Author Topic: Hawkes Harbor  (Read 629 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Hawkes Harbor
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »
I did a quick forum search on "Hawkes Harbor" and only came up with a few mentions of it in past years.

I just finished reading the book last night, having picked it up earlier this year at a discount book store. I wasn't expecting much, and I have to admit that the beginning portion of the book was a bit difficult to get through. But once I was in, I was in for good.

It wasn't difficult to discern who each character represented from the Dark Shadows world, and the same goes for the settings used most in the book. I have to say though, that I found some of the relationships between characters to be a bit unexpected from how they were presented in the show. I have to wonder if these were present in the first draft of the novel, or if they were the result of changes made after the DS Gods determined that the book would not be an officially licensed DS novel?

The relationship between Jamie (Willie) and Grenville (Barnabas) was really all over the place. The early part of it (where Barnabas practically abuses Willie at every turn) I found to be pretty accurate. However, by the end of the book (SPOILERS HERE) where they practically became road trip buddies was a little much for me to swallow. And Jamie's fate at the end of the book was also not what I would've guessed given that Willie is always involved in later DS projects (particularly the audio dramas).

Anyway, has anyone else read the book and what did you think?

EDIT: I must not have been searching the Home page of the forum, because I just found more mentions and a topic. However, I'd enjoy talking about it further if this topic stays up.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkes Harbor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
I loved the novel.  Brandon, did you find the one deliberate editing "whoops" where the name of one character remained intact after all DS references were removed and changed?  Despite fearing the wrath of you-know-who and his army of lawyers, it was a bone thrown to us DS fans (and probably caused those not familiar with the show to scratch their heads). 

The ending went way off the bible, but it caused me to tear up. 

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
EDIT: I must not have been searching the Home page of the forum, because I just found more mentions and a topic. However, I'd enjoy talking about it further if this topic stays up.

No worries, Brandon - it's fine to bring back/start topics for further discussion, especially if it's been a while since they've been discussed.  [santa_smiley]

Unfortunately, I've never read Hawkes Harbor so I can't contribute...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »
I read it quite a few years ago. I thought that it was okay but not really my cup of tea. My principal recollection is that the Willie Loomis analog has been given a name that is pronounced exactly the same as Lindsay Wagner's character on The Bionic Woman.  [santa_cheesy] [santa_cheesy] [santa_cheesy]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »
I loved the novel.  Brandon, did you find the one deliberate editing "whoops" where the name of one character remained intact after all DS references were removed and changed?  Despite fearing the wrath of you-know-who and his army of lawyers, it was a bone thrown to us DS fans (and probably caused those not familiar with the show to scratch their heads). 

The ending went way off the bible, but it caused me to tear up. 

I did catch the editing "mistake" and it actually made me do a double take and re-read that section because I was unsure if she was referring to a different character all together or if she were using a slip of the hand as a nod to DS.

The best part of the book were the flashbacks showing the relationship between the Willie/Jason characters (Jamie and Kellan in the book). Those provided a lot of character depth for Willie and Jason both, and I enjoyed imagining their relationship being as close as it was, though in the show it seemed to devolve very quickly thanks to Barnabas. I also thought that in the series Jason always came off at as Barnabas-lite, i.e. taking advantage of Willie and treating him more of a child than a cohort. In the book this was less pronounced, though still evident.

Louisa as Julia was a poor substitute, and if the book had remained DS oriented and the names not changed, I think the Julia character would've be wildly inaccurate in the book. At the very least, she would've broken character a couple of times.

Reading this book makes me wonder what other characters could've or would've been delved into deeper if this publishing line had continued.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran