Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: DS LAW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2002, 11:15:37 PM »
Tony Peterson, absolutely!  Competent, honest, fair, handsome, maybe we could check out his briefs when things get dull. . .

Where were we?

Frank Garner was cute, and seemed competent, too, but I guess I'd go with his daddy for the best lawyer of the two, more experience.

Bradford--I'd hang MYSELF before hiring him!  Might as well get it over with, right?

SPOILER --

I thought Barnabas did an OK job as Quentin's fill-in lawyer in 1840, and he looked mighty fine in the outfit he showed up in that first day in court--after Trask walled him up, yet!  

Desmond was nice, too, and gamely did his best.

Love, Robin

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2002, 11:18:06 PM »

You're right Vam, I had completely forgotten about Tony and Cassandra!  But wasn't she controlling him by supernatural means?  If so, I don't think you can hold his actions against him.

Considering the womanizer that Tony seemed to be, it would not have mattered one way or the other.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2002, 01:52:28 AM »

Considering the womanizer that Tony seemed to be, it would not have mattered one way or the other.

Curious, why do you think Tony was a womanizer?  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2002, 05:23:37 AM »
The two lawyers who made the best impression on me are Tony Peterson and Desmond Collins.  Tony is smart, no-nonsense and principled, gruff on the outside, yet there's an apparent compassion underneath the surface.  Desmond's courtroom performance was competent, aggressive, and fair.  I wouldn't mind being involved in a case with either of them, either as an opponent or as fellow attorney on the same side.  Nor would I mind having either of them represent me (in their unpossessed states, of course).  

I also like Frank Garner, although I don't think I got to see him perform in court.  He may not even be a trial lawyer, especially if he specializes in wills and other transactional-type matters (most lawyers are not trial lawyers).  He seemed like the most "normal" character on DS (only on DS can somebody who's normal be odd) -- not unlike some of my lawyer-buddies whom I run into at the courthouse or get together with for an after-work beer.

Evan Hanley and Charles Dawson give our profession a bad rap.   I especially cringe whenever I see Dawson grandstanding so righteously in court.  I just wanna yell at the TV screen, "Oh, put a sock in it!"  

And if I hung around Peter Bradford long enough, I'd probably go deaf.  

Ben

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2002, 02:25:01 AM »
A tailor-made topic for you to weigh in on, Ben.   ;D

The two lawyers who made the best impression on me are Tony Peterson and Desmond Collins.  

Desmond Collins!  My favorite among John Karlen's many and varied characters!

I know this isn't going to work, but:

"Ben wrote:"

I also like Frank Garner, although I don't think I got to see him perform in court.  He may not even be a trial lawyer, especially if he specializes in wills and other transactional-type matters (most lawyers are not trial lawyers).  He seemed like the most "normal" character on DS (only on DS can somebody who's normal be odd) -- not unlike some of my lawyer-buddies whom I run into at the courthouse or get together with for an after-work beer.

And if I hung around Peter Bradford long enough, I'd probably go deaf.  

Ouch!  You said it!  I wonder how much more pleasant -  sorry, I mean different - our viewing might have been if the actor who played Frank Garner had taken on the role(s) played by the Peter Bradford actor (the actor's name escapes me now)!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2002, 02:52:13 AM »
A tailor-made topic for you to weigh in on, Ben.   ;D

Desmond Collins!  My favorite among John Karlen's many and varied characters!

I know this isn't going to work, but:

"Ben wrote:"

Ouch!  You said it!  I wonder how much more pleasant -  sorry, I mean different - our viewing might have been if the actor who played Frank Garner had taken on the role(s) played by the Peter Bradford actor (the actor's name escapes me now)!

Vlad,

You don't remember Roger (touch my hair) Davis???

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2002, 05:42:29 AM »

You don't remember Roger (touch my hair) Davis???

Vlad, in case you didn't hear, VAM's referring to
          ROGER DAAAAVIS!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Ben  ;)
(Wishing RingoCollins was around to help me conjure up a clever way to make these letters louder)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2002, 06:26:41 AM »
Vlad, in case you didn't hear, VAM's referring to
          ROGER DAAAAVIS!!!!!!!

(Wishing RingoCollins was around to help me conjure up a clever way to make these letters louder)

We could rename this THE ROGER DAVIS SMILEY! --   [scrm]

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2002, 06:46:18 AM »

We could rename this THE ROGER DAVIS SMILEY! --   [scrm]

What this board really needs is a TRUE Roger Davis smiley.  Just think of it, a little hair-touching/shouting smiley.  Could there be any better way for the posters here to express their hatred for him?
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2002, 04:49:03 PM »
Even though I think legal advice in Collinwood was fairly pointless considering the kinds of problems they tended to have [fangs] here's my list...

1. A tie for first place with Frank Garner [thumb] and Richard Garner [thumb] - either of these guys seem pretty honest and legitimate.  Of the two I'd be inclined to pick the father due to length of experience.
2.  Barnabas Collins (short stint in 1840) - Even though he's not a real lawyer he still might be good in a pinch. [peace]
3. Peter Bradford - sincere but too spastic - I'd be afraid he'd irritate the judge and jury too much. [spin]
4.  Garth Blackwood (who sought justice with his own hands) - only if he were seeking justice from Trask's hide on my behalf. [vylnt]
5. A tie for 5th place goes to Evan Hanley and James Blair - bad associations and therefore untrustworthy. [frkoff]
6. Charles Dawson - my memory fails me here but he has got to be better than the last guy...  ?!?
7. Rev. Trask - Eeewh! [puke] Besides, I heard he was going to be tied up for awhile.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2002, 12:45:21 AM »
Since I first tuned in 25 episodes before the 1795 storyline, I haven't seen most of these people (Though I've heard about them). The only ones I've seen as lawyers are Reverand Trask and Peter Bradford (And Tony Peterson). Out of those three, I'd choose Tony. He's a person who does the right thing and tries to believe people (Such as Julia Hoffman right before the 1795 flashback). I'd probably choose Peter next out of those three, but that depends. The good side of him is that he is an honest person, the bad thing is that I'd probably have to pay for a hearing aid after the case  ;)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2002, 01:06:21 AM »

7. Rev. Trask - Eeewh! [puke] Besides, I heard he was going to be tied up for awhile.

Is that snake, you suggested for his "perfect pet ," wraped around him? ;)