Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 22838 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Their article about the script deal is currently the most commented article on TVLine.com:

The article is still the most commented - now with 79 responses...
Still the most commented - now with 95 responses...
Now with 97.

Hmmm - It's interesting that the pickup of Superman & Lois hasn't even made the comments list so far and the pickup of Walker, Texas Ranger, while on the list, is only ranked 4th with only 44 comments.

Just saying...  [snow_wink]

It's also interesting that the subject of a potential DS pops up in the comments section for Superman & Lois:

"Would much rather have the CW pickup shows like Dark Shadows"

And four times in the comments section for Walker, Texas Ranger:

"CW had a number of series I was hoping to see ordered to series–especially Dark Shadows: Reincarnation."

"Dark Shadows sounded pretty good hope it gets picked up."

"Yeah Im hoping to see Dark Shadows"

"I wonder where this leaves the Dark Shadows sequel?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Glad that people are continuing to show interest in the series online. With the way that viewer engagement is tracked these days, the more online discussion that occurs around this possible new DS series the better. I wouldn't be surprised if DS ended up as a mid-season replacement for the CW if they have a show that isn't working. Not sure how often the CW does that compared to the big four networks, but it's a possibility.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The CW definitely does midseason. In fact, sometimes they replace almost half of their series midseason either because they only make 8-13 eps of a show or because they want to give another show a chance. In the latter case the show put on hiatus to make way for the midseason show comes back later in the season.

However, that being said, even if both Superman & Lois and Walker, Texas Ranger debut in the fall, there may still be one more fall opening left...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Can't say this article is too encouraging -

The CW’s 2020 Development Slate is Chock-a-Block With Spinoffs and Reboots
The Arrowverse is set to take center stage yet again as The CW prepares its pilot orders for the 2020-2021 season.

- though it is only one woman's opinion. Not to mention it's not likely that she's even read the script and what is publicly known about Dark Shadows: Reincarnation is maddeningly little so, really, what is there for a columnist to work with to make an informed decision?

But just to backtrack a bit, it really isn't all that surprising that the CW ordered Walker, Texas Ranger and Superman & Lois. Both shows come with elements already known to the CW, be they Jared Padalecki's immense popularity at the network or that Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch have already appeared on the network as Superman and Lois in several eps of various shows. The CW has a very good idea what they're getting and those shows won't need a casting process to find their leads. When it comes to many other shows the CW has in development, that's not the case - certainly not when it comes to a potential DS. And as we learned last week, the CW is very wary of a possibly impending writers' strike. So much so that they want to hire writers, prepare scripts, and shoot eps this coming spring (rather than wait until summer when shows normally go into production for the fall). And they can't do that with shows that need pilots shot before any decisions about them can be made - and pilots need to find their casts, they shoot in the spring, and decisions about them aren't normally made until May...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Maybe playing the long game is a better option in this instance anyway. Like MB said, with the writers strike a real possibility, wouldn't we rather have things play out slowly and ensure a great product rather than getting something rushed through to series order? Then we might end up in a 04 pilot situation. As long as there continues to be interest in the property, especially online, and people are talking about the possibility of DS coming back, I think there's a good chance that this can stay on the radar of the network execs.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
have they even put out a cast announcement for the sequel series at all?  let alone who's even writing it?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
All we actually do know is who's writing it and who's producing it. Go back to the first post in this topic, click on the link, and read the article.  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm - It's interesting that the pickup of Superman & Lois hasn't even made the comments list so far and the pickup of Walker, Texas Ranger, while on the list, is only ranked 4th with only 44 comments.

Just saying...  [snow_wink]

Maybe it's just me but I have to say I really am surprised: Superman & Lois peaked in the low 40s after making a very brief appearance on TVLine.com's Most Commented list yesterday and Walker, Texas Ranger peaked at 79 before TVline.com took it off the list today. Superman & Lois doesn't have its own series yet, but like I said, both characters have made several appearances on the CW's most popular current shows - and Jared Padalecki is and has been a hugely popular star on the CW for years. It's absolutely fascinating to me that a show like DS, one that has had such a low profile on TV for so many recent years, was able to garner 97 comments for an article that simply said a script deal had been made, not even a pilot, much less a series deal as was the case with Superman & Lois and Walker, Texas Ranger...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interestingly, this article does mention The Lost Boys as still being in development:

Supernatural's Jared Padalecki Expresses His Gratitude for Walker, Texas Ranger Series Order

And it also mentions DS...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think they're a little late in getting the news out:

DARK SHADOWS SEQUEL SERIES RESURRECTIONS IN THE WORKS AT THE CW

And what's worse, they can't even get the title right!!  [snow_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OMG - here's a copy of the same article but on another site:

Dark Shadows Sequel Series Resurrections in the Works at The CW

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have no idea what NALIP is (though I do suspect the P stands for Producers), nor do I suspect it matters all that much, but I do find it interesting that Bradley Gallo, who's behind this DS revival, has the hashtag #darkshadowsreincarnation as part of his ID

Apparently, NALIP is the National Association Of Latino Independent Producers. Interestingly, however, I discovered today that Bradley Gallo no longer has a page on their Web site. Who knows why, but I doubt it affects the DS project at all, especially considering that the #darkshadowsreincarnation is still active. In fact, someone posted on the 16th wondering:

Waverider @TimecityZ - Jan 16
Yo @thecw @TheCW_PR  When is Dark Shadows and Kung Fu going to get series orders too? #DarkShadows #Darkshadowsreincarnation #WalkerTexasRanger

I suspect they may be jumping the gun expecting a series order because a more likely order would be for a pilot. And, as I've mentioned before, networks tend to announce their pilot orders by the end of January, which is still almost two weeks away...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Some hopes for the new show

Don't necessarily agree; I think it needs to be current.

Yes, we can see certain characters (matriarch Carolyn), but, new characters.
I wouldn't want a new monster each week, let's lead up to it.

And, of course, certain characters could make appearances, or be in on a semi-regular basis.
I personally think David should be out of the picture, in South America (truth/stranger/fiction).

Maybe a nice, elder gentleman who takes Carolyn out to places could be something more than he seems to be.

Maybe a 10-year old & a 15-year old (nieces?), so we'd need a governess.

A grounds keeper, who has all the New England silence & loyalty to Ms. Carolyn.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Patti. David could be in S.A. looking into what happened to his real father... Burke Devlin... bum Bum BUM!!!