Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 106887 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1410 on: December 07, 2023, 02:38:14 PM »
And definitely yet another post worth revisiting:

And before we move on beyond Scene 87, here's a still not used for the slideshow. It was shared by the 2012 Fest Program and it's also a second solo still of Quentin for Scene 87:

(Click here for a 693X700 version)

One would presume solo stills of Alex, Claire and Tracy from Scene 87 might also exist - however, if they do exist, it seems as if those solo stills have yet to surface...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 07, 2023, 09:14:00 PM »
The first post worth revisiting regarding Scene 88:

And when it comes to today's quote:
And speaking of observations, does it strike anyone else as odd that Alex claims that he and Claire "are broke"?

Page 38/Scene 88 - Alex (gesturing to Claire): 'Will you look at that dress?
Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk --
honey, remember, we're broke.'

I still wish there was an actual explanation in the film because:
Apparently they've written at least a few successful novels, one of which we learn at the end of the film is being made into a "major motion picture."

Plus, the blurb at the end of the film describes them as a "popular husband and wife novelist team."

Either they must have a terrible agent who negotiates terrible contracts for them or they must spend money like water. Or both. Who knows?  [santa_undecided]  But if they are broke, no wonder they need to live rent free.  [santa_wink]

However, it's also quite apparent that supposedly being broke doesn't stop them from driving from Maine to New York in the middle of the night on a whim that they might learn something about Charles Collins.  [santa_shocked]

Though what's perhaps more important about today's quote is that it's a MUST quote!  [santa_wink]

Though one thing that didn't occur to me when I made that post is that the blurb about the Jenkins' accident is not in the script and was added to the film in post production. Given that, apparently whoever wrote it, if it wasn't Sam Hall (though if it was Sam Hall, well...  [santa_rolleyes] [santa_rolleyes]), had no idea that Scene 88 establishes that the Jenkins are broke. Or they didn't associate being broke with the likelihood of the financial windfall having a major motion picture made from one of your novels would bring. But still, who knows?  [santa_undecided] [santa_rolleyes]

[nods]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: December 08, 2023, 12:02:04 AM »
Perhaps Claire and Alex had the same literary agent who represented Lara Parker. That could explain everything.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 08, 2023, 03:08:10 PM »
A subtitles/closed captioning post to revisit which has been edited to replace TV video screen captures:

When it comes to Scene 88, not only is there quite a bit of possibly improvised dialogue to begin the scene, but the closed captioning and, to a lesser degree, the subtitles have all sorts of issues.

First up:

Interestingly, when it comes to the first improvised line from Scene 88, it appears on screen in both the subtitles and the closed captioning at the end of Scene 80 (and we'll recall that Scenes 74 through Scene 80 appear in the film after Scene 86 rather than before it) -

- even though it doesn't come up in the film until Claire appears on screen -

- (and for some reason there's more glare than usual off of the TV screen for the closed captions) - and even though the next improvised lines are Alex asking "All right, sweetheart, some wine?" followed by Claire replying "Just a touch", the subtitles drop Alex saying "All right" -

- and the closed captioning oddly has -

- and doesn't even acknowledge Claire's reply.

Much more to come...

(ADMIN: Edited to replace TV video screen captures)

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 09, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
The next subtitles/closed captioning post to revisit which has been edited to replace TV video screen captures:

Continuing with the issues with the closed captioning and the subtitles for Scene 88.

Next up:

After Claire has replied "Just a touch," Alex repeats "Just a touch and then adds "Now who'd a thought we'd have been here two years ago?", though the subtitles have -

- but the closed captioning only has -

- and to that Claire replies "I would have." to which Alex says, "You would, huh?", and the subtitles reflect that -

- but the closed captioning only has -

- with Alex' line dropped - and while Quentin then remarks "Makes life interesting," and the subtitles reflect that -

- for some reason the closed captioning has -

- adding a word that's not there instead of dropping entire lines - and that last subtitle gets a jump on the next line in the scene but we won't deal with that until next time...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 09, 2023, 08:02:04 PM »
Another post related to Scene 88 that's worth revisiting:

And something that's interesting about Scene 88 (and 89) for me is that I have never (and perhaps no one has ever) seen one still from the scene/sequence.

OMG - How could I have said such foolishness?! I (and apparently everyone else reading this topic, because no one corrected me  [santa_sad]) completely forgot about this still:

And as if it wasn't bad enough that I forgot about my own copy of the still (which I just came across while looking for stills for upcoming Scenes 96 & 97), but it also appears on page 24 of the booklet for the movies' soundtrack CD (though that version is somewhat cropped).

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 09, 2023, 11:16:06 PM »
And another subtitles/closed captioning post to revisit which has been edited to replace TV video screen captures:

I've finally gotten the chance to continue with the issues with the closed captioning and the subtitles for Scene 88.

Next up:

As I'd alluded to last time, the next thing Alex says is "Will you take a look at this thing?", which is reworked slightly from what is scripted, however, as can be seen in the previous post, the subtitles drop the "Will you," and the closed captioning not only also drop that, it only has -

- with even "thing" being dropped - and after that Alex then says "Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk," and the subtitles reflect that but the closed captioning completely ignores it - after which Alex says, "Honey, remember, we are broke," and surprisingly enough both the subtitles and the close captioning acknowledge that - and then Alex possibly improvises, "A little more wine for the gentleman," as he makes his way to Quentin and both the subtitles -

- and the closed captioning -

- also acknowledge that - however, as his first reply to that, Quentin mouths, "Thank you" -

- but neither the subtitles nor the closed captioning acknowledges that.

And there's even more to come...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 10, 2023, 05:46:42 PM »
Something I forgot to add to the precious post is that I noticed something this time around that I don't think I did previously. When it comes to Alex reminding Claire that they're broke, the closed captioning italicizes the word "we" -

- whereas the subtitles do not -

- and normally something like that may not make all that much of an impression on me - but as we'll see when I share how Scene 88 is scripted, in both Grayson's and DC's versions of the scene that section of Alex' lines are written as -

88     CONTD                                  CONTD    88

ALEX
                      (gesturing to Claire)
                 Will you look at that dress?
                 Gregory strikes again!  He must
                 think we're the manor folk --
                 honey, remember we're broke.

- with the "we're" underlined so as to indicate it's to be given emphasis on delivery.

Now, in the film Alex actually says "we are" rather than "we're," and only the "we" is italicized, but what makes this instance stand out is that there are other examples in the script of words being underlined for emphasis - in fact, there's an upcoming Carlotta line in this same scene where it occurs - but those underlined words are not featured in italics in the closed captioning. If whoever did the closed captioning followed along with the script, which is something we've suspected they might have done, given how some of the closed captions are closer to what's in the script than they are to what's actually said in the film, who knows why he/she chose to italicize this instance and not the others? But of course, only they know the reason why...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:00 PM »
And yet another subtitles/closed captioning post to revisit which has been edited to replace TV video screen captures:

Continuing with the issues with the closed captioning and the subtitles for Scene 88.

Next up:

After Quentin mouths his thank you, he possibly improvises aloud "A little wine," and both the subtitles -

- acknowledge it - and after that point as Carlotta enters the room Alex greets her with "Well, hello, Carlotta - how are you?", which both the subtitles -

- also acknowledge. (And if looks could kill, that look Carlotta gives Alex when he asks how she is would have certainly killed him! [santa_grin])

Things briefly go back to what's scripted after all this, but a shift in dialogue and more possible improvisation are coming next time...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 11, 2023, 07:50:02 PM »
You may have noticed that when it comes to the "How are you?" screen captures in the above post they're not at all similar, and what you may not remember is that they had been when the TV video captures where originally posted. Well, that's because when I was getting the new closed captioning screen captures from the direct video copy I was able to make of the VHS I discovered something fascinating, or at least fascinating to me: apparently, even though I'd obviously used the VHS version of NoDS for both, when I shot video off the TV screen with my phone and when I made the direct video copy of it, the closed captioning displayed differently depending on what was decoding it. When it came to the TV screen video, it was the TV that decoded the closed captioning, but when it came to the direct video, it was the VCR in which I played the VHS tape that decoded the closed captioning. Who knew that could display differently because one would assume that the same instructions encoded on the VHS tapes would make the closed captionig display the same regardless of what was decoding them. But we know how dangerous it is to assume, so apparently not.

One thing I had noticed when it came to the earlier closed captioning screen captures I've replaced is that the boxes for the closed captioning didn't display on the screen in the same places. But it always seemed as if they appeared on the screen in the same video frames and lasted the same number of frames. However, I discovered that is not the case when it comes to the "How are you?" closed captioning box and those around it. Check out the following side by side frame comparison of how "How are you?" first displays:

(Click here for a 620X465 version)
(Click here for a 620X449 version

When "How are you?" first displays in the direct video, "Well, hello, Carlotta" is still on display in the TV video, and "How are you?" doesn't fully display in the TV video until four frames after that. And when it comes to how long it is that "How are you?" lasts on screen in each version, it's even wonkier. But I won't get into that until my next post...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 11, 2023, 11:52:06 PM »
Continuing from above:

As you can see, in the direct video "How are you?" disappears six frames earlier than it does in the TV video - both "How are you?" and "What's that?" appear simultaneously in a TV video frame, which is so bizarre - and "What's that?" appears by itself 2 frames earlier in the direct video than it does in the TV video! Given both videos should be reflecting the exact same instructions on the VHS, who knows why/how the displays generated by the VCR are so different from those generated by the TV? But as I've said in earlier posts when I came across missing letters or entire words in the closed captioning, I've given up trying to fathom such things. But nonetheless I continue to find it fascinating when they occur - and particularly when they occur with no rhyme or reason as in this instance. It'll be quite interesting if down the line I come across any other instances similar to it...  [santa_undecided]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 12, 2023, 03:02:16 PM »
I forgot to mention yesterday that in this particular instance I was very happy to see the TV video screen captures get replaced because when it came to Carlotta it was like some sort of faceless entity -

- had entered the room. It's quite interesting how the brighter aspects of the footage become so blown out when shot directly off of the TV screen...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: December 12, 2023, 05:58:30 PM »
Kicking off revisiting how Scene 88 is scripted:

There are two slightly different ways that Scene 88 is setup, depending on whose script one is reading. Grayson's sets things up thusly, beginning at the bottom of page 37:

CUT TO:

88     INT - DINING ROOM - NIGHT - GROUP SHOT           88

Seen from the corridor as the CAMERA TRUCKS TOWARD
       THEM.  They have finished dinner and are on their
       coffee.

Whereas in DC's script he has handwritten at the top of page 38:

INT. CORRIDOR NIGHT  - TRUCKING
        Camera truck toward dining
        room - they have finished dinner

And in both cases that's when today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Alex (gesturing to Claire): 'Will you look at that dress? Gregory strikes again! He must think we're the manor folk -- honey, remember, we're broke.'

- comes up in the script.

And so far as anything being different with the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, as can be seen in this first capture -

- at first we simply see Claire, and this is where quite a bit of possibly improvised dialogue begins with Claire stating "I'm glad I'm not driving" - and as the camera pans to show Tracy and Alex, the next capture shows that as Tracy takes a sip of her wine -

- Alex makes his way toward Claire while he asks "All right, sweetheart, some wine?" - to which Claire responds "Just a touch", Alex repeats "Just a touch", and Tracy laughs as the camera, as can be seen in this next capture -

- has been moving in to reveal all four of them  - and after Alex asks "Now who would have thought we would have been here two years ago?", Claire replies "I would have" as -

she raises her hand in the air and looks to the heavens and then toward Tracy with a smile - to which Alex replies "You would, huh?" - and then Quentin remarks "Makes life interesting" - and after that what Alex actually says as -

- he takes Claire's dress in hand, as can be seen in today's capture, is "Will you take a look at this thing? Gregory strikes again!" - and as Claire basically ignores him, I love how she simply reaches for her wine glass -

-which is apparently more important to her, as Alex continues with "He must think we're the manor folk -- honey, remember, we are broke" - and after he says that he bends down to kiss the top of Claire's head -

- and then he follows that off screen with "A little more wine for the gentleman", meaning Quentin - to which Quentin mouths "Thank you" and audibly replies "A little wine" - and then when Carlotta enters the room, Alex says "Well, hello, Carlotta - how are you?" - to which at first she barely registers a reaction other than -

- looking none too pleased with him - but then I love how she manages to -

- come up with a slight smile.

End of improvising, but the scene certainly goes on...

And the handwritten opening description in DC's script makes no mention of the group being on their coffee - though, of course, they're actually drinking wine in the film. But apparently DC didn't care what they were drinking, only that they'd finished dinner.  [wink2]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: December 12, 2023, 07:06:10 PM »
And I love this post related to the revisited post in Reply #1424:

Ooh, Alex got the Carlotta death glare!  But only for a brief moment.  So he failed to turn to stone.

I suddenly want a TV show called "Cooking with Carlotta."  "Resist adding more old bay seasoning at this point... IF you can."

I can so see Carlotta delivering the "If you can" part just like she does in upcoming Scene 132.  [santa_wink] [santa_grin]

I actually wish we'd learned what they'd had for dinner. All the script tells us is that Carlotta is capable of making a salad (and Grayson's script adds that she serves it with white wine (that detail of which we almost get to learn on the DVD/Blu-ray but it's cut off before we do). Let's hope Carlotta served something that was much more interesting, not that there's anything wrong with salad and white wine.  [ghost_nowink]  I've eaten that combination more than once when I was interested in something light, especially on a hot summer day...

And it's so true that Alex is lucky he didn't turn to stone.  [santa_wink]

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 13, 2023, 12:52:32 AM »
Revisiting the next section of how Scene 88 is scripted:

Quentin looks TOWARD CAMERA as if it were Carlotta,
       who just entered the room.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'What's that?'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

CARLOTTA

Having just ENTERED the room, she holds a gift-
       wrapped package.

TRACY O.S.
                 It's our surprise.

WIDEN as Carlotta crosses to Quentin and gives him
       the package.

QUENTIN
                 What is it?

He starts to rip the paper.

And as far as anything different in the dialogue goes, both of Quentin's lines are delivered exactly as written, but Tracy actually says "That's your surprise", which would seem to make more sense.

And as far as anything different with the descriptions and directions go, we don't actually see Quentin look toward camera as if it were Carlotta who entered the room because, as was already obvious with the last two captures in reply #188, we see Carlotta enter the room, and the camera shot remains at that angle - and before Quentin notices the package, he actually reaches for something on the table and begins to chew it before he asks what it is that Carlotta has - and after Tracy answers off screen that it's a surprise, without the indicated widening of the frame, Carlotta then moves from where she's been standing on screen all along and hands the package to Quentin as Alex sits and pours himself some wine - and Quentin doesn't so much as rip the paper as he lifts the top off the box.

And when it comes to DC's script, he has a notation between Quentin asking "What's that?" and Carlotta's scripted entrance -

QUENTIN
           What's that?
INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT
 CARLOTTA

- but as can be seen, he doesn't consider it a new scene - and in the film things are no longer shot through the dining room doorway but in the actual dining room beginning with Alex saying "A little more wine for the gentleman", as could be seen in reply #188's captures of Carlotta's entrance into the room.

And when it comes to Grayson's script, she has a notation for the point in the script where Carlotta enters (which just so happens to be in the same place that DC has his notation), but for the life of me I can't really decipher all of her handwriting. See if you can:

References to Reply #188 also refer to Reply #1424 this time around.

And here's a series of posts related to the question I posed regarding those shared notes in Grayson's script:

Let's see. I read it as Specific change around others. Taut tense unbending.

How does that sound to you, MB?

Actually, that sounds perfect and makes me wonder why I didn't see it myself?  [ghost_embarrassed]  It was mostly the "specific" that was giving me trouble.

Thanks!  [ghost_smiley]

My years of having to decipher extremely creative penmanship from my OTB career sometimes pays off in unexpected ways.  [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_grin]

I see. Good to know! And if I have any other deciphering problems, you'll be the first I'll ask!!  [nodassent]  [wink2]

Just another part of my reasonably checkered past that has come in handy.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_wink]

And as we saw our resident brilliant Deciphernator was able to deduce many other notes that I'd shared. But sadly it seems as if  even he was stumped when it came to the one I posted back in Reply #1311. But then Grayson's writing sometimes borders on how indecipherable the Egyptian Hieroglyphs were before the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, so no one is blaming him.  [ghost_nowink] [ghost_grin]

[nods]