Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--When DS was good, (4/17)  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--When DS was good, (4/17)
« on: April 18, 2002, 05:39:06 PM »
it was very, very good . . .

I know, I know, you're thinking what vitriol is going to be spilling from Luciaphil's tart tongue today and probably something like, is she bitter or what?   ;)

Well the answer to #1 is read on and be pleasantly surprised and I'll let you know about #2 after I finish this semester.

Fashion notes first . . .

Very mixed feelings about Naomi's green dress.  I love this color, but then there are very few colors that Joan Bennett could not wear well.  It's a lovely shade of green, very springlike, but I dunno.  There's just too much going on with the gown to make it a winner to me.  If they'd lost the ruffles, or the sprigged flower thing, or if the sleeves had been plainer, but as it is too busy.  The cloak, however, is splendid.

Brief comment that Louis Edmonds, stern and plain as Joshua's wardrobe might be, really looks rather handsome in an gentlemanly older man kind of way.

Millicent's cape.  Maybe it's the blue or all that lace, but this outfit just sort of washed her out.  Not a winner.  

Onto the show.

Wow.  Nobody was asleep at the wheel on the days when these episodes were taped.  I mean that.  There was not a one of the actors who was not on target.  The writing, although a wee bit weaker in parts of the second episode, was excellent.   And maybe because the directors weren't worrying about floating hands or flaming witches, they had the time to devote to the actors.  It shows.  It really, really shows.

I wasn't actually going to write a column thingy for these episodes, just so much going on with me as far as real life, but when I realized that these particular episodes were airing, well, I made the time.

Where do I begin?

Millicent.  You know, what I really love about this character is that she is always trying to do "the right thing."  Her notion of what is "right" may be an extreme, but that's part of what it makes it so fun.  That and the fact, that Millicent, without much encouragement or attention of others, tries.  She labors mightily hard, but she does try.  I have to admire that.

And the poor little thing does have feelings.  As was evidenced by her response to Joshua's bull-in-the-china approach and that awful remark that could have come straight from James' The Heiress about no one looking twice at her.

Crothers, Barrett, and Edmonds were amazing.  All of them.  The confrontation/blackmail scene in the study . . . wow.  The layers of misperception and crossed communication.  Watching Joshua's stern facade crack like that . . . really, really something else.

Nathan continues to interest me.  Whereas Millicent doggedly keeps trying to steer a correct course through life, he's apparently decided "to prove himself a villain."  I don't think it's because he an inherently evil man or he wouldn't have hesitated for a second to perjure himself at the trial.  Rather, I think it's because he's lazy and because he wants success too much.  Maybe too, it's because any moral compass he did have (who I would venture to say, scarily enough, was Barnabas Collins) is gone.  His world's upside down and he's decided to hell with it and that he's going to do whatever he has to to get ahead.  Having tasted power, he's not going to stop now.

On an unrelated note, I felt rather sorry for Ben.  Poor guy must have been truly exhausted.  Put in a full day of work for Joshua, then when he should be sleeping, he has to go to the Old House and try and keep up with Barnabas.

Now we come to the jewel of the piece.  The scenes between Frid and Edmonds.  They were both spot on.  God, they were good.  No problem with flies or missed lines, which helps, of course.  But what I mean is the perfectly tuned characters, the emotions, the sense of tortured family history that just sort of quietly seethed away under the surface . . . this was damn good stuff.

I do not understand how anyone who has seen these two episodes can question Joshua's love for his son.    

You don't feel that depth or kind of pain for someone's actions unless you love them.  You just don't.

I was struck at how lost these two men are.  Joshua was prepared to bring Barnabas to the authorities, which would probably kill Naomi.  Barnabas was prepared to kill his father so that his mother wouldn't find out about him.  What seems to occur to neither of them is that either "solution" would destroy Naomi.  

Speaking of Naomi, watching her and Joshua and then seeing Joshua with Barnabas, the sad fact is that all of these characters are so alone.  They've always been alone.  That just comes across so clearly.  They're isolated in these separate worlds and the true tragedy is that they never can seem to truly connect.  They're lost.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--When DS was good, (4/17)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 07:27:48 PM »
The scenes, particularly between Joshua and Barnabas, but also Joshua and Naomi were fantastic.  You expressed it all so well, there's really no need to say anything else!

I could never figure out, though, when his father actually saw him come out of the coffin, he admits to the killings and says that he was compelled, and says that he can't kill himself - making his father think that he's a coward, why he didn't come straight out at that point and say that he's a vampire and that the gun won't kill him.  It's only when his father comes back that it gets to that point.  And, in saying that he's cursed, why didn't he go on to say that Angelique did it?  (I'll have to wait, maybe it still happens).

I was also a bit surprised at Nathan.  Even though he's sure he has Joshua where he needs him, I would think he'd go a bit slower about the way he's making himself at home and starting to "run things."  He's still a bit on precarious ground.  Even though Joshua is giving in to him and he's sure that maintaining the secret is paramount to Joshua, I would think he'd still "behave" a little while longer - at least until he's actually married!

Josette

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2002, 02:18:47 AM »
As usual we're in total agreement, Luciaphil. yes, episodes like these are what made DS great. I think the moment that really got to me is when Barnabas went to strangle Joshua, and the shock that both of them registered at this attempt! Then when Joshua went upstairs to get rid of Naomi it was one of the few times he was really kind to her.

Great acting all around, as you say.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 10:20:25 AM »
I agree with you Luciaphil, these episodes were wonderul! It was something to see such emotional scenes between father & son. It's obvious that Joshua does love his son, and not being an emotional person, always had a rather hard time showing it.  Another good point is how they seem to be isolated from each other. Each one is trying to spare another's feelings. In doing so, it only makes matters worse because instead of bringing them together, it only tears them apart.

Josette, you and I are thinking along the same lines here. Nathan is surely overdoing it!  It's like he's getting greedier by the day. What's the big rush? He finally won back Millicent, married her, and yet he still can't wait to get his hands on the dough. It sounds like another Barnabas/Angelique theme, Angelique finally got what she wanted, and then goes and ruins it all! It amazes me how much Lt.Forbes has changed since the beginning of the storyline.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2002, 03:30:55 PM »
All story telling begins and ends with words.  Whether you read them off a page, or listen to them being spoken by an actor, it's all about the words.

Sometimes, on this show, they get the words just right.  Sometimes, it's the brilliant performances of the actors that elevate the words to art....as with Messrs. Edmonds and Frid.

But sometimes the words are just there to get you from one place to another and I think this applies to Nathan's rapid descent into cartoon-like villainy.

We're coming to the end of the 1795 segment, and there are so many loose ends to tie up before we leave here....so many deaths, so many plots turns already...and so many resolutions to be attempted.  There simply won't be enough time to allow Nathan to change gradually, as they have to set his plot to get his hands on Daniel and the money into motion, as quickly as possible.

Or.....I'm giving TPTB on that set too much credit and they just didn't give a damn...but I don't think so.

Excellent, as always Luciaphil....and in the middle of so much "real" work!!!  

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2002, 05:51:50 PM »
Regarding Nathan, one of the things that bothered me while watching the 1795 story during its original run was the drastic change in his character. I could never reconcile the change, it was just too severe and happened too quickly, with no good explaination.  So I really like your analysis of his character and actions, Luciaphil.  It provides a believable explaination for the change.  i especialy liked your idea of Barnabas being Nathan's "moral compass", as their friendship in the begining seemed very strong and genuine.  It makes sense that he would be affected by Barnabas' absence.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2002, 01:15:14 AM »
I don't know that it was really such a drastic change in Nathan as there were always hints of this character.  But, in the beginning we mostly saw the good side of him.  His friendship with Barnabas could have been genuine, but he might also have been taking advantage of a connection with the great Collins family.  The instant he heard about Millicent's money he perked up and immediately started to make a play for her.

We subsequently learned that he was already married, so he clearly knew what he was up to from the start.  So, I think the seeds of all of this were already there.  But, as long as it was possible to act or at least pretend to act honorably, he did.

True, possibly for the reasons suggested by others here, the actual overt change in his behavior came about rather quickly, but I don't see it as a reversal in his character, just a revelation to us of his true nature.
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2002, 05:55:20 PM »
Josette writes:
And, in saying that he's cursed, why didn't he go on to say that Angelique did it?  (I'll have to wait, maybe it still happens).

Uh, I'm pretty sure Barn did tell Dad it was Angelique.

Yes...this is VERY, very good...

I'd imagine that the "housewives" of 1968 were loving this daily!!

What a Woman!