Author Topic: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows  (Read 106950 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 50th Anniversary, Night of Dark Shadows
« Reply #600 on: May 26, 2022, 11:30:45 PM »
The first of four stills I plan to share from Scene 190:

(Click here for a 765X556 version)

And as with a few other stills, the captioned version that appears in the NoDS Pressbook -

- though not only does the caption misrepresent what's really going on in the scene, it's cut off from some odd reason. And one might think in an official MGM publication something like that wouldn't happen. But obviously it did. And they couldn't even get the order of the actors right...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 27, 2022, 03:18:08 AM »
The second of four from Scene 190:

And this caption also misrepresents what's really going on in the scene. Who knows where someone got the ideas that Carlotta, Alex and Gerard are seeing Angelique's ghost when they're really just seeing Quentin? Too weird.

But anyway, this one was published as part of a NoDS article in 16 Spec Magazine, and that's the only place I've ever seen it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 28, 2022, 12:00:01 AM »
The third of four from Scene 190:

(Click here for a 597X900 version)

And this also appears on page 110 of The DS Companion.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2022, 02:44:52 AM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'You didn't succeed, Quentin. She's still alive.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 190 with Grayson's script:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, and about some seemingly odd notations in Grayson's script...

And I bet Carlotta's blood ran cold when she learned Tracy wasn't as dead as she'd thought.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 29, 2022, 12:12:59 AM »
The fourth of four from Scene 190:

(Click here for a 599X800 version)

And while I've never seen this officially published anywhere, I have come across beige tinted copies of it that look to me like they are scanned from a magazine or book. Though, as is often the case, no one who has shared those copies has cited any source, though presumably the original scanner should have known a source, but either they didn't cite it or I may have just never come across that version that might have cited it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 29, 2022, 02:16:08 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'Are you going to try and tell me that you don't know what you did tonight?'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'I didn't do a damn thing. I've been painting all evening. Now, for the last time, what are you so hysterical about?'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 190, beginning with yesterday's quote -

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions, and about how I love the expression on Carlotta's face in yesterday's capture:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 30, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »
Referring back to the still in Reply #604, as hinted at in the screen cap in Reply #605, Quentin doesn't come down the stairs as he's seen in the still with his hands on his hips, the whole time he's coming down, he's buttoning his shirt:

Why do I suspect that he didn't have his shirt undone (and perhaps even more than that) because in the middle of the night it was hot in the tower due to the temperature outside? Why might we believe instead that any heat generated in the tower was most probably between Quentin and Angelique?  [naughty]  And I wonder if when the still was shot David Selby and/or DC hadn't yet thought of having Quentin descend the stairs while buttoning his shirt. Perhaps it was something that simply popped into Selby's and/or DC's head(s) while shooting and they tried it for a take and that take is the one they went with for the film...

And there's a reason I went with a clip with subtitles - but more on that in a later post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 31, 2022, 12:34:19 AM »
Originally I had no intention of checking the subtitles for Scene 190, but I still had my Blu-ray copy of NoDS set for subtitles from back when I did Scene 85. So, when I captured the video of Scene 190, the subtitles were displaying. And I was quite surprised at how many words were missing here and there in only a 12 second period.  [easter_rolleyes]

Rather than -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'What are you talking about, Alex?'

- the subtitles simply has -

And rather than -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'Are you going to try and tell me that you don't know what you did tonight?'

- the subtitles has -

And rather than -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'I didn't do a damn thing. I've been painting all night.'

- the subtitles has -

Granted, the subtitles are close to what is actually said. They're nothing like that very odd caption/subtitle of Gabriel's from Scene 85. But still, why drop any words?

And changing the subject entirely, we have this screen capture:

Am I the only one that gets a vibe that there may be more than anger passing between Gerard and Alex?  [9341]  Just look at the way they're staring into each other's eyes.  [naughty]  What's it they say: there's a thin line between love and hate.  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 31, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of yesterday's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'You tried to drown Tracy!'

- and/or today's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'It wasn't you, Quentin. It was Charles Collins drowning his wife all over again.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 190, beginning with yesterday's quote -

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions, and about some notations that Grayson made in her script when it came to a line of Carlotta's that was ultimately dropped. What would have been really interesting is if Carlotta had actually said with regard to Alex' explanation that it's a bullshit card because Grayson wrote that in reference to it. But, alas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 01, 2022, 02:30:39 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'For God's sake, Quentin! Will you listen to me! She's at my place with Claire right now. Now you've got to get out of this house!'

- and/or today's second quote -

Page 90/Scene 190 - Alex (softly): 'All you have to do is come with me -- Tracy understands.'

- check out -

Continuing Scene 190, beginning with today's first quote -

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, and the several differences in the descriptions and the directions...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2022, 04:12:30 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of today's first quote -

Page 90/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'Where is Mrs. Collins?'

Page 90/Scene 190 - Carlotta: 'I'm sure she's in her room, sir.'

- check out -

And continuing with more of Scene 190, beginning with Quentin's reaction to Alex telling him that Tracy understands:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, the descriptions and the directions, about how I love the look of innocence on Carlotta's face, and about a note in Grayson's script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 03, 2022, 06:06:10 PM »

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin (quietly): 'You're right. She's gone. So she's left me. If that's the way she wants it, fine.'

Page 91/Scene 191A - Alex: 'Quentin, that's not...'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 190 and moving on:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, and the many differences from the descriptions and the directions, and it's also interesting how once again it looks like David Selby and/or DC made choices to make it clear that Quentin's attitude was being influenced by Charles, though given that DC had such little regard for character oriented moments I would place the choices more with Selby...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 04, 2022, 03:54:53 PM »
If you want to learn about or refresh your memory concerning the background of the first part of today's quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin: 'Alex, I've known you for a long time. But listen to me. I'm sick of your insane writer's mind. Don't ask me anymore questions. Don't bug me anymore. Just get out of here.'

- and/or the second part of today's quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin: 'And take her with you --'

- check out -

Wrapping up Scene 191A and moving on to the next scene:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the dialogue, and several differences from the descriptions and the directions with regard to Scenes 191A and 191B - and check out -

Oops, I forgot to mention yesterday...

- this post to learn about notes both DC and Grayson made in their scripts...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 05, 2022, 12:20:18 AM »
And according to that call sheet that I came across, the corridor/stairs portion of Scene 190 and Scenes 191A and 191B were all shot on April 6th. Because Scene 191 took place in the Master Bedroom, apparently it was shot at some other time when shooting was taking place in that room...

[nods]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 05, 2022, 02:36:15 PM »

Page 92/Scene 192 - Carlotta: 'You did it for her -- for Angelique.'

Page 92/Scene 192 - Quentin (as it sinks in): 'I tried to kill my wife --'

- check out -

Beginning the next scene:

- this post and to learn about the differences in the descriptions and the directions, and about notes Grayson made in her script...

[nods]