Author Topic: This is the End, My Only Friend, the End...  (Read 483 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
This is the End, My Only Friend, the End...
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:27:36 AM »
(the melancholy of the above Doors song is how I feel.)

So, I just watched the ending of Dark Shadows  [tearyeyed]

I wanted to ask, with all the established DS actors, why the lead male went to Keith Prentice. I'm trying to not fault his 'um, lackluster or, over the edge' acting abilities...

Granted, he came on an established show that was near it's end, but, why him?

Early in 40/41PT Gerard comes to visit (I already don't remember) someone....

If they wanted over-the-top, stick with Chris P.

I understand D. Selby had his appendix removed, but, still, why a different actor.

I hated that Louis was reduced to a mad-man laughing ghost; he deserved better.

Which makes me ask; who (of the males) were busy doing other projects?

The times Johnnie was allowed to have a back-bone were always the best (William L. Loomis, Will in NoDS) and especially this final story arc!

Of course I was happy how much Grayson there was, why not also more Liz?

(Funny, I've posted a number of times how I hated the way the established ladies were reduced to almost non-existed roles, guess I suffered DSFMS.)

Aces for Lara...I think she & Nancy were the only two who didn't refer to the other actors with the same/different name, if you know what I mean.

Here's hoping what ever powers may be are lurking & reading our current (50 years after the fact) talking about ((((Dark Shadows)))).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: This is the End, My Only Friend, the End...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »
Though it's execution was questionable, I always liked the idea of "The Lottery" as a storyline. I thought delving deep into the history of the Collins family and going two centuries back to the 1600s to explore Brutus' curse was great, although it didn't necessarily match up with the timeline of the Collins family from the regular time band.

I think where 1841PT fell short was that, as you described, it didn't use the same actors from 1840RT like 1970PT did. 1970PT was excellent because it used the same actors playing (mostly) the same characters, but these characters were polar opposites in some cases. They built on the strength of what they already had, and threw in some new people for an extra twist. They failed to do that in 1841PT.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran