Author Topic: E.A. Poe and DS  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
E.A. Poe and DS
« on: April 16, 2002, 03:59:31 AM »
** SPOILERS ABOUT TRASK **

Just a reminder that very soon (I think) we'll be treated to events on DS that borrow from Edgar Allen Poe's story "The Cask of Amontillado."   :o

Having re-read Poe's story recently, I urge other DS viewers to read it.  I think reading the story before Barnabas gets his revenge would actually give more meaning to those episodes (which hopefully didn't air already today).

This is a fairly brief story and one of Poe's most effective; at least, it gave me chills now, perhaps even more than when I read it at about age 12.

"Amontillado" is a sherry from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.

I'm sure the story can be found online.

This isn't DS's only borrowing from Poe.  As is noted in various resources, Elizabeth's "premature burial" in one storyline (the Cassandra one?) seems to be borrowed with Poe's preoccupation with that subject (in "The Fall of the House of Usher," which I've also recently re-read, and, according to printed resources, a story titled "The Premature Burial," which I may have read but don't remember).

Also, a certain swinging pendulum will make an appearance in the 1897 storyline -- straight from Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum."

I recently re-read this story, too, and then last weekend finally viewed the c. 1960 movie version starring Vincent Price (and also starring DS 1990 revival series star Barbara Steele).  I wasn't expecting too much from the movie -- but was I in for a surprise!  Though the movie has almost nothing to do with Poe's story, it is a wonderfully crafted mystery/thriller that I highly recommend!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Re: E.A. Poe and DS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 07:41:51 AM »
** SPOILERS ABOUT TRASK **

Just a reminder that very soon (I think) we'll be treated to events on DS that borrow from Edgar Allen Poe's story "The Cask of Amontillado."   :o

Having re-read Poe's story recently, I urge other DS viewers to read it.  I think reading the story before Barnabas gets his revenge would actually give more meaning to those episodes (which hopefully didn't air already today).

This is a fairly brief story and one of Poe's most effective; at least, it gave me chills now, perhaps even more than when I read it at about age 12.

"Amontillado" is a sherry from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.

Yes, it can Vlad. I put one source below that has several classic books online. Hope it helps.

http://www.unityspot.com/arthurs/poe.html

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 07:56:28 AM »
Vlad's

I recommend Frid's dramatic reading of the story.  It's in the audio gallery portion of www.jonathanfrid.com and though I preferred using my own copy to read along, the text is also available on the site.  It's a treat!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 03:11:40 AM »
Too bad I didn't get this thread posted earlier; I didn't realize the Trask business would come up so soon.

In fact, that reminds me of something that has continued to surprise me as I've been watching 1795 for the second time now, and that is how quickly the 1795 story moves.   :)

Oh, Midnite, what I wouldn't give to have my own computer, with sound!  I love Frid's readings, and there is no one I'd like to hear read Poe more than him!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 04:02:51 AM »
What surprises me - even though they did have some EAP themes - was that DS did not borrow more heavily from the author with the mustache and black, wavy hair.  Considering how popular the Roger Corman/Vincent Price EAP movies were at that time (all of them very elegant), you'd think they would've done more swingin' with the pendulum

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

other than the one that almost sliced and diced Quentin.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 04:05:20 PM »
What surprises me - even though they did have some EAP themes - was that DS did not borrow more heavily from the author with the mustache and black, wavy hair.  Considering how popular the Roger Corman/Vincent Price EAP movies were at that time (all of them very elegant), you'd think they would've done more swingin' with the pendulum

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

other than the one that almost sliced and diced Quentin.

Gerard

That was a scary scene Gerard but i love those old vincent price movies House of Wax  probaly my favorite!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 08:24:04 PM »
The Vincent Price vehicles inspired by various tales of Edgar Allan Poe should be required viewing for all DS fans.  Even when the actual plots weren't borrowed for the series, there are always scenes or just an atmosphere that are strongly reminiscent of life at Collinwood.

I recommend the House of Usher, The Tomb of Ligeia, and The Masque of the Red Death, in addition to the Pit and the Pendulum.

There is actually a film version of the Cask of Amontillado (btw back in the 70s you could still get lovely smooth Amontillado bottled by Harvey's).  You haven't lived till you've seen Vincent Price and Peter Lorre play out this story. I think it was one of the segments in an omnibus film titled Tales of Terror.

Has anyone ever heard the old records of Basil Rathbone reading Poe stories and poems?  Wonderful stuff.  I wish Jonathan Frid would put out a CD of readings from Poe.  Such a divine voice.

Gothick

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 09:08:34 PM »
I agree, Frid's voice is perfect for Poe readings.  His performance of The Tell-Tale Heart on the Dark Shadows 25th Anniversary tape is fantastic!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2002, 02:07:04 AM »
Gothick, you anticipated my question:  Which Corman movies of Poe's stories are recommended?   :)  Since Price is known as such a hammy actor, I wasn't expecting much from "The Pit and the Pendulum," but as I mentioned, I thought it was a terrific movie!  I had previously seen an execrable rendition of several Hawthorne stories called "Twice-Told Tales," but "The Pit and the Pendulum" was in another league altogether.  And I did appreciate Price in "The Conqueror Worm" (whose title but nothing else is borrowed from Poe, changed from the original title "Witchfinder General").  Would especially like to see "House of Usher" and "The Masque of Red Death."

Gerard, you're right, it is surprising that DS did not borrow even more from Poe than they did.

BTW, Carol, thank you for providing the link to "The Cask of Amontillado."   :)

We'll have to check with Happybat and see if she sampled an Amontillado when she was in Spain ...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2002, 03:38:13 AM »
Gothick, you anticipated my question:  Which Corman movies of Poe's stories are recommended?   :)  Since Price is known as such a hammy actor, I wasn't expecting much from "The Pit and the Pendulum," but as I mentioned, I thought it was a terrific movie!  I had previously seen an execrable rendition of several Hawthorne stories called "Twice-Told Tales," but "The Pit and the Pendulum" was in another league altogether.  And I did appreciate Price in "The Conqueror Worm" (whose title but nothing else is borrowed from Poe, changed from the original title "Witchfinder General").  Would especially like to see "House of Usher" and "The Masque of Red Death."

Vlad, allow me to second Steve's suggestions.  Tomb of Ligeia is especially good.  That and Fall of the House of Usher.  Price could be hammy, but when he was trying and when the material was there, he could be spot on.  Both of those are really good examples that.  

The Masque of the Red Death was one of those visually stunning movies--I saw it for the first time in my parent's basement with a tv that required a complicated arrangement of tin foil and coat hangers on the antenna, and for someone not to be using the rocking chair in order to get clear reception, and it's still with me.
Plus it's got Hazel Court, who's always fun.

How can you miss?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2002, 06:38:24 PM »

No, no amontillado, but I did sample a tasty drink with the jazzy name "Lumumba Bumba", which is a glass of hot chocolate with a splash of cognac.  Yummy!  It was just the thing to have on a chilly morning touring the wondrous Andalusian countryside.  

All this talk about Poe, Price and Frid reminds me of a Star Trek convention I attended back in the 80s.  Frid was a guest speaker and - if I recall correctly - read Poe's "The Raven".  Unfortunately, this was well before I rediscovered DS, so I wasn't quite as appreciative of Frid's appearance as I would be today.  

Ah, Vincent Price!  He was one of those actors whose voice was so distinctive that you'd recognize it within seconds sight unseen.  Price was also quite the Renaissance man:  an art connoisseur, gourmet cook (my library owns a cookbook co-authored by Price and his wife) and best movie ghoul ever, IMO.  I also loved him as host of PBS Mystery series, although Diana Rigg did turn out to be a classy and worthy successor to the old master.  

[spidr]  

I also have a vague recollection of seeing Price in a one man show portraying Oscar Wilde. Then there was "The Tingler", which gave me nightmares! [nerv]  And do you all recall the bug "zapper" commercial that Price starred in with his wife?  Very amusing!  [spin]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2002, 07:26:23 PM »
I had the great fortune of seeing Frid here in Baltimore in 1986, (while on tour with Arsenic & Old Lace), at the Enoch Pratt Library doing readings of EAP.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that my fathers construction company rennovated the crypt at Westminster Hall, (poes burial place) back in the eigties. While Poe's actual burial place is unknown, (the marker at Westminster Hall is a memorial only, he is buried elsewhere on the property), it was a fascinating project.

The fact that DS borrowed from Poe's work was one of the things that attracted me to the show.

Does anyone know if The Pit & The Pendulum movie with Vincent Price & Barbra Steele is available on Home Video or DVD? I tried to get it a couple of years ago and found that it was out of print. A friend of mine had it on Laser Disc, but that was an earlier release which hasnt been available for at least seven years.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2002, 07:41:25 PM »

Has anyone ever heard the old records of Basil Rathbone reading Poe stories and poems?  Wonderful stuff.Gothick

Steve,
Was it Rathbone, who was the Sheriff of Nottingham against Flynn's Robin Hood? I can vividly see that sword fight scene in my memory!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2002, 12:13:54 AM »
Vam!

Basil Rathbone actually played Sir Guy of Gisburne in the Errol Flynn film.  They had the climactic duel up and down those stairs. Truly classic filmmaking.

Rathbone used to be best known for his role in the Universal Sherlock Holmes series that I loved watching over and over and over again on Sat. nights as a teenager.  Especially the ones with Henry Daniell and Lionel Atwill taking turns playing Professor Moriarty. What fabulous panache those actors had.  

So many wonderful Rathbone performances.  A remarkable fact about him I often recall is that Sax Rohmer, a now forgotten cult novelist, wanted Rathbone to play his "Oriental mastermind" character Fu Manchu in the films.  Rohmer gave as his reason the fact that "Rathbone always appeared sinister--even when wearing pyjamas!"

Best,  Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2002, 01:58:04 AM »
Yes, FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER and PIT AND THE PENDULUM and a few other Poe Corman classics are avilable on DVD and video. Click through the Amazon link on my site and buy em!  ;D

for NODS fans, the Corman/Price film THE HAUNTED PALACE is a must. The title is POE's but the story is an unfaithful version of LOVECRAFT'S CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD. You'll experience a profound sense of Deja vu as Price is possessed by the spirit of a nefarious ancestor who's portrait hangs in the hall, spends his time in a closed off tower room (doing alchemy this time), and tries to molest his wife in bed. A different story overall but way to much incident for the similarities to be a coincidence. Also Poe's 'Amontillado' story is present via Charles Collins gruesome death.

TOMB OF LIGEIA the film, (LIGEIA the story) from Poe is a primary inspiration for the Alexis/Angelique parallel time story as well.