Author Topic: Semi OT: Poltergiest: The Legacy  (Read 892 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Poltergiest: The Legacy
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:54:35 PM »
Dear Fans, back in the mid 90s, there was a series on called Poltergeist: the Legacy.  It was about a group of people investigating supernatural/paranormal occurrences around the world, and was set in a spooky mansion on Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay area.  There were a number of episodes that reminded me of DS, and the situation between the head of the group (played by wonderful Dutch character actor Derek de Lint) and the psychiatrist, Dr. Rachel Corrigan (portrayed by the equally fabulous Helen Shaver) had a certain resonance between a certain tormented member of the Undead and his own "Physician to the Vampire."

A friend alerted me that MGM are releasing the first season of this series on DVD.  Season one is slated for an early Feb release.  I have mixed feelings about this, given what a mess MGM made of the DS revival series release.  Am hoping that the reviews demonstrate better handling of this series, though I have to say that the mock-up of the box artwork does not inspire confidence...

I am posting this here for the benefit of other fans of both shows who may be interested.

Best, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Poltergiest: The Legacy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:32:06 PM »
wonderful Dutch character actor Derek de Lint and ... the equally fabulous Helen Shaver

How could you overlook mentioning Martin Cummins' Nick Boyle?!  [santa_shocked]  (I seem to remember you once referring to him as "drool-worthy."  [santa_grin]) Not to mention Robbi Chong's Alexandra Moreau (for whom I admit to having a soft spot)? P:TL was one of those rare shows in which all the principal actors/characters made a great impact on the proceedings.

As a fan of P:TL, I definitely hope that MGM/Sony gives it better treatment than they did the '91 DS.  [santa_angry]  But I won't hold my breath on that account since they seem to be obsessed with butchering their series' original presentations just to release them in widescreen.  [santa_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:44:20 PM »
I won't hold my breath on that account since they seem to be obsessed with butchering their series' original presentations just to release them in widescreen.

Oops, I may need to take that back.  [santa_embarassed]  I just checked Amazon.com, and if their listing is correct, it seems like P:TL is being released in "Full screen" format. If true, that makes me even more pissed that they released the '91 DS in 1.78:1 widescreen!  [madan]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 11:34:23 PM »
MB darling, you're not well enough acquainted with me to be aware of the fact that during the years when Pt:L was on the air, and for SEVERAL years afterwards, I had a collage of pictures of Martin Cummins prominently displayed in my bedroom.  Very high school, I know; I make no apologies as Martin was and is a thoroughly Luscious gentleman, luscious in every sense of the word!  I still follow his career as best I can.  He's made quite a name for himself in the world of independent film, while keeping bread on the table with recurring minor roles on various WB series filmed in Vancouver.

As for Robbi, I may not have slavered over her the way I did over Martin, but I certainly have a very high admiration for her thespian prowess.  It's a shame she hasn't found more work since P:tL went dark, but I presume this is because she found much more interesting ways of occupying her considerable talents than in "the Industry."

I really hope that MGM does a better job with this show than they did with DS '91.  I'm not expecting any extras, of course--I know better than that where chintzy MGM is concerned!

I would appreciate it, MB, if you can post any links that happen to cross your desks related to this release in this thread, if the occasion arises.  I thought P:tL gave an interesting template for what a DS style series could look like with a reasonable budget and good casting in the 1990s.  I still think Helen Shaver would have been an excellent choice for Julia in the 2004 pilot.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »
you're not well enough acquainted with me to be aware of the fact that during the years when Pt:L was on the air, and for SEVERAL years afterwards, I had a collage of pictures of Martin Cummins prominently displayed in my bedroom.

But considering how you often spoke of him, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  [santa_wink]

Very high school, I know; I make no apologies

Nor should you have to.  [santa_azn]

I still follow his career as best I can.  He's made quite a name for himself in the world of independent film, while keeping bread on the table with recurring minor roles on various WB series filmed in Vancouver.

As I'm sure you know (and I think we may have even talked about it a few times), he was a semi-regular on the last season of Dark Angel (one of my other favorite shows from the past - though I'll concede that its final season wasn't necessarily its best). I haven't seen him since that show, but I'm glad to hear that he's still active.

I would appreciate it, MB, if you can post any links that happen to cross your desks related to this release in this thread, if the occasion arises.

I definitely will.

I thought P:tL gave an interesting template for what a DS style series could look like with a reasonable budget and good casting

I wholeheartedly agree.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
Well, I don't collect autographs, but I'll confess that I was thrilled the day I received an autographed headshot of Martin Cummins in the mail, along with a very handsome portfolio of P:tL publicity materials, including several other autographed 8 x 10s of various cast members.  I have kept it among some other cherished possessions such as original magazine articles about Grayson Hall, the zine with a portrait of Peter Cusihing I was able to have the most gentlemanly of all British horror icons sign when I met him at a convention in the mid 70s, and various other bits of olla podrida from days gone by.

Thanks for your sharing your own thoughts about Poltergeist: the Legacy, MB.

Best, G.