Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115860 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1004 (1970PT) - Hannah - 'I will do this thing because I MUST!'

From "#1004/1005: Robservations 07/01/03:"
Angelique! protests Hannah.  Don't call me that, warns Angelique, even when we're alone--my name is Alexis.  Hannah looks away. Burn or bury the body, orders Angelique--if you don't, you, too, will feel the terrible cold of the grave--your choice. Suppose someone saw me bringing him here? asks Hannah, terrified. Then you'll tell them he has left, says Angelique coldly--he was a loner, a drifter, anyone who knew him will simply think he's gone on his way. Will they? Hannah asks.  If you answer their questions correctly, yes, says Ang impatiently--"I never knew you were such a coward!"  She turns to go. Don't leave me with him, begs Hannah. But I have to go! insists Angelique.
Don't you ever come to me again, commands Hannah; I will do this thing because I must!--but you will need warmth again--I want no part of it. My dear Aunt Hannah, taunts Angelique, picking up a crystal ball, you were always so fascinated with communicating with the dead, through the Tarot, seances, crystal balls--and yet now you have me, and suddenly all your curiosity has turned to terror--have you learned that the dead are not to be trifled with?--I hope so.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:36 AM »
Aunt Hannah! Perfect for a gloomy Sunday afternoon in Collinsport.

Angelexis was so totally psycho. Fun times!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
Sunday was definitely perfect Collinsport weather in MA - and today is just as bad (good? [snow_wink])!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2020, 04:44:46 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #926 (1970) - Philip - 'You MUST not be protective about Michael now!'

From "Robservations 5/6/03 - 926-927 - Michael Must Die!"
Philip arrives at Collinwood, looking for Michael.  I thought he returned to the antique shop, says David. Has he come back here since then? asks Philip.  Not that I know of, says David. Philip ushers David into the drawing room--I want us to have a talk--first, has Maggie been found? No, says David.  Philip grabs him, sits down on the sofa and holds David's arms.  You must not be protective of Michael now, warns Philip--I don't care what he says to threaten or intimidate you
[/spoiler]

When it comes to David Henesy it's interesting that he appears in three of the slideshow's screen caps so far* this month (tying Jonathan Frid), yet none of the quotes come from his characters...

(* I say "so far" because I haven't picked out the quotes for the 29th and 30th and David features prominently in both of the storylines I'll be selecting from...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1201 (1841PT) - Morgan - 'You MUST not ask any more questions.'

From "#1201/1202: Robservations 12/10/03: Impassioned Lovers"
Sit down, says Morgan--I must warn you.  About what? she asks.  You will feel impelled to ask questions, and I must ask you to refrain from doing so, at least until tomorrow, he says.  I'll do whatever you ask me to do, she says.  As the oldest son, I've inherited certain responsibilities, he says, one of these is most serious, and must be carried out this evening--I want you to promise that if anything happens to me...  Happens to you?--what? she asks, concerned.  I didn't mean to put it that way, he says, what I'm trying to say is, if I act any different tomorrow, you must not marry me.
She regards him with shock.

Not marry you? she asks--why should you be any different tomorrow than you are tonight?  You promised not to ask any questions, he reminds her.  Are you in some sort of trouble? she asks.  Of course not, he says.  But you're so distressed--I want to help you, she says.  There's nothing you can do to help, he says, if there were, you know I'd let you know.  But you can't keep me in the dark like this, it's not fair! she protests.  Catherine! he says, you must not ask anymore questions.  You're going to tell me what's wrong before I leave here tonight, she insists.  You're a very strong-willed young woman, he says, very well--he sits her down--you're going to know sooner or later, I might as well tell you now.
[/spoiler]

Apparently PT was 130 years ahead of RT: Morgan's helmet hairdo was already in style in 1841PT!!  [b003]

And as you've no doubt noticed, Robservations was grammatically incorrect when using "anymore" rather than "any more." The two are not interchangeable. When spelled as one word, "anymore" is an adverb that refers to time. It means "still," or "any longer," whereas when spelled as two words, "any more" refers to quantities, and the latter is clearly what Morgan meant. And so ends today's grammar lesson...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #174 (1967) - Joe - 'That MUST be kind of rough on ya.'

From "#0174/0175: Robservations 09/21/01: The Missing Body; Peter vs. Laura"
Joe comes to Collinwood, bearing papers from the cannery. Carolyn tells him Frank and Dr. Guthrie have gone for a walk around the grounds, but should be back very soon. I guess I can find them, says Joe. I don't think so, she says--you might be walking in opposite direction and never even know it. Did they say where they were going? queries Joe. No, she says, but you can wait for them here. I'd leave the papers here for him to sign except that I'm supposed to get them back to the office as soon as I can, says Joe. Then you might as well wait in the drawing room where you'll be comfortable, she suggests, and he enters the house and follows Carolyn into the drawing room. She tosses the papers on the desk and asks how he's been. OK, he says, you? Not so hot, she says. I can imagine, he says, how's your mother? Improved--but not very much, she says. I'm sorry to hear it, he says,. They still won't let me see her, says Carolyn. That must be kind of rough on you, he says. I'm used to feeling kind of bad, says Carolyn, but always before, my mother was here, I always had someone I could turn to.
[/spoiler]

Robservations has Joe saying "rough on you," but Joel Crothers actually says "rough on ya" - who knows if it was simply Joel's delivery or if it was scripted that way? And speaking of scripted, Robservations also has many places where Joe supposedly says "must," but when one checks out the actual ep, he really says "got to," "gotta," "have to," and "haveta." Again, who knows if those are simply Joel's deliveries or if they were scripted that way? It's possible the writers felt that Joe wasn't the type of character who would use "must" all that often. Who knows? But I do know that there's at least one more instance when Joe says "must" rather than one of the other four, so we'll be seeing Joe at least one more time in the slideshow. (As for Nathan, there are several places in Robservations where he supposedly says "must," but I haven't checked any of them out yet to confirm (nor have I even gone through 1795 thoroughly yet to catch all the possible uses of "must."))

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
When it comes to David Henesy it's interesting that he appears in three of the slideshow's screen caps so far* this month (tying Jonathan Frid)

With today's screen cap Nancy Barrett becomes the third to appear in three screen caps. They've become their own triumvirate!  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
And contrary to what some people have been privately saying to me, I did not base the color scheme of this theme on yesterday's screen cap:

First off, I hadn't even taken that screen cap back when I developed this theme.  [ghost_nowink]  It's merely an amazing coincidence. But that being said, I must admit that I thought it was a hoot when I saw the screen cap displayed on the BoardIndex page and noticed how well Morgan and Catherine's outfits fit with the theme's color scheme, so I can definitely see why people would make jokes about it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #647 (1968) - Madame Findley - 'A war is being waged and we MUST find the one who started it.'

From "Robservations 9/16/02 - #647/648 - Madame Findlay Tries to Help"
Madame F suddenly screams. Stokes tells Liz she's trying to reach her control, her guide to the other world. Madame F calls out, "Are you there? Can you tell me the secrets of this house? Are you there? That's not you." Someone else is answering her, says Stokes. Findlay continues, "Who are you? I cannot hear you plainly. Are you in this room? If you are in this room, speak to me more clearly. You are not in this room, but you are in this house, yes!"
David and Amy exchange scared glances upon hearing this. "I must come to you. I must find you!" Liz calls to Madame F, who begins to toss her head from side to side, declaring, "A battleground--this house is a battleground! Yes, I see that. . .whom are you fighting? Lead me to the room, lead me!" Madame F rises from her chair, but whoever she was speaking to has disappeared. "You must show me!" Stokes asks her if she's all right, and Liz notes she isn't coming out of it. Stokes pats Madame F's hand and says, "The fight goes on between them." She doesn't know who is fighting, but will when she goes into that room. Stokes asks Liz if the woman can search the house. Of course, says Liz. Stokes takes his leave, and Madame F. tells Liz there is much happening in this house (Well, duh.)--much that Liz doesn't know--a war is being waged and they must find the one who started it.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 07:42:39 PM »
Cavada! La Divina!

Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I had a feeling you might be happy with that choice.  [snow_wink]

And here's the screen cap for anyone who missed it:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #122 (1966) - Matthew - 'Voices callin' ta me--you heard 'em, you MUST of!'

From "#0121/0122: Robservations 08/14/01: Matthew on the Brink"
He hears a woman's voice calling his name: "Matthew! Matthew! Matthew!" Who's that? he asks the air--who's there? The female voice continues to call to him, over and over, echoing, and he screams out, "Who's there?" He stands, goes to Vicki, takes off her gag and demands to know where those voices are coming from. What voices? she asks, I didn't hear anything. Voices calling to me! cries Matthew--you heard 'em, you must have! I didn't hear a thing, she assures him. You're lyin' to me! he accuses, but she tells him she really didn't hear anything. T'wasn't just my imagination, he says, someone's out there, callin' to me!--you make a sound, I'll kill ya, ya understand? And he takes her throat in his huge hands to tell her he means business, scaring her.
[/spoiler]

Robservations didn't quite get the quote the way Thayer David actually delivered it, but it's pretty close...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2020, 04:28:24 PM »
I forgot to mention yesterday that Midnite, who's doing the quotes for May, had originally wanted to use Matthew's quote, "There's no other explanation, so those noises MUST be made by ghosts," which is in reference to noises David heard coming from behind the bookcase in the Old House's drawing room. Unfortunately, though, David was on screen when Matthew delivered it.  [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #170 (1967) - Dr. Guthrie - 'We MUST keep this circle unbroken at all times.'

From "#0170/0171: Robservations 09/19/01: Laura, Saboteur, Dream-Weaver"
If you'll all sit at the table, I'll turn out the light, says Guthrie. He closes the double doors and turns out all the lights, then turns on the recorder. How very restful, remarks Roger. Make yourselves as comfortable as possible, advises Guthrie. He sits across from Roger. Vicki and Carolyn face each other. Our object here tonight, says Peter, is to summon the ghost of Josette Collins--now we're all reasonably certain that she's been trying to communicate with us (Vicki looks nervous)--now we feel if we can create the proper atmosphere and right state of mind, that she will come into this room and speak to us--she might either appear to one of us or use one of us as a medium, to speak through. Well I certainly hope she uses you, doctor, it will be something to remember, hearing her voice coming out of your mouth. (LOL!) Mr. Collins, says Peter sternly, if you want to make a joke of this, I'd be very grateful if you'd leave the room now. I'm sorry, says Roger, please proceed. Thank you, says Peter--now, let's place our hands flat on the table. (We get an overhead view.) Spread your fingers and make a circle of the fingers by touching the fingers of those next to you. We must keep this circle unbroken at all times...that's good--now the electricity of thought has been set in motion so that if will flow through us, making our minds as one--let us begin to concentrate--we must repeat over and over in our minds, "Josette Collins...Josette Collins...Josette Collins..." Thunder rolls. Everyone concentrates.
[/spoiler]

True, we're not seeing Dr. Guthrie's face for this quote and that's been a reason in the past to skip a quote. But the moment depicted in the screen cap and the quote itself are so iconic to DS that Midnite felt it was too cool to pass up, and who among us can argue against that?! After all, the scene and the quote are both milestones in DS history: the first seance ever on the show and the first time ever that a character says the seance circle must remain unbroken.  [wink2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2020, 08:06:10 PM »
Great shot today! Wonderful work, MB!

I wonder if they had to build some kind of platform to achieve that shot. Those cameras were huge and heavy, as we all know from the times when they'd accidentally show up in a shot.

G.