Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS GAME - WHITMAN - 1968  (Read 540 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DARK SHADOWS GAME - WHITMAN - 1968
« on: November 04, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »
DARK SHADOWS GAME - WHITMAN - 1968

I've said this before, but I really like this game...

And that's some price reduction. Though the thing is that back in the '90s I can easily see where it would have gone for the original asking price on somewhere like eBay. Nowadays not so much...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DARK SHADOWS GAME - WHITMAN - 1968
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
I learned something today that perhaps others have known for a long time: Gold Key Comics is also known as Whitman Comics. I guess that explains why the Whitman DS game uses illustrations in the style of the DS comics from Gold Key Comics. I'd always wondered why that was. Now I know...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DARK SHADOWS GAME - WHITMAN - 1968
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:27:30 AM »
The Dell/Gold Key/Whitman story is extremely convoluted. I'll sidestep the Dell part for now and go directly into Gold Key. They were a major publisher throughout the 1960's, sometimes even surpassing Marvel and DC in sales. But by the mid 1970's, the comic book market had changed. Part of it was the economy. Part of it was that the Gold Key audience of younger children wasn't as interested in their product as their older siblings had been.
Unsold Gold Key comics were returnable to the publisher for credit. Someone figured that by publishing comics under the Whitman name and distributing them in a plastic bag would cut down on returns. The Gold Key comics were returnable. The Whitmans were not. The Whitmans usually had three comics per bag but customers could seldom see exactly what they were buying, so the idea never caught on.
Other companies' books were sometimes published under the Whitman brand, including some of Marvel's early Star Wars books. Aside from this small variation, the comics are virtually identical and valued about the same.
Fade Away and Radiate