Author Topic: Angelique engineered her own demise?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Angelique engineered her own demise?
« on: February 16, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »
I don't suppose there's ANY DS topic that hasn't been discussed on here (or elsewhere), but this crossed my mind for some reason.  Has this ever been analyzed/resolved?

(I fear this is spoiler territory)
[spoiler]Angelique's cursing of Barnabas not only turned him into a vampire, but also ensured the death of anyone he loved or would love in the future.  Well, in 1840, no sooner has he realized his love for her and is about to tell her, but she dies!  Ah....the irony.

But wait - didn't she lift the curse in 1840?  Or did she just make it so he could function in the daylight?  Also, since she popped up in 1897 AND the present, I assume there's no such thing as Angelique really dying at all??[/spoiler]
It's all just too confusing.  Then when you bring in the time travel element, it's impossible.

:)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique engineered her own demise?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »
Actually, I thought the curse was that [spoiler]anyone who loved HIM would die, which, when you think about it, would have included Angelique herself.[/spoiler]
Pondering this stuff is as likely to induce brain-freeze as ice cream..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »
As I recall it,

[spoiler]When Angelique comes to the secret room to stake Barnabas after his death in 1796, and he rises to find her standing there with a stake at his heart, he makes a sarcastic comment about the curse and how since she "loves" him so much, she should be first in line to die.  I can't recall now whether he alluded to her being a victim of her own curse after her "death" in 1840.  Sam Hall's notes allude to her appearing as a ghost in the present, had they actually done the return-to-1971 storyline.

Lifting a hex is a very tricky thing to accomplish, but I'll spare you the nattering about magickal technique which isn't really relevant to this forum.  She could well have been able to make it possible for him to become human again, but the basic hex that anyone who loved him would die might still have had an influence over how events played out in 1841.  It's an interesting thing I had never really pondered before--probably because the writing was so loosey-goosey at that stage of the game.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
Raineypark:
Actually, I thought the curse was that
[spoiler]...anyone who loved HIM would die, which, when you think about it, would have included Angelique herself.[/spoiler]

Yeah I know - that's what I thought.  But in 1897 when Barn and Magda are sort of comiserating that they are both in the same boat (after Julianka's curse), I think it's Barn that says something like 'anyone we love will die'.  Plus there were those who loved Barnabas - his parents, JULIA, etc., who didn't die.  So, I figured the curse only went one way.

BUT.....as Gothick has just pointed out, (and I've never seen that scene with her and the stake):

[spoiler]If you think about it, if everything was on the level (for lack of a better expression), the minute Angelique put the curse on him, she should have dropped dead immediately![/spoiler]

LOL  Heh heh.....ahem.   ::)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
Plus there were those who loved Barnabas - his parents, JULIA, etc., who didn't die.

But [spoiler]remember, his mother Naomi DID in fact die, she committed suicide when she realized what he'd become due to the curse.[/spoiler]

What I wonder is [spoiler]was Abigail's death, albeit at HIS hands, part of the curse.  You'd think she'd love her nephew and that ultimately is why she died.[/spoiler]   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 08:51:51 PM »
Maybe all the curses that were thrown about kind of ricocheted off each other. Wasn't there ANOTHER curse back in like 1680 or something with Brutus, Miranda and Judah Zachary? Refresh my memory, been a loooong time since I've seen those episodes.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 09:27:32 PM »
Maybe all the curses that were thrown about kind of ricocheted off each other. Wasn't there ANOTHER curse back in like 1680 or something with Brutus, Miranda and Judah Zachary? Refresh my memory, been a loooong time since I've seen those episodes.

Well, Brutus was [spoiler]in the 1841 PT plotline and had nothing to do w/Miranda and Judah.  But HIS curse is why they had to hold the lottery every generation.[/spoiler]   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:28:46 AM »

All I can remember is that

[spoiler]Miranda was a follower of Judah's, and she testified against him at his trial in 1692. When he was convicted, he swore to put a curse on the Collins family. What that curse was...I don't remember.[/spoiler]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 01:34:12 AM »
Well, this is how I resolved what-happened-to-Angelique when I wrote my own Charles-Delaware-Trollish version of a synopsis of the show had it continued.  In a storyline, Barnabas returns to present day parallel time and discovers her there, alone, frightened, confused and hunted.  The survivors from PT1970 have also seen her and think she's their evil, wicked Angelique.  She tells Barnabas that after her 1841 demise, when she is in the netherworld, a more angelic force informs her that because of her sacrifice, she is to be given another chance if she promises never to use her witchcraft again.  Since she is a totally converted, altruistic person, she readily agrees and then finds herself thrust into present day PT.  Meanwhile, things ain't rosey with the PT survivors.  Quentin and Maggie are living in the Loomis House and their marriage is on the rocks.  Each accuses the other of trying to gaslight them, and the appearance of Angelique doesn't help things (until Barnabas convinces them that she is not their Angelique).  And then Nicholas Blair, that wiley, devilish guy, has managed to travel to PT to work his wiles, discovering the experiments of the deceased Timothy Stokes and wants to start them up again.  To complicate things, Roxanne is also still alive, having pined for those years for Barnabas, thinking he's come for her, and when she discovers that Barnabas only has his heart for Angelique, she ain't none too pleased and will do all she can to win him back.  (And Days of Our Lives thinks it can come up with complicated, intertwined plot lines.)  Well, to make a long story short (and when has DS ever made a long story short?), it's discovered that it's Quentin's son, Daniel, who's been up to mischief, gaslighting his father and step-mother because of his rage over what happened to his birth mother, sending him over the edge.  As a matter of fact, it's Amy Jennings (Denise Nickerson, in my synopsis, has returned to DS) who discovers it and the psychotic Daniel almost does her in.  All ends up pretty much resolved.  Quentin and Maggie reconcile and send Daniel to the hoo-hoo house (PT Wyndcliffe), Nicholas is defeated, and Barnabas and Angelique return to their own time for continuing adventures.  The only one left holding the bag is Roxanne, still pining, still trying to discover a way to win over Barnabas and maybe even somehow cross over to his time.  Will she?

I hope that settles what happened to Angelique.  If only the series had continued and they had hired me as a writer.

Gerard

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 05:48:45 AM »
Thanks BuzzH and Ian!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Ack Angelique! Maybe she wasn't thinking too clearly at the time. I believe she "cursed" Barnabas while lying on the floor with a bullet wound in her shoulder, compliments of Barnabas. I think she felt she would die so wouldn't have to worry about being a victim of her own curse but - it's interesting that after she lived, she was in a mojo hurry to get rid of him, maybe thinking that she might become a victim, after all. I guess it's up to debate whether Angelique "loved" Barnabas at all. I don't consider that she did, at the time anyway.