Author Topic: DS Inspires Art  (Read 826 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS Inspires Art
« on: January 31, 2006, 02:14:41 AM »
Apparently internationally known artist Gladys Nilsson's work has been inspired, at least in part, by DS. Who knew?  ;)

For younger audiences Nilsson might better be known as the artist who did the drawing found on the inside of the CD cover for Wilco's release "A Ghost Is Born" and for her interview that is included in The Wilco Book.

In the interview Nilsson talks about where her ideas for her figures came from: "My 'figures' just evolved over time from what I was interested in at the time. Some sort of animal/human, bird/human, plant life/human involvement. I really don't know where or what sources they/it sprang from, but the idea of changing, or nowadays, morphing, has always intrigued me.

"This runs rampant in the history of art and it is a given that any one of the many images I have/had seen over the years does/did indeed creep/crept into my personal iconography. Hmm, I would suppose that a few urban/peasant stories fed into the mix, the werewolf, vampires. Those were all films I loved growing up, and were reinforced by the '60s soap opera 'Dark Shadows,' which I watched and really loved! I do what I see."

To read the entire article, check out: 'Whimsical' Watercolors

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
Re: DS Inspires Art
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:55:07 AM »
The example shown with the article looks more Dali-esque than DS-esque (is this a word? :) )
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO