Author Topic: Semi-OT: Smithy (Novel)  (Read 496 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Semi-OT: Smithy (Novel)
« on: May 08, 2021, 04:25:51 AM »
Hello, cousins!

I have some news I'm excited to share. Last month, my first book, a novel called Smithy, was published. This  was the culmination of years of work, waiting, and wondering if my writing would ever see the light of day.

Smithy is a story inspired by the famous haunted houses of Great Britain. However, I've never been to Great Britain, so I decided to write what I did know and set my story in a place I have visited: Newport, RI. In fact, the purportedly haunted house in my book resembles a very particular house in Newport with which we're all familiar (hence the "Semi-OT" in my post).

One blogger who reviewed my book recognized the connection and has illustrated her review of Smithy with images of Seaview Terrace: https://amiesbookreviews.wordpress.com/2021/02/20/smithy-by-indie-author-amanda-desiree-is-a-triumph-this-exceptional-book-is-one-of-the-best-horror-titles-i-have-read-in-years-and-is-truly-unique-destined-to-be-the-sleeper-hit-of-2021/?fbclid=IwAR1TKpjRbK1xmn1RLWe7dw3cMyX8106e1VAcyOgSAAkYijAW58zGJtWxjbE

My book is dedicated to "my cousins from England." When I started out in online fandom, I participated in several fan fiction groups that helped me cut my writing teeth. Moreover, I've always felt welcomed and accepted within the DS community more than anywhere else. Thank you all for your support!

ProfStokes/Amanda Desiree

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-OT: Smithy (Novel)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS, PROFSTOKES!!!!!

What wonderful news!  And such a great review!!  Lots of congratulations - hope to read it!!
Josette

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 12:20:50 PM »
Congratulations, ProfStokes. Wow, what a great accomplishment for you!

I very much look forward to reading “Smithy.” Dr. Piers Preis-Herald sounds to be a compelling character.

All the best,

Bob

PS No doubt, the estimable Professor T. Elliott Stokes would be extremely proud of you.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
Congratulations! Wishing you success with this publishing and future endeavors.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
Wanted to pass along my 2 cents. I was fortunate to receive an advance rough draft of Smithy and while it isn't a true Dark Shadows book, it most definitely has a DS feel to it. Anybody who has visited the above mentioned mansion or DS fans in general will no doubt feel an instant attachment to both the spookiness element of the storyline and to the mansion details while reading. I highly recommend it and congrats to Amanda.  [book2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »
Wow, how fantastic for you, ProfStokes! I wish you loads of success!  [easter_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 04:13:27 AM »
Congratulations, ProfStokes!!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 01:35:09 AM »
Congrats, ProfStokes!  I'm so jealous!  I've always wanted to be a published author; I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Gerard

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 12:22:33 AM »
Wanted to pass along that profstokes will be having an in person book signing for Smithy this Saturday July 17th at 3pm at Dark Delicacies bookstore on 822 N. Hollywood Way in Burbank. Here's wishing she has a great turnout!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »
Here's a link to my review of Smithy on Amazon. I'll post the text here as well, in case the link doesn't work.
https://www.amazon.com/Smithy-Amanda-Desiree/dp/1950301214/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=smithy&qid=1627216560&sr=8-1

The Doctor and K9
5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and Compelling Page Turner!
Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2021
Verified Purchase
This novel is fascinating because of the meticulous research that was put into the subject of the study of language acquisition in apes. I've read extensively about this subject, focusing on the chimp Washoe and the gorilla Koko. Ms. Desiree has her facts down cold, grounding the novel in a bedrock of gritty realism that pulls the reader relentlessly in. There are never any moments of skepticism that thrust the reader out of the world she's created. The chimp, Webster, or Smithy to his friends, is lovable and draws the reader into his world.

As a bonus, Ms. Desiree has faithfully recreated my hometown, Newport RI. The characters exist in the place where I grew up. Her research was impeccable. She stated that Labor Day, 1975 was rainy. I looked it up. There was indeed a half an inch of rain on that day. I would not have called her out on it, had she used dramatic license, but I was impressed that her book concurred with what actually happened. I suppose this could have been a lucky guess on her part. Either way, her research into the history of the town was spot on. Her descriptions of the settings were immediately recognizable to me as places I've visited since I was a child.

The story is character based, and the plot is laid on layer by layer. The tension builds gradually as we see it grow through the eyes of the various students conducting the research. It's an epistolary novel reminiscent of Dracula. Both set up realistic worlds in which sane and reliable narrators report fantastic events in credible manners. We buy into the story because we believe and trust them.

The novel is both creepy and thought provoking. It's one of the best novels I've read in a long time.