Author Topic: OT-Intering info about Jonathan's pop...  (Read 1813 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
OT-Intering info about Jonathan's pop...
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »
Found this on the web today, thought it was interesing.  The thing that SHOCKED me though is that Jonathan, according to this anyway, has, or had, a sister!  I only ever heard about his older brothers Doug and Ken.  Maybe she died as a kid or something and that's why he never talked about her?  Don't know.  It's mentioned in the last paragraph.  Seems since they put the boys in chonological order oldest to youngest, maybe she was a younger sister.
----------------------------------
The Frid Construction Co. Ltd., Engineers and Contractors was born as a partnership of brothers Herbert and James Fried. At the age of 20, Herbert Frid, began his construction career with Thompson, Starret Co., engineers in Chicago in 1908. By 1910 he was back in Ontario attending the University of Toronto and graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in 1914, the same year he began the construction company with his brother. Almost immediately, the upstart company would be without his services. Herbert Frid joined the armed forces as a lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Engineers in WWI, was drafted oversees tot he 28th Battalion and served in France with the Sixth Canadian Railway Troops, finally promoted to Major before returning to Hamilton in 1919. In 1926, brother James retired and Herbert Fried assumed the role of sole owner of the Frid Construction Co. Ltd., guiding it through many productive and progressive years.

Operating from offices in the Hamilton Harbour Commissioners Building, the firm constructed interesting and important structures in Southern Ontario. Mount Hamilton Hospital, T. Eaton Company (Hamilton), Adams Furniture Building (Toronto), and the Canada Shredded Wheat Building (Niagra Falls) were early efforts. Other notable projects completed by 1944 included restoration of Fort Henry (Kingston), St. Paul's Church, Westinghouse offices in Hamilton. During the '50's', projects wuch as Oakville Trafalgar, Burlington Joseph Brant and Woodstock Hospitals, Appleby College's gymnasium and the Physical Sciences Building for McMaster and he constructed offices for major clients such as the Bank of Montreal, National Trust and Bank of Nova Scotia and later projects such as Fort Erie Race Track and the Ontario School for the Dear. Frid Construction was also known for industrial work in providing services to Stelco, Dofasco, National Steel Car and the building of a sewage treatment plant in Georgetown.

Herbert Frid was Chairman of the Hamilton Construction Association in 1926 and of the Canadian Construction Association in 1931. He served the industry well during the HCA's infacy when it was called the Association of Canadian Building and Construction Industries, Hamilton Branch. During one period of difficult labour negotiations, he successfully negotiated an agreement with the carpenters union. During WWII he chaired the employers' group of the National Conference of the Construction Industry.

In Hamilton he worked with the citizens' committee for veterans rehabilitation, was Chairman of the YMCA and YWCA expansion program, member of the Hamilton Health Association Board, the Hamilton Hydro Electric Commision and McMaster University Board of Governors. He was a member of the Hamilton Golf & Country Club and Acadia Lodge AF and AM. He was named Hamilton Citizen of the Year in 1951, and in 1960 Herbert Frid was granted an honourary Doctor of Laws degree from McMaster University.

Fondly referred to as H.P by many, he died in 1966 leaving his widow, Flora (who became company Chairman) and four children: Douglas, David Kenneth (who would assume the president and chief executive officer role with Frid Construction), John and Margaret.
The naming of Frid Street in West Hamilton, where the Hamilton Spectator presently is situated and, where for many years the company maintained an equipment yard, is a reminder of the tangible contributions of Herbert P. Frid. He is truly a leader worthy of induction to the Construction Hall of Fame.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: OT-Intering info about Jonathan's pop...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:50:02 AM »
I saw that also about him having a sister named  Margaret.  The order they were listed. I assumed she would be the youngest child also. But never was aware he had a sister until I read that article.

FireRose

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
Notice that the article mentioned that the senior Mr. Frid was survived by his wife and 4 kids.  So, Margaret was alive in 1966, a year before Jonathan joined DS!!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 03:37:06 PM »
Notice that the article mentioned that the senior Mr. Frid was survived by his wife and 4 kids.  So, Margaret was alive in 1966, a year before Jonathan joined DS!!

Yeah, that's what I noticed too Charles.  I'm hoping Nancy K will ring in on this one as well and tell us what's what.  I recall a picture, that I believe is still on Jonathan's website, of the Frid family and Jon was young, he looked about 12, and it was just his folks, his brothers and him.  Where's Margaret?   [hdscrt]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:50:35 PM »
No, Jonathan never had a sister.  I saw that piece some time ago and thought, as BuzzH suggested, maybe there had been a sister who died at birth but Jonathan said that was not the case and he had no idea where the information came from.  Jonathan is also listed on the IMDB as having appeared in a movie he was never in so these things happen even when the source is nearby to check for accuracy,

As a point of interest - the Frids were very well known in social and professional circles in Hamilton.  JF's father, as you read in the article, was a well known businessman and active in supporting many art-related programs in the community and schools.  There's a scholarship in his honor at McMaster University.  JF accepted some type of award or commendation for his father a few years ago at a public function and gave a brief speech about how active his parents had been in charity work and the arts, particularly the theater.  JF's mother, Flora, has her name on a plaque at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton as she was very involved with that organization.  (Good name to have if you are into flowers, isn't it - Flora?)

FYI, JF's brother Ken took over the Frid Construction business until his death in 1987 and Doug (the eldest) had a few businesses and died only two years ago.  They were all involved in civic activities too.  JF was involved in charitable work long before he was ever an actor and subsequently continued the Frid tradition of raising money and donating money to community groups.  As JF said during a question and answer period at the Fest in 1993, he regularly donates to several organizations such as Meals on Wheels and different AIDS organizations.  I'd love to tell you about all the times he has  physically assisted desperately sick people in caring for themselves (rather than just donating money)  but I'll leave that to him should he ever decide to talk about that.  There have been two occasions JF was doing that the very weekend he was also attending a festival in New York but, of course, he discussed that being the case during talks with fans and he was tired.  He probably won't ever talk about since he is modest - one of the things I personally admire about him.  But since he prefers to do random acts of kindness quietly (and even deliberate acts of kindness) I will manage to keep my mouth shut, somehow.  In a world where decent people seem harder and harder to find, it's hard to not point out the good people. ::)

But there wasn't ever a sister.  I guess I should come back to that since that was the question in the first place. ;D

Nancy

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »
I wonder does he have a cousin named Margaret...

The reason I ask is I have a cousin named Kathy and when my father passed away. Somehow my cousin was listed as my sister in the obituary. Boy did that cause some talk since, as far as everyone knew, I was an only child.

FireRose

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:44:36 AM »
Somehow my cousin was listed as my sister in the obituary. Boy did that cause some talk since, as far as everyone knew, I was an only child.

Oh, FireRose, that is so awful.  Hopefully one can find some wry humor in such situations, especially with the distance of time.

Obituaries are notorious for introducing errors into the record, which makes them difficult to rely on when doing genealogical work.  In researching my great-grandfather, I knew the region he was from (in northeastern France) but not the town.  Two obituaries in two different newspapers gave two different towns.  One of them turned out to be correct, and I never could figure out how they came up with the other one since extensive research turned up nothing - no canton, diocese, department, whatever by that name seems to have ever existed!

And newspapers articles like the one cited, especially in small local publications, often have bewildering mistakes.  When I was home for the holidays, our local paper had a feature on a retired couple who were important in the musical community and who are friends.  The article referred more than once to their two "sons."  In fact, they have one son and one daughter.  Their daughter is named Roberta, whom they have always called "Bobby," and therein lies the explanation ...

One of the first articles I wrote was for a small local publication, and I made a mistake so embarrassing I won't even mention it.  I had interviewed the subject over the telephone and misheard (and then misreported) some information that was significant to the story.  Yikes.   :-[  So I do have some understanding of how mistakes are made, but still ...

It's good to learn more about Jonathan Frid from this discussion.  He sounds like a super guy.

:D
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »
Oh FireRose, how awful that must have been!

No,  Jonathan doesn't even have a cousin named Margaret.  I have met/know all of his cousins as he is close to them. Ain't no Margaret there.

Nancy

I wonder does he have a cousin named Margaret...

The reason I ask is I have a cousin named Kathy and when my father passed away. Somehow my cousin was listed as my sister in the obituary. Boy did that cause some talk since, as far as everyone knew, I was an only child.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 01:07:15 PM »
One of the first articles I wrote was for a small local publication, and I made a mistake so embarrassing I won't even mention it.  I had interviewed the subject over the telephone and misheard (and then misreported) some information that was significant to the story.  Yikes.   :-[  So I do have some understanding of how mistakes are made, but still ...

I'm sure it was embarrassing.  I wrote for several Philadelphia-based publications for a few years and I lived in fear of making a mistake in reporting something and my facts were wrong.  Imagine how the people feel who reported those miners in West Virgina as all being alive only to learn that they were not. :'(

It's good to learn more about Jonathan Frid from this discussion.  He sounds like a super guy.

He is a good guy; has faults like everyone else (except for me, of course).  You would be hard pressed to find many people funnier than he is.

I'm often amazed at how similar Jonathan Frid and David Selby are.  I don't know David Selby but from what I have read about him and from him, including encounters at the festivals, like Frid he very much wants to help other people less fortunate, is pretty modest about himself and grateful that fans have continued to be so interested in his work.  The two leading men from DS seem very much alike in many ways.

nancy

:D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »
I have met/know all of his cousins as he is close to them.

Hmm, sounds like art imitating life--Jonathan's close to his cousins, Barnabas was close to his cousins....;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 03:35:56 PM »
Imagine how the people feel who reported those miners in West Virgina as all being alive only to learn that they were not. :'(

That was horrible!  I feel so bad for those families!    :(

You would be hard pressed to find many people funnier than he is.

Man is funny, no doubt about it!  I remember watching a tape from an early Fest (late 80's) where Jon was doing his panel and they would show clips, then he'd comment on them.  Ann Wilson had put the tape together and there was one scene of him chomping on a dockside doxie and of course the audience was howling and cheering.  The lights came up, Jonathan slowly stood up, as if in shock, then said in MOCK anger "Ann Wilson I'll never forgive you for this!" which of course caused the room to erupt w/laughter.  Then as he went on and was saying how ridiculous he felt doing the bite and showing off the fangs etc...he spotted Ann in the back of the room and said, "Yeah, THERE you are!  I see you back there!" and then chuckled.  It was the highlight of the tape in my opinion.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 06:22:32 PM »
Hmm, sounds like art imitating life--Jonathan's close to his cousins, Barnabas was close to his cousins....;)

[headbang]