in particular.  After Charlotte (Bette Davis) accidentally kills her doctor (Joseph Cotton), her cousin Miriam (Olivia de Havilland) helps her dump the body into a swamp.  Returning back to the spooky southern bayou mansion, Miriam goes to park the car while the traumatized Charlotte goes inside and begins crawling up the grand staircase on her hands and knees when she notices wet footprints on the steps.  Looking up, she sees the mud and swampweed covered putrescent corpse of Dr. Bayliss standing over her, a ghoulish grin on his pallid face as he extends his hand down to her.  And, of course, the soundtrack music added the perfect touch.  My blood ran cold.

There were many other '60's films that chilled the body temperature right out of me (Curse of the Living Corpse was one), but that one I particularly remember.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Of The Most Terrifying 60s Movies That Gave Boomers The Creeps
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 05:43:09 AM »
I don't think I've heard of about half of those.

For me, it didn't have to be a horror film to scare me (in fact, those were usually fine!).  I remember when I was little, certainly pre-teen, but I don't know how much younger, I saw a movie about the Mormons journey to Utah (it was probably "Brigham Young") and there was the scene of the swarm of crickets, and that terrified me.  For a long time after that I was afraid to go down the hall to the bathroom alone at night.  Maybe I expected them to be there, not sure, but I think that was the most afraid I ever was from a movie.
Josette