Author Topic: Sabastian "Jim Morrison" Shaw  (Read 1422 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Sabastian "Jim Morrison" Shaw
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
I'm watching the new 22 collection DVD the other day, episode 1073, and Elizabeth contacts Sabastian Shaw, the local astrologist, to do a chart on her.  Sabastian has on a pair of skin-tight leather pants.   [hippy2]  I put it on rewind, and sure enough, they are leather pants, or at least a good knock off.  Sabastian, you old dog you.

You have on that hippy peasant shirt and the 'leather' pants...Jim Morrison is appauling you. [flower]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Sabastian "Jim Morrison" Shaw
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
I love Sebastian's leather pants, too.  And I love the memories of Jeb Hawkes' personal Naga totem, that he had with him always, that the trousers bring forth.

Christopher Pennock was quite the luscious bit of crumpet during his DS years.  The roles he played tended to belie the considerable sexual "zing" he could bring to the camera, which was an interesting way of using him on the show.

G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
Gee, I don't know, but I've always thought that actor Abe Vigoda cut a rather dashing figure in his rakishly stylish clothes on Dark Shadows as both Ezra Braithwaite and Otis Green; a geriatric gigolo, if you will!   [coolbrows] [grim]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
I was in my early teens, in junior high, when Sebastian Shaw made his appearance in those groovy clothes.  How I envied those threads, wanting to be just as groovy as that, but my parents would never have allowed what they called "beatnik" appearal.  It was a virtual war for me just to get my first pair of "flare" ("bell-bottom") jeans.  I won't even describe the battle it took to get a pair of wire-rim glasses; it was very bloody.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 07:56:38 PM »
i haven't met sebastian shaw yet but i have been watching the 1970 episodes and i've been thinking alot about this topic myself.

i can't get over how groovy these cats look.style really changed for men in just the four years since the show premiered and these episodes.contrast buttoned-up types like burke devlin,frank garner and dr.guthrie to characters like quentin,jeb and bruno.with their purple eyeshadow,muttonchops and "amadaes" hairdos they look like creatures from another planet.barnabas and roger continue to dress like proper gentlmen however.

i also noticed that there is a tremedous amount of fur being worn across there episodes.was there a fur sale at BREWSTER'S?angelique gets what looks like ocelot and golden mink.elizabeth persian lamb with a chinchilla collar.olivia correy fox(to be worn over paisley silk lounging pajamas).even carolyn gets this hideous patchwork fur minicoat.

the boys get in on the act too.jeb gets that shearling lined leather biker number and bruno gets this ugly beige fur coat too. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »
Bruno's ranch poodle coat!  I want to forget, but I CAN'T.  It's like a scar over the carapace of memory.

I think the moment when Stroka enters with a line something like "Ya don't need to worry now--you've got BRUNO!" has to rank as some sort of pinnacle on DS.  Only to be surpassed by Hallie Stokes greeting to Barnabas and Julia "HUUUUU ARE YUUUUUU!"

The last year of the series was certainly memorable on a variety of levels.

G.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
The last year of the series was certainly memorable on a variety of levels.

Too bad we never got to see Don Briscoe in leather pants - memories are made of such things.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 10:18:56 PM »
While I personally find Chris Pennock one of my very favorites of the DS actors at the festivals, I have often wondered this. Had the series gone on longer, and we had come back to 1971 present day, if the fashions had continued to be "hip", "now" and "Happening", would some of the timlessness of DS be lost. Most of the fashions on the show in the contemporary eras haven't dated badly. Such as Joan Bennett's clothes or Roger's jackets. I have a couple of suits and sportcoats that are variants on something Louis or John may have worn. I think of the general contemporary era, some of the skirts are pretty short, but that has never bothered me.  [laughing_devil] In many ways, '60s fashions seem more timeless that say '70s or '80s. (Among the worst examples of fashions that are just wrong are the later "Happy Days" episodes where Richie and the Fonz are trying to stay '50s but everyone else seems to be on come as you are day, especially Joanie and Chachi.) Anyway, some feedback?

Michael  [happy10]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:07:34 AM »
It would have been terrible to see Barnabas wearing a leisure suit, a pastel green suit with a white belt and shoes. The horror! Oh how ghastly! Roger could have had a lilac one. No this is too awful!

Misa   :o

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Sebastian "Jim Morrison" Shaw
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:47:10 AM »
The early 70s were generally less fashion-oriented, and more realistic and down to earth, for the more aware people that is... more relaxed, less itching to make some stupid statement that would have to be abandoned for the next year's big stupid fashion statement.     This wasn't reflected on TV because TV always took several years to begin to catch up with what actual people were doing.

Oblivious people though, as well as TV producers and executives, still thought fashion was around and "cool", and the smarter and more quietly "hip" were content to let them have fashion, and to let the normals do whatever they wanted to with it, because they just weren't interested.      Just one more thing to laugh at.

So, "fashion" spun off in a weird direction, with no sane people left to put the brakes on the surreal stupidity.   The sane had just started wearing jeans and sneakers, or whatever, and had moved on to something more interesting, like life.      So we got leisure suits, which were worn by younger people for about five minutes (my smart, witty, engaging history teacher had these suits as his only flaw... my stern-- but good-- stone-faced chemistry teacher also dropped his funeral parlor suits for leisure suits that year!) but which almost immediately got adopted by the elderly.

I was somewhat frustrated by CPs sticking of his toe into 60s clothing but never going all the way, bvut then I need to get late 1967-early 69, which I have no tapes nor memories of.

Me, I wish for the (faux) leather pants to have been upon Marie Wallace.

If I had a nickel for every minute of strife I caused for my family by dressing up as Abe Vigoda....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:52:23 AM »
i agree that many of the sixties fashions have something of a "timelessness".what dates the show more are some of the colorations(lime green being a favorite)and the beauty trends(think falls and false eyelashes).

fashionwise the show probably ended at the perfect time.some of the trends of the mid-to-late seventies would not have served our characters well at all.colorwise the palette shifted towards nuetrals and earthtones and those would play as drab against the interiors.the psychadelic color combinations of the sixties made for more of an interesting juxtaposition.also hemlines went to mid-calf and then it was pants...and what's a s.y.t. on d.s. without a mini?and can you imagine frye-boots,gauchos and even(gasp!)jeans?

and oh those seventies "do's"!carolyn with a 'dorothy hamill'?vicki 'farrah fawcett-style'?maggie with a crimped perm a'la barbara streisand in "a star is born"?i think not! :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.