Author Topic: Breaking News: Diana Millay Has Passed Away  (Read 711 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Breaking News: Diana Millay Has Passed Away
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:07:00 PM »
Sad to report that Diana Millay passed away earlier today. Diana was a fixture at the festivals for many years and was quite the fan favorite. She had been suffering from dementia for many years and had been in a long term care facility for some time. She is survived by her son Kiley.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News: Diana Millay Has Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:10 PM »
R.I.P.

Her DS intro is my all-time fave.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »
We lose another DS bright star.  I met her at the 2003 festival; she was, shall we say, um, "interesting."  She had just arrived at her table, laden with boxes of stuff to sell, saw us, pointed and said:  "Help me put this stuff out."  So we did as she gave orders to us as well as to others with her - I believe one was Jim Pierson who acted more as a partner than a helping hand to her ventures.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:14:55 AM »
That's really sad and unfortunate news.  [snow_sad]

As I've often said, I really love her performances as both Lauras. She played them to perfection. And whenever the writers gave her a good zinger to throw at her scene partner, and they did it quite often, you could tell that she really relished giving it to them.  [snow_wink]  At times I've actually had to pause her eps because she had me laughing so much at Laura's put downs!!  [snow_laugh]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #441 - Remembering Diana Millay
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 07:20:19 AM »
SHADOWGRAM – THE OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS NEWS ONLINE UPDATES
Friday, January 8, 2021
SHADOWGRAM UPDATE # 441

REMEMBERING DIANA MILLAY (June 7, 1935-January 8, 2021)

It is with extreme sadness that we report the passing of beloved Dark Shadows actress Diana Millay who portrayed Laura Collins.

Debuting as Dark Shadows' first full-fledged supernatural character in 1966, Diana relished playing the immortal phoenix Laura, the estranged wife to Roger Collins (Louis Edmonds) who returns to claim her son David (David Henesy).  Following Laura's fiery finale in 1967, Diana returned to the series in 1969 with an earlier incarnation of Laura in the 1897 storyline. She played another version of Laura in the 1971 motion picture Night of Dark Shadows.

Diana was passionate about her role as Laura and shared her enthusiasm for many years at Dark Shadows Festivals and other events.  Her love for art, history, folklore and travel prompted Diana to host an overseas excursion with fans to Egypt in 1988 and to Romania in 2003.

Born in Rye, New York, Diana began modeling as a child into her teens and started acting in summer stock stage plays during summer vacations. By the mid-1950s into the early 1960s, she was appearing on numerous live television dramas from New York including Kraft Television Theatre, Studio One, Philco Television Playhouse, Omnibus, The U.S. Steel Hour and Playhouse 90.  She also served as straight woman for comics Bob & Ray on The Ed Sullivan Show. In Hollywood, Diana guest-starred in dozens of filmed drama and comedy series from the late 1950s through the 1960s including Perry Mason, Bonanza, Dobie Gillis, Rawhide, Father Knows Best, The Rifleman, Thriller, Maverick, My Three Sons, The Virginian, Route 66, and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.  Her last television appearance was in 1970 as a regular on the soap opera The Secret Storm as Kitty Styles.

Diana's career also included co-starring roles in the motion pictures Tarzan And The Great River and Street Of Sinners. She appeared in the Broadway productions Fair Game, Drink To Me Only, Roger The Sixth, The Glass Rooster and Boeing-Boeing in addition to the national tour of The Seven-Year Itch. Her co-stars included Robert Duvall, Alan Alda, William Shatner, David Janssen, and Peter Graves.

In her later years, Diana added "author" to her list of creative accomplishments, writing the books I'd Rather Eat Than Act, The Power Of Hallowee,n and How To Create Good Luck.

She is survived by her son Kiley Jones.

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:39:30 PM »
Extremely sad news concerning Ms. Millay.  2020 to 2021 has been just “great,” don’t you agree?

My condolences to Ms. Millay’s son, Kiley, on the loss of his beloved mother.  I can only imagine how challenging and heart-breaking it must have been for him to care for an ailing parent during this God-awful pandemic.

Requiem aeternam, Ms. Millay.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 04:05:11 PM »
She was the Auntie Mame of the festivals.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 10:07:27 PM »
I’m so sorry to hear the sad news she was a great actress to all.
Anne 😢
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »
i haven't posted in ages but had to express condolences...

her 1966/67 storyline was my personal favorite. i was instantly mesmerized by her languid delivery (and entering in a hat and gloves no less!).

she was also the first one of "them" i ever met in person. at my first festival (2002-3?) she was there early setting up her booth so we got some "unofficial" face time. i had many amusing, if somewhat odd, exchanges with her over the years with her often telling different variations of the same events. once i asked her which of her two storylines was her favorite and she replied she had no idea what i was talking about. as if she had one continuous run and not two short runs separated by two years. the next time we spoke of it she went into vivid detail about how Dan Curtis called her personally in late 1968 to ask her back for the upcoming 1897 period then in the planning stages.

i once inadvertently caused quite a ruckus in the fandom by posting on this page she had told me the next festival (2004-5?) was definitively the "last one". as if an "official" decision had been made by DCP when she was merely expressing her own unconfirmed belief.

an entertaining and eccentric part of the scene and when she began to "drift" away it was never quite the same. X
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.