Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115969 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #495 on: November 23, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1134_1135 (1840) - Angerie - 'Valerie, Barnabas. You MUST remember to call me Valerie. I don't want an embarrassing scene from the rest of the family.'

From "#1133/1134_1135: Robservations 10/21/03: Valerie Threatens Roxanne"
You can't do this to Roxanne, insists Barnabas--she has done nothing to you.  I said she would die from YOUR attack! says Valerie, not from anything I will do.  Angelique, please! he begs.  Valerie, Barnabas, she corrects--you must remember to call me Valerie--I don't want the embarrassment of being seen by the rest of the family.  She closes the double doors--what is your decision?  Listen to reason, pleads Barnabas.  I want what I know I want, she says.  Let me at least see her and talk to her, says Barn.  I've known you a long time, she reminds him, you double crossed me more than once, betrayed me.  I guarantee that I will not betray you this time, he says.  Perhaps not, she agrees, picking up and looking at a feather pen, at any rate, to avoid unpleasantness, I think you should write your dear Roxanne a letter--don't go and see her--she throws the pen on the desk.
[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, the quote was misheard when the Robservations was being written...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 24, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #255 (1967) - Barnabas - 'And you MUST be Josette in every detail.'

From "#0255/0256: Robservations 11/21/01: Sarah and Maggie"
When Willie brings Maggie upstairs, Barnabas orders Willie to leave them alone. She's thrilled to be out of the cell and begs the vampire to let her stay. He's annoyed--Josette was above petty begging, and she must be like Josette in every detail, and sincere. They admire the fresh flowers. She wants to see even a blade of grass so much, to be free and accept her destiny! At Barnabas' request, she opens the music box, and although you sense she despises that tune, listens to it as if it's angels themselves singing to her. Listen to it, he says, be happy, be mine, look in my eyes, be my bride. . .
Maggie seems eager to be what he wants, but once he kisses her hand, she draws it away from his icy lips. This angers him. When will she forsake that common creature, Maggie Evans? Hearing her true self thus insulted, Maggie slams the music box closed and says, through gritted teeth, "NEVER!" She's Maggie Evans, that's all there is to it, so he might as well just kill her. Barnabas is just about to give her what she wants when Willie bursts in
[/spoiler]

While not a direct quote, the Robservations references the quote well...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 25, 2020, 02:51:52 AM »
I think I missed the shot of Barnabas and Maggie from the creepy 1967 Maggette storyline. Whenever I see shots from that one, I find myself wondering just who did Maggie's hair up like that. One of those mysteries to which we'll never know the answer... perhaps Barnabas bribed the unknown stylist who came to Collnwood each week to work on Mrs. Stoddard's hair to come to the Old House and do a "classic French lady of quality" job on Maggie's do. It would make a good fanfic tale.

Wonderful photo of Laura today!

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 25, 2020, 04:10:00 PM »
I forgot to mention Monday (back in Reply #495) that even though it's the scene that ends Ep #1133 (though restaged in Ep #1134_1135 as the (teaser) scene previous to the one that contains Saturday's quote), I have to mention how thrilling it was to see it on The Best of Barnabas compilation tape back when it came out in 1990. A classic Angelique/Barnabas confrontation scene that Lara Parker and Jonathan Frid play to perfection. And it was made even more thrilling to see by the fact that at that point it hadn't been seen in 20 years since it originally aired because the final year of DS hadn't been released into syndication. In fact, in 1990 we had no idea if we would ever see the final year of DS eps...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 25, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
I think I missed the shot of Barnabas and Maggie from the creepy 1967 Maggette storyline.

Here it is:

Whenever I see shots from that one, I find myself wondering just who did Maggie's hair up like that. One of those mysteries to which we'll never know the answer... perhaps Barnabas bribed the unknown stylist who came to Collnwood each week to work on Mrs. Stoddard's hair to come to the Old House and do a "classic French lady of quality" job on Maggie's do. It would make a good fanfic tale.

I've often suspected that perhaps Willie, though rough around the edges when he first arrived in Collinsport, had worked in a hair salon that Jason once ran as a scam to exploit rich matrons.  [hall2_wink]  Little did Barnabas know how much Willie's talents would come in handy!  [hall2_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 25, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
MB, that's a riot!  I wish we could have had at least one episode of Willie as the hairdresser. They could have intercut footage of Mrs. Stoddard running the vacuum cleaner at Collnwood while in full evening dress drag.

Needless to say, I adore today's shot of Colin Hamilton with Thayer David! As you know, I'm quite a fan of Tim Stokes, mad scientist.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 25, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #600 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'No, you MUST tell us who lives in that house.'

From "Robservations 8/12/02 #600/601 - A Chilling Summons"
Stokes puts out candles as Julia and Barnabas watch. A table and three chairs has been set up. Stokes holds Julia's chair while she sits down. They touch fingertips and Stokes tells them to concentrate. He calls to Philippe Cordier, asking for a sign, calling to him to "Make your presence known!" We need your help as you need ours. The candle on the table blows out. Barnabas goes into a trance, which concerns Julia. Stokes tells her to leave him alone. Barnabas begins to speak in French; Stokes asks for English. I am Philippe Cordier, says the ghost, speaking through Barnabas. Stokes asks about Danielle Roget. "Danielle, mon amour," moans the spirit. Stokes asks if he was in love with her and he says, in French--accented English, "I AM in love with her, she is mine and has been taken away." Another man has taken her, I don't know his name, but he stole her spirit away. I am very lonely without her, and have come back to find her. Stokes asks if her spirit was in this room tonight, and Philippe says oui, but it's not here now. Where has it gone? asks Stokes. To another house, a house by the sea, replies Cordier. "Nicholas Blair's house!" bursts out Julia. "Danielle, I am coming for you, we will be together again," cries Philippe. Stokes begs him to reveal who lives in that house. "Wait for me, I will come for you. And when I find you, I will do what I have to do. Danielle, I will revenge your honor--I will kill the man who says he loves you."
"Adam!" cries Julia. "He will die this night for what he has done for us--attendez! Attendez, mon amour, je viens, je viens! Danielle, c'est moi, Philippe. Je viens, mon amour!" Barnabas collapses on the table. Stokes says the spirit is gone, there is no chance to learn more--Julia should have kept silent, they were making remarkable progress. Julia is only interested in helping Barnabas sit up, making sure he's all right, checking his pulse. Julia heard all she needed to, she says, patting Barnabas awake.
[/spoiler]

Again, while not a direct quote, the Robservations references the quote well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 26, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Love today's shot. That might be my favorite of all the seances--Frid talks French, supported by Grayson and Thayer. I might have to get that episode out again over the holiday...

And here's the screen capture:

Sadly, Julia wasn't completely in the shot when Stokes delivered the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 26, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #736 (1897) - Laura - 'O hear me, Master, bearer of warmth and fire, giver of light and destroyer, hear me. Grant me through your flame the energy and the sustenance that I MUST have.'

From "Robservations 11/21/02 - #736-737 - How Will Dirk "Warm" Laura?"
At the gazebo, Laura drops her snake bracelet on the ground when she goes to a pedestal with a weather vane contraption on it.  She opens it and takes out her urn.  When Nora calls to her, she hastily shoves it behind her back.  Why didn't you come and say good night to me? asks the little girl.  I was going to, Laura assures her--I came out here alone to look for something I hid here a long time ago.  Is that what you have behind your back? asks Nora eagerly--"Can I see it?" Yes, says Laura, but it will mean nothing to you.  She shows Nora the urn.  The little girl is disappointed--oh, it's just an urn.  Yes, agrees Laura.  Why did you hide it? asks Nora.  It's a secret, says Laura.  I like secrets, says Nora.  Go home to bed, says Laura--I'll come and tell you a wonderful story about the urn.  Nora wants her mother to come back to the house with her.
I want to stay here a while, says Laura--I can't explain why, but it's necessary and I will see you later.  Nora promises to wait for her.  After the child leaves, Laura lifts up the urn and calls to her master--hear me, bearer of warmth and fire, giver of life and destroyer, and grant through your flame the energy and sustenance I must have.
[/spoiler]

And once again, while not a direct quote, the Robservations references the quote well...

One thing I do wonder about the quote and figure someone here must know the answer: When it comes to "bearer of warmth and fire, giver of light and destroyer," should that actually capitalized as "Bearer of Warmth and Fire, Giver of Light and Destroyer"? I know that if those are titles, then they should be capitalized - but if they're simply descriptors, they wouldn't be capitalized...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
Wonderful photo of Laura today!

And here it is for those who may have missed it:

Love the look in her eyes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1057 (1970PT) - Timothy Stokes - 'I want to cooperate, Inspector, but I MUST refuse to participate in such obvious idiocies.'

From "#1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue"
Hamilton arrives; Stokes invites him in--I've been expecting you. Hamilton apologizes for bothering him this time of night. I understand you're going to accuse me killing Claude North, says Stokes. I merely want to ask a few  questions, says Hamilton. I think you'd do better protecting people against the insane accusations of a madman like Barnabas Collins, here, says Stokes, and drinks some more. Perhaps, says Hamilton, that's why I'm here--Mr. Collins, I have your story, now I want to speak to Mr. Stokes alone, if you don't mind. Of course, agrees Barnabas--if we can find the girl, she'll be able to give us the answers we need. And with a disdainful glance at Stokes, Barnabas departs through the hanging bead door. Are you aware, Mr. Stokes, of what Barnabas told me was your role in the incidents happening at Collinwood?  Maniacal ravings, says Stokes, surely you don't take them seriously? Whether I do or not is beside the point, says Hamilton--I'm merely investigating a series of deaths. Did Barnabas tell you about the "life force" of the girl I kept in my storeroom back there? He mentioned it, says Hamilton. Stokes takes him into the room, which is now choked with furniture. Is this the room he told you about? queries Stokes, where I supposedly conducted all manner of mad experiments, transferring the life force of that girl into my daughter?  I suppose this is the room, says Hamilton. I want to cooperate, says Stokes, but I must refuse to participate in such obvious idiocies. I have to admit, says Hamilton, your daughter died in a very strange manner. She had a heart condition, says Stokes, we were always afraid something like this might happen. If that's the case, says Hamilton, it will show up in the autopsy. AUTOPSY? repeats Stokes, now very upset.
[/spoiler]

And yet again, while not a direct quote, the Robservations references the quote well. Once again we're getting spoiled. How long will it last this time?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 27, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »
I wish we could have had at least one episode of Willie as the hairdresser.

If only!  [hall2_wink]

They could have intercut footage of Mrs. Stoddard running the vacuum cleaner at Collnwood while in full evening dress drag.

That would have been a hoot and a half to see!!  [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 28, 2020, 04:36:02 PM »
Needless to say, I adore today's shot of Colin Hamilton with Thayer David! As you know, I'm quite a fan of Tim Stokes, mad scientist.

I suspect most Thayer David fans are also fans of Tim Stokes. Thayer was excellent when it came to all his characters. But one thing that sets Tim Stokes apart is that he was just so seedy (perhaps even the seediest DS ever had) - and that was due in no small part to the way Thayer portrayed him (and I'm not quite sure what exactly it was about them, but the mustache and the pinky ring definitely helped  [hall2_wink]).

And here's the screen capture for anyone who might have missed it:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 28, 2020, 08:08:35 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #212 (1967) - Liz - 'Now you MUST promise to come whenever you like. You're not a stranger, you know-- you're a member of the family.'

From "#0212/0213: Robservations 10/19/01: Barnabas Uses His Charms"
Drawing room - You must promise to come whenever you like, Liz tells Barnabas, you're not a stranger, you know, you're a member of the family. Vicki enters, sees the stranger and apologizes--she didn't know Liz was busy.
[/spoiler]

And still while not a direct quote, the Robservations references the quote nearly word for word. We're really getting spoiled. But no doubt it won't last...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 28, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »
Love today's shot of Evan. So slinky and malefic. I bet that was a Violet Welles script. She actually seems to have bothered to do occult research, unlike the other writers.

G.