Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116583 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #420 on: October 16, 2020, 03:54:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1114 (1840) - Lamar - 'But it is my livelihood, and it MUST NOT be treated frivolously.'

From "#1113/1114: Robservations 09/19/03: Barnabas to the Rescue!"
On the terrace, by the fountain, Lamar complains, Roxanne, you don't think too highly of my profession, do you?  Did I offend you? she asks, I'm so sorry--(sarcastically) just that the thought of making one's living from the death doesn't fascinate me.  Death is a fact of life, my dear, he says, and it must be dealt with tastefully, and with reverence--the Trask Chapel is an institution in Collinsport.  Would you mind if we don't discuss the Trask Chapel this evening? she requests.  But it is my livelihood, he reminds her, and it must not be treated frivolously--but, he smiles, we are not here to discuss my profession--the fact is, there is very little time left before your father returns--I think I'm entitled to an answer from you.  You mean you think you're entitled to the answer you and father have already decided upon, she says bitchily--well, you're not, Lamar, my answer is still no--you're not the man for me!  Insulted, he asks, might I assume there is someone else?  You may assume NOTHING! she says--but someday, I will meet a man--a stranger, his goodness and gentleness will overwhelm me--and I'll be amazed by an air of mystery that surrounds him--and he will be courtly and charming--and he will love me as I want to be loved--I've always dreamed of such a man, and I know that we're destined to meet.  At the gate, Barnabas watches and listens as Roxanne goes on about her perfect man. He smiles..
[/spoiler]

And another Robservations in which the quote is word for word...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 16, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #993 (1970PT) - Cyrus - 'Now also, you MUST take safeguards against any impurities or unbalances within the synthesis-- I mean, I have indicated how important and delicate this chemical is!'

From "#0992/0993: Robservations 06/23/03: Has Angelique Returned?"
Gladstone says, I checked the compound and found a minor impurity, but I can't believe it could cause anything as extreme as amnesia--I know so little of your work, perhaps you could tell me MORE (and he sounds suddenly fanatic). You DID find an impurity! Says Cyrus--even something infinitesimal could be enough!--the chemical balance is extremely delicate. If only I could know how you're using this synthesis, says Gladstone, looking loony again.
I don't discuss my work with anybody, insists Cyrus. On whom--or what--were you performing the experiment? asks Gladstone--how did you measure its effects?  I can't discuss this with anybody, repeats Cyrus--please leave immediately. He opens the door and adds, take safeguards against impurity in the synthesis--you must--I indicated how important and delicate this chemical is! Yes, says Gladstone, beaten, you indicated that much--good night, I'll see you very soon; meanwhile, you have the best of my good wishes. Cyrus locks the door after him.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations reworks the quote, switching some words around and leaving others out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 17, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
Nice to see Horace Gladstone appear in yesterday's slideshow, though the shot (presumably the best available for the line) wasn't a terribly clear portrait of him.

No it wasn't:

But believe it or not, it was almost worst because the first capture I took was very close to this -

- in which he was even more in the shadows. I wasn't paying attention to him since I was more concerned with getting Cyrus, but I didn't want him to be so in shadow unless I had to, so what I did was play the sequence in slow motion and I was lucky enough to come across the moment that I used for the slideshow. It was the best it was going to get. But so far as Gladstone goes, at least he had a great capture back on July 9th when -

Ep #1005 (1970PT) - Gladstone - 'If you're Dr. Longworth's
assistant, you surely MUST know how important my compound
is to his experiment.'

- he was the featured quote.

All that being said, though, I do love how that part of the scene in Cyrus' lab is shot. The shadows definitely give it a perfect atmosphere. Plus, the whole point is that Cyrus wants Gladstone kept in the dark about what he's doing with the compound Gladstone is providing, and there is Gladstone literally mostly in the dark...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 17, 2020, 10:54:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #880 (1897) - Beth's Ghost - 'Quentin. Where is Quentin? Quentin. I MUST find him.'

From "Robservations 4/7/03 - #880-881 - Plenty 'o' Deaths; Petofi Tries--Again"
He hears the door squeak.  The ghost of Beth appears.  "No, you're dead!" he gasps, terrified. "Quentin!" calls Beth. "Where is Quentin? Quentin, I must find you!" Yes, calls Trask--find Quentin, tell him I'm here, tell him...to come to this room, you can make him come, please! Beth fades away. Trask presses against the solid brick wall, freaking out with fear.
[/spoiler]

Unlike what the Robservations indicates, Beth's Ghost's doesn't address Quentin directly while then saying "I must find you." What she does do is call out to Quentin a second time and then say "I must find him."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
And I'd forgotten about Beth's spirit appearing to "dear Gregory" at a crucial moment in 1897...

Yes, that is a great -

- sequence. (Ep #880 is really a great ep all around - especially when Judith calls to taunt Gregory - Joan Bennett plays it to perfection, with her voice all sincerity and concern that Gregory be sure to take the time she's afforded him to enjoy his "retreat" and to be sure he takes advantage of the time he has to meditate "under ideal circumstances."  [lghy])

Wonderful series, Midnite and MB!

We're loving doing it. A slight though sometimes maddening drawback is that occasionally Robservations indicates a "MUST" quote where there is none. But we mostly manage to find something with the character we had in mind. And it's especially satisfying whenever we find something that isn't even indicated by the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #475 (1968) - Dr. Lang - 'No! No! No one else MUST know!'

From "#0475/0476: Robservations 05/09/02: Give Me Jeff Clark's Face!"
Barn asks about this permanent cure. Do it now, tonight, begs Barnabas, but Eric says the experiment isn't ready. Stop tormenting me and at least tell me about it, pleads Barn--don't give me hope then take it away--I'm afraid, she'll do anything. Eric swears he'll do anything to save him, but he can't yet. He can't risk failure. What about money, help? asks Barnabas eagerly. No, no one else must know, insists Eric, but agrees he must tell Barnabas of the risks and decisions involved in this plan. Barnabas fears Angelique turning him back into a vampire.
Eric says he's going to do something no one else has ever done before, an effort at which all other doctors have failed--if I do fail, warns Lang, you will be a hollow shell, unable to rise or walk. But if you succeed? asks Barnabas. You will still leave your body, explains Lang, but will live--the witch will think you've escaped your body by death, when in reality you will have escaped by living.
[/spoiler]

The Roberservations gets the quote pretty much word for word, only dropping an initial "No!" Though it does leave out details when it comes to other parts of the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 19, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #200 (1967) - Jason - 'Well, Elizabeth, you MUST decide.'

From "#0200/0201: Robservations 10/11/01: Willie and James Dean, Separated at Birth?"
Jason pours himself a drink at Collinwood and once again surveys the drawing room with a proprietary air. He lies on the sofa, feet up. Roger comes in and glares at him. Jason asks Roger to join him in a nightcap. No, says Roger, I've come down for a book. Trouble sleeping, eh? Asks Jason. No, I simply enjoy reading at night, says Roger. Jason says he favors the taste of good brandy, a warm fire--ah, the comforts of home! So I see, says Roger sarcastically. Traveling on the seas really makes a man appreciate a house like Collinwood, says Jason. Doesn't Collinwood, in turn, make you miss your travel? Asks Roger. Not in the least, Jason assures him. Then you won't be resuming them shortly? Asks Roger. Can't say for sure, says Jason. Perhaps you will allow me to say you're resuming them soon, says Roger, I suggest you leave first thing in the morning! Jason says he doesn't expect it to be that soon. If you will pardon my bluntness, says Roger, I'm ASKING you to leave in the morning. All right, says Jason, I will. You'll leave? asks Roger. No, I'll pardon your bluntness, says Jason evenly. My sister might allow you to impose on her, says Roger, but I will not--I find your presence here a terrible imposition. Then maybe we should try to keep out of each other's way, suggests Jason. Furious, Roger tells him he has no intention of keeping out of anybody's way--now look here, McGuire. "MR. McGuire!" corrects Jason, no longer acting affable. You are a guest in this house, begins Roger. Treat me like one! Jason says. Perhaps if you acted like one, instead of acting like you own the place, says Roger. Jason springs from the sofa and tells Roger he doesn't own the place, Elizabeth does, and Roger is absolutely right, he's only a guest in this house, Elizabeth's guest, and he wonders how often he's going to have to remind Roger of that. How often do I have to remind you you're not welcome at Collinwood? demands Roger. Liz enters, asking what's going on. Your brother has just been reminding me I'm not welcome at Collinwood, tattles Jason. Is that true? Roger tells Liz he's been reminding him that, welcome or not, he's a guest in this house, and the least he could do is act accordingly. Perhaps I misinterpreted your invitation to feel at home? Jason asks Liz pointedly. Yes, you certainly have, says Roger. That's enough! commands Liz, her face twisted with anger. Jason apologizes, saying the last thing he wants to do it bring dissension to Collinwood. I doubt that! says Roger. Liz orders him to stop it. Roger says it's time to have it out--he's been telling her this in private and now he's telling her in front of Mr. McGuire. This isn't the time, says Liz. It's past time! insists Roger--he's taking a terrible advantage of you, and I want him to leave! Advantage? questions Jason, well of course I am, taking advantage of this woman's warm, extraordinary hospitality, why shouldn't I, when it's so freely offered. He's mocking you, barks Roger, can't you tell it in his voice? Mocking? Asks Jason, pouring himself another drink. Please, begs Liz of Jason, it's very late. No, says Jason, I think your brother's right, it's time we had this out. Roger comes over and orders Liz to tell him to leave tomorrow. Jason says yes, tell me to leave tomorrow, and I will, for that matter, tell me to leave tonight--you only need say the word. Say it, Liz, say it! says Roger. Stop it, she orders her brother, and Jason says yes, says it, Liz, I'm sure it won't reflect on our long, long friendship, and it certainly won't have any effect on the deep, deep understanding we've always shared. He gives her a significant look. The memories of other days, of your husband, Jason reminds her. Roger says she wants to forget completely about her husband, says Roger. Don't be so sure, says Jason, adding there are some memories he can't possibly LET her forget--so just say the word, the decision is yours, tell me to leave and I will-- immediately. "Liz, please!" begs Roger. Well, Liz, you must decide, says Jason, may I stay?
[/spoiler]

And it's yet another quote that Robservations gets word for word. But then the dialogue in this scene is so good that you wouldn't want to sacrifice any of it. In particular, I absolutely love this exchange from above:
If you will pardon my bluntness, says Roger, I'm ASKING you to leave in the morning. All right, says Jason, I will. You'll leave? asks Roger. No, I'll pardon your bluntness, says Jason evenly.
Jason and Roger share some great scenes together, and as I've said before, the way Dennis Patrick and Louis Edmonds play them is priceless.

Also, this is the second quote that's been used in the slideshow from this ep. The first (Liz - 'You MUST forgive Roger. He's quite puzzled by it all.') was back on September 3rd....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 19, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
Lovely to see a shot of Keith Prentice and Grayson on today's entry. I know most fans do not like 1841 PT (to severely understate), but the last time I viewed it--which was far too many years ago--I found plenty to enjoy.  James' caustic exchanges with Julia are some of the parts that made me smile.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 20, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #54 (1966) - Burke - 'He MUST have had a terrible worry on his mind.'

From "#0053/0054: Robservations 06/25/01: Collinsport, Patterson's Town"
I'm going to ask you the same questions I asked Sam Evans, Burke tells Roger--and I hope you have the same answers. I had nothing to do with Evans, insists Roger. That won't do, says Burke, you and Evans were thick as thieves! I don't know what you're talking about, says Roger. You set me up on that manslaughter charge, accuses Burke, and you know it! I know nothing of the kind, says Roger. And if Bill Malloy hadn't conveniently disappeared he would have proved it, says Burke. You not only jump to conclusions, you leap over them! says Roger--number one, Malloy hasn't disappeared, he has simply not appeared. I don't care what words you use, says Burke--the fact is, he's not here, he's no where to be found. Maybe he doesn't want to be found, suggests Roger. Oh, you think he's hiding someplace, says Burke--why would he want to do that?--why would he set up this meeting between you, me and Sam Evans? I can't answer that, says Roger, but I do know he was drinking that day. I'm aware of that, says Burke--he must have had a terrible worry on his mind--to make him do a thing like that--he must have been faced with a tremendous decision--the same way Sam Evans was. I told you again and again I don't know anything about Sam Evans! shouts Roger. But Sam Evans knows something about you, says Burke. That's absurd, says Roger. And Bill Malloy knows what that something is! insists Burke. I won't be badgered and bullied, says Roger. Yes you will, says Burke, because Malloy made me a proposition
--he wanted me to leave your sister and Carolyn alone, stop delving into the past. In return for what? asks Roger--what could he possibly offer you? He offered me you, says Burke--YOU on a silver platter!"
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations with a word for word version of the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 21, 2020, 02:24:21 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1223 (1841PT) - Jamorg - My mind is functioning quite well. But I MUST admit one thing, my body is tired.'

From "#1222/1223: Robservations 12/24/03: Morgan is Possessed"
Did something happen to you up in that room, asks Catherine fearfully.  I presume the Morgan you keep referring to is a Collins, he says.  She gazes at him, stunned.  Yes, of course, he would have to be, says Morgan--how unfortunate--but a man in my position can hardly be selective.  Morgan, please! begs Catherine.  He again demands she stop calling him Morgan.  Terrified, Catherine opens the double doors and calls for Julia.  He asks if Julia is the mistress of the present family.  Present family? Asks Catherine.  I see you're confused, he remarks--well, the less you know, the better off you'll be.  Less I know about what? asks Catherine.  Julia enters, asking what's wrong, Melanie right behind her.
Something did happen to him up in that room, reports Catherine to the two women, but he won't tell me what it was.  Morgan wanders the room, looking around.  Morgan? asks Julia.  Catherine tells Julia and Melanie that he keeps saying that isn't his name.  Poor Morgan, says Melanie, suggesting that he now has the madness.  Madness, did you say? he asks--if you're referring to me, you're wrong!--oh, yes, there is madness in this house, but not from me, and it has been going on for years--do you understand that?  Yes, says Melanie, I'm sorry.  Julia tells him to leave Melanie alone.  He repeats the latter's name, remarking that it's pretty--too bad it has to belong to a Collins--you are a Collins, aren't you?  You know I am, says Melanie.  I know nothing of the sort, he says, and frankly, care even less--I want nothing to do with any of you--if you don't mind, I'd like to be left alone to do what I must do.  And what might that be? queries Julia.  I don't believe that's any of your business, he says.  You're quite certain you're not Morgan Collins? asks Julia.  Quite certain, he says, arms crossed over his chest.  Then who are you? she asks, but he says he doesn't believe he has to tell her that.  Are you aware you just spent the night in a locked room in the West Wing? She asks.  Yes, he says, staring at a portrait of a Collins ancestor, my mind is functioning quite well, but I must admit one thing my body is tired.  Do you know anything about the curse and the connection with that room? she asks.  Nothing, he says.  You're lying, she accuses.  Very well, he says, I'm lying, if that will make you happy--now if you don't mind, I'm very tired and would like to rest."
[/spoiler]

And another Robservations with a word for word version of the quote. (We're getting spoiled by all these word for word quotes in a row.  [hall2_wink])

And given the excerpt above, it may be unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt to point out that Jamorg = Morgan possessed by James Forsythe...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 21, 2020, 03:08:10 PM »
Lovely to see a shot of Keith Prentice and Grayson on today's entry.

And here it is for those who may have missed it:

I know most fans do not like 1841 PT (to severely understate), but the last time I viewed it--which was far too many years ago--I found plenty to enjoy.

It's definitely true that many DS aficionados aren't necessarily fans of 1841PT. In fact, back in the late-'90s when AOL's DS Online had Internet fans vote in various categories, 1841PT came out as one of the three least favorite storylines. Though like you, I find plenty to enjoy.

James' caustic exchanges with Julia are some of the parts that made me smile.

Indeed...

(And as an aside, given his portrait hangs in the drawing room in PT, I wonder what, if anything, Isaac Collins' claim to fame is in PT. In RT we know he founded Collinsport in the 17th century. That could still work in PT. In fact, given that it already exists in 1680 in PT, he could have even been the one who built Collinwood. Though I suppose we'll never know...)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 21, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »
If I remember aright, today's photo is from a scene in which Carolyn was possessed by Magda at a seance. Which was Magda's pre-debut moment in the show--a preview of coming attractions. And fittingly perhaps, though I'm sure nobody was aware of the circular movement of events, the last time Magda's voice was heard on DS was while Julia was standing in the drawing room in 1969. One of my favorite scenes--a Grayson in stereo moment.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 22, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #889 (1969) - Sabrina - 'Alone. I MUST speak to you alone.'

From "Robservations 4/11/03 - #888-889 - The Todds, the Box, the Mysterious Stranger"
Rest home - Carolyn tells Eliot, I couldn't refuse your request to visit Sabrina, given the circumstances--you have no idea why she spoke my name?  No, says Eliot, I was hoping I'd find out. He introduces Carolyn to Sabrina.  Carolyn smiles at the other woman, greeting her cordially. Alone! demands Sabrina, I must speak to Carolyn alone. It's most important that I hear what you want to tell Carolyn, says Stokes.  Sabrina is insistent--alone! ALONE! Carolyn says I don't mind, if it's OK with you.  He agrees to leave the room and goes out into the hall.  Sabrina smiles crookedly at Carolyn, who sits down. Sabrina asks, are you really Carolyn? Yes, answers the blond.  Ned, my brother, told me about you, says Sabrina--and you are in danger! What kind of danger? asks Carolyn. "Even though he loves you," says Sabrina, leaning forward in her wheelchair, "he will try to kill you!"  Who? demands Carolyn.
Chris Jennings, says the other woman urgently.
[/spoiler]

Well, we knew the word for word quotes wouldn't last in Robservations. Even though in the actual ep/quote Sabrina speaks to Carolyn directly, the Robservations makes it appear otherwise.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 23, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #642 (1968) - Carolyn(possessed during a seance) - 'He MUST NOT come back!'

From "Robservations 9/11/2 - #641/642 - Insane Love/Who is Magda?"
If there is a spirit, says Stokes, tell us who you are and why you came here. Liz felt someone turning her head, eyes staring at her, a hand. . .Stokes asks if she wants to end the seance. No, says Liz, she's gone--it was definitely a woman's hand. She tells Stokes to go on. He starts again, asking whoever is in the room to tell them what it wants, they will help it find rest. Speak to us!
It's Carolyn who goes into a trance. Chris is concerned, Stokes reassures him. Carolyn says, "I heard the widows wailing. You must. . .you must. . .stop him!" Who? asks Stokes. "He must not come back!" cries Carolyn. Stokes asks if it's Jeff. "No," intones Carolyn, but she can't seem to say who.
[/spoiler]

So many "MUST"s - can use only one quote. Though if Stokes hadn't broken up things with his questions, there could have been a quintuple "MUST" quote...

But as it is, we're back to a word for word quote...

Also, this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'You MUST wait for word from him. He's trying to reach you, Vicki. He's trying. You believe that.') was back on August 31st.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 23, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
today's photo is from a scene in which Carolyn was possessed by Magda at a seance.

Magda was indeed the one who spoke through Carolyn at the seance. And here's the capture for anyone who might have missed it:

NB did a wonderful job, as she always does. But wouldn't it have been interesting if Julia had taken part in the seance rather than Carolyn and Magda had spoken through her. Though if that had been the case, the Chris angle certainly wouldn't have played the same way, which would have been a definite loss...

Which was Magda's pre-debut moment in the show--a preview of coming attractions. And fittingly perhaps, though I'm sure nobody was aware of the circular movement of events, the last time Magda's voice was heard on DS was while Julia was standing in the drawing room in 1969. One of my favorite scenes--a Grayson in stereo moment.

Yes, it's quite circular when one thinks that Magda was both the first and last 1897 character to be heard from. And I've always thought it was interesting that Julia could still hear conversations from 1897. The I Ching made some fascinating connections...