Author Topic: Taxes for the Collins  (Read 1265 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Taxes for the Collins
« on: April 16, 2002, 02:25:40 AM »
Suppose the Collins family had to pay taxes.  What do you think the sum would total? Joshua strikes me as athe type who would procastinate. Do you agree?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes for the Collins
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 02:52:19 AM »
Hmm - I don't think they had to pay taxes in 1795 - at least not the kind of taxes we pay nowadays, right?

The present day Collins family had to pay taxes, however. I'm not sure how much but it must have been a lot. Elizabeth closed off most of the house (East and West wings) in order to secure a lowered property tax.

I can't help but find myself wishing that Nicholas or Angelique would put a spell on the IRS right now. >:(

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 03:27:43 PM »
Hmm - I don't think they had to pay taxes in 1795 - at least not the kind of taxes we pay nowadays, right?

The present day Collins family had to pay taxes, however. I'm not sure how much but it must have been a lot. Elizabeth closed off most of the house (East and West wings) in order to secure a lowered property tax.

I can't help but find myself wishing that Nicholas or Angelique would put a spell on the IRS right now. >:(

i'm sure it is very little like most of the rich with all of their tax loops and breaks!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 01:08:27 AM »

Amen to that Chris!  :P
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 01:12:24 AM »
Chris2 wrote:

Elizabeth closed off most of the house (East and West wings) in order to secure a lowered property tax.

What makes you say that Chris2?

Interesting...please elaborate.

Thanks

Patti

PS...actually, there were taxes....let's remember "Taxation WITHOUT representation...Boston Tea Party.
What a Woman!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 01:57:20 AM »
Chris2 wrote:

Elizabeth closed off most of the house (East and West wings) in order to secure a lowered property tax.

Patti wrote:

Not Chris2, but I believe Chris is referring to some of the early episodes of DS.  It's mentioned when Burke is receiving a report on the financial state of the Collins family.  It's either Strake or James Blair who reveals that Elizabeth petitioned the courts to have her property taxes reduced.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 02:12:16 AM »
Chris2 wrote:

Thanks

Patti

PS...actually, there were taxes....let's remember "Taxation WITHOUT representation...Boston Tea Party.

This was covered in the early, pre-Barnabas episodes. Apparently Roger sold off his share of the Collins estate, leaving Elizabeth obliged to mortgage herself to the hilt so as not to lose control of the business. By closing off a lot of the house she was able to lower her property tax.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 04:09:42 AM »
Do you suppose the Parallel Time room would've increased their tax rate?  I mean, it's liking having double the house.

Gerard

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2002, 04:17:41 AM »
Do you suppose the Parallel Time room would've increased their tax rate?  I mean, it's liking having double the house.

Gerard

Interesting point you make Gerard...Property tax takes on a new meaning thanks to Parallel Time!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2002, 06:45:26 AM »

Gerard

Gerard! Don't give the IRS any more ideas! They'll find a way and "reinvent" property taxes for us all, I know it! LOL ;D
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2002, 04:11:40 PM »
Well, I have no idea what amount they would have had to cough up by 1968.  But, I remember hearing on the America's Castles cable program once that many of those great old sprawling mansions might never have been if they had not been built prior to the advent of personal income taxes.  I'm not sure exactly when that was but I think it may have been around the turn of the last century.  So, Collinwood itself may have the lack of taxes to thank for its very existence.  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2002, 08:00:44 PM »
Well, I have no idea what amount they would have had to cough up by 1968.  But, I remember hearing on the America's Castles cable program once that many of those great old sprawling mansions might never have been if they had not been built prior to the advent of personal income taxes.  I'm not sure exactly when that was but I think it may have been around the turn of the last century.  So, Collinwood itself may have the lack of taxes to thank for its very existence.  

Maybe the Collinses would have to do with Collinwood what the Vanderbilts do with the Breakers in Newport, Castlebee.  The Vanderbilts actually still own the place, but "rent" it to Newport for like a couple bucks a year for all those tours.  The family spends maybe a week or so a year there, when it's then closed to the public.  That way, they get to write it off on their taxes and keep it even though they really can't afford to use it.

Imagine the tours going through Collinwood.  "And if you look into this room, recently discovered after being walled up, you'll see a skeleton in Victorian garb sitting next to a gramaphone.  Please, sir, stay on this side of the velvet rail.  Now, if you'll all follow me, you'll notice a very interesting nursery which sometimes is a linen closet.  Let's see which one it is now......"

Gerard