Author Topic: Drunken Shadows  (Read 1397 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Drunken Shadows
« on: February 15, 2006, 07:38:14 AM »
Just watched DRUNKEN MASTER ('78) with Jackie Chan -

About 1hr 15 min into the film, when Wong Fei Hung's teacher is finally demonstrating his Eight Drunken Gods style of Kung Fu, some of Robert Cobert's DS music is used, and the same piece is heard again later during a fight scene!

Anyone know any other films that swiped a little DS music?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline *starshine*

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • norwegiangal
Re: Drunken Shadows
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:32:13 PM »
There is another film that Dan produced that has Dark Shadows music in it.  The invasion of Carol Enders,  It has Meredith Baxter and John Karlen and a glimpse of James Storm in it.  I can't remember much about the movie, except the music was quite familiar.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 01:38:51 AM »
The music from Curtis' classic made-for-TV film, The Night Stalker, has some very Dark Shadowish music to it, a few bits and pieces lifted directly from DS.

Gerard

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 01:52:43 AM »
Curtis also used Cobert's DS music on his tv pilot Dead of Night, and his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with Jack Palance also included the future Quentin's theme.  I believed DS pieces were also used in his version of Dorian Grey. There were probably others!

Petofi

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:18:05 AM »
The DS playroom theme is played by the music box in Dan Curtis's Burnt Offerings.

ProfStokes

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »
Several years ago, I remember seeing a Spanish-language television program that looked like a soap opera of sorts.  It was shot on videotape and took place in what I assume was a mansion.  There was a storm raging outside, and odd little "stings" of DS music were interjected at what seemed to be odd moments.  Someone would be in the middle of a long speech, and a one- or two-second burst of music would suddenly appear on the soundtrack.  I don't speak Spanish, so they might have been used to underscore especially important and dramatic bits of dialogue.  However, it seemed as if they were just thrown in randomly because they came in the middle of speeches, rather than at the end of them.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:23:04 AM »
Curtis also used Cobert's DS music on his tv pilot Dead of Night, and his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with Jack Palance also included the future Quentin's theme.  I believed DS pieces were also used in his version of Dorian Grey. There were probably others!

It sounds as if DC did an actual movie of every plot he stole for a storyline of DS!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
It sounds as if DC did an actual movie of every plot he stole for a storyline of DS!

And recycled Cobert's music in all of them!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:02:29 AM »
Your resident musicologist here with a note about "recycling".  EVERY and I mean EVERY composer recycles compositions or themes at one time or another with maybe the exemption of Mozart.  Just about the entire Handel "Messiah" came from various organ concertos, operas, church music or other smaller compositions.  Because why not?  You got a good tune, why not re-use it?  When you have to churn out a big output in short time frame why not rework what you've already done?

From what I understand, Cobert made the decision to "recycle" his themes, not Dan Curtis.  He was working on Dark Shadows and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at the same time.  Cobert is a really good film/TV composer.  Thus, why wouldn't different movies want to use his great themes?  And, why shouldn't he be able to use the themes he wrote for different projects?

It always makes me happy to recognize them in different productions.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »
You got a good tune, why not re-use it?  When you have to churn out a big output in short time frame why not rework what you've already done?

The Ramones made a career of it! Brilliantly, I might add -  8)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »
Your resident musicologist here with a note about "recycling".  EVERY and I mean EVERY composer recycles compositions or themes at one time or another

Boy, is that ever the TRUTH!  Case in point, went and saw 'The New World' over the weekend (HORRIBLE flick btw) and it was scored by James Horner, one of my all-time favorite movie composers.  Horner also scored 'Braveheart' back in the 90's and there was one piece of music in NW that was DEFINATELY a re-tool of a piece from BH.  Noticed it right off!   :D

Cobert is a really good film/TV composer.

Indeed he is, too bad he's an arrogant SOB though!!  Met him at the Hollywood Fest and was NOT impressed at all w/him.  Come to think of it, I shouldn't have been surprised really as he comes off as quite arrogant in the DS Behind The Scenes tape.   :-
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"