Author Topic: Michael T. Weiss on stage in Boston  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Michael T. Weiss on stage in Boston
« on: January 06, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
Les Liaisons Dangereuses with Michael T. Weiss (Joe Haskell/Peter Bradford in the '91 DS) previews tonight (Jan. 6) and runs through Feb. 5 at the Boston University Theatre.  Visit huntingtontheatre.org for more info.

From  http://www.huntingtontheatre.org/season/production.aspx?id=1323&src=t:
Artistic Director Nicholas Martin: "I have always loved this brilliant, sensuous play, and Michael T. Weiss starring as the dangerous Vicomte Valmont, hot on the heels of his remarkable performance in Burn This, is a coup for the Huntington."

MB, I am SO jealous... Photo Library for Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Michael T. Weiss on stage in Boston
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:33:05 PM »
MB, I am SO jealous...

I have tickets for the 22nd - not that I'm gloating.  :)  And besides, someone refuses to buy a coat, so she couldn't even make the trip to see him - well, unless she wanted to risk possibly freezing to death.  [b003]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 07:41:19 PM »
 [laughing11]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:12:39 AM »
MB, please report back here after you've seen the play!  I would love to see this on stage (I've seen three film/television versions) and I think Michael T. Weiss should make a good Valmont.  (I was impressed the first time I saw John Malkovich in the 1988 movie, but then I saw him give the same performance in "Portrait of a Lady," and then in another movie, and in another movie ... )

Coincidentally, I have been watching the DVD of the BBC production of "Clarissa," one of those long 18th century novels I never got around to reading (though I did read "Pamela,"), and it's amazing how close the setup is in "Clarissa."  In fact, information on the production claims that 18th century French novelist Choderlos de Laclos (whose name always looked more Spanish to me) got the idea for "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" from "Clarissa."

Who is playing the Marquise de Merteuil?

P.S. If anyone has seen the full DVD version (in French) of the Catherine Deneuve/Rupert Everett version, please IM me ... I'm wondering if it is as much improved over the version that aired on the WE network as one commentator I've read claimed.  The DVD is becoming very hard to obtain by now but is very expensive.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:17:49 AM »
Vlad, if you use that long link in the main topic, you'll see under More Information on the right a link to ">>About the Company." which lists the entire cast.  :)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:57:13 AM »
i just saw this have to ask my sister to go she would love this and as it just a few miles while down the street well... :)

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 09:08:55 AM »
I think the part of Madame Turveil (sp) (the young religious woman) is the hardest to make believable and sympathetic to a modern audience.  The only one who has succeeded, IMO, was Nastassia Kinski, but the writers toned down the religious tenor of the role.  Seeing how beautiful she was in this part I've been imagining if only she had played "Clarissa" - though the BBC production is powerful as it is; I'd rate it at least as high as the Close-Malkovich "Dangerous Liaisons."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:42:41 PM »
Photo Library for Les Liaisons Dangereuses

If interested parties haven't checked out the above link since it was origianally posted, you may want to check it out again. The Huntington has added 9 more photos from the production, 6 of which feature MTW - including one of a scene that I've read about but I'll keep mum about until I've actually seen it for myself - then I can report if what has been strongly hinted at in acticles about the production and interviews with Weiss is actually true.  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »
Well, in the novel, Valmont was an active, predatory bisexual... I seem to recall a scene at an inn, though I may be confusing this with one of Smollett's novels--it's been a long time.

Maybe I should consider going to see this...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:17:27 PM »
Valmont was an active, predatory bisexual...

Well, that's not what I've been reading about - though it could prove true as well.  :)

No, what I've been reading about is more in the nature of a fantasy some MTW fans might have coming true. But for now   :-X

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 03:58:30 AM »
what I've been reading about is more in the nature of a fantasy some MTW fans might have coming true.

I'm guessing that the big question is whether Michael T. Weiss takes off his shirt.  Yes, it appears he does.   :)

Going by the photographs, Cecile appears to be well cast.  (It could be that she takes off her shirt, too.)   :)

I hadn't noticed the video clips before.  I'm hoping that the clips are from an early stage in rehearsals (I'm talking about the scene between Valmont and Mertuel), because the scene seems lifeless and forced.  Why are they standing so far apart?  I get no sense of connection - sparks, attraction, wit - between the two, only empty space.  Of course this is only a minute from the entire production so I wouldn't presume to judge beyond that.

Gothick, regarding your speculation, I hadn't heard that about Valmont, although I hasten to admit that I haven't read the book yet.  I've had a copy of it for years and started it - thought it a great, breezy read for an 18th century novel, but got sidetracked before getting very far.  It would be interesting to follow up on your thought, because in the French TV production with Deneuve and Everett, a character says, "Valmont doesn't like women, he only uses them," or words to that effect.  I'd be interested to find out if the idea is developed further in the extended 270-minute version which did not air on TV.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:08:23 AM »
I'm guessing that the big question is whether Michael T. Weiss takes off his shirt.  Yes, it appears he does.   :)

There is nudity, but it's a mystery if it's he that goes full Monty.

I hadn't noticed the video clips before.

Thanks, Vlad!  Video was to have been added today and it slipped my mind to check for them.  Silly me.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 08:14:54 AM »
Shirt off on Michael T. sounds good to me.