Author Topic: Does this settle it?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Does this settle it?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 10:05:28 PM »
For what it's worth, it's established during 1970PT that PT-Barnabas was born in 1770. We can't necessarily use that same year for RT-Barnabas' birth because, well, things are different in PT.  [santa_wink]  But IF it did correlate, that would mean that  (barring Barnabas being born in early January and having had a birthday celebration that we never saw in 1796  [b003]) Barnabas was 25 when he was cursed.

This works for me, forgetting Frid's age of course, as Josette was in her 22nd year when she died, whether she was still 21 or had actually turned 22 we don't know.  But her gravestone puts her birth year in 1774.  Him being 3 years older works for me.  But, so does him being a little older, 30ish say...But I've howled down this path before, LOL!   [santa_cheesy]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:10:26 PM »
One of those heavy eyeliner photos of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas was framed and for a time Louis Edmonds hung it up in his bathroom at the Rookery.  Frid autographed it:  "To Louis, Love Joan Crawford."

LOL!  I saw that photo, when a bunch of us visited Louie in June 1998.  But it was in the bathroom of his guest house at The Rookery!  ;)  He was a wonderful host, showed us his 'secret' garden and told us the story of how he stole shutters from Spratt House (aka The Old House) and brought them to The Rookery.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 10:13:50 PM »
LOL the makeup was so amazing, how they got his cheeks to look so sunken in, he looked emaciated.

Well, if you've seen the picture of him and Louis at the beach that's in Big Lou, Jon was pretty skinny in those days, LOL!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 02:22:46 AM »
I don't know why they couldn't have just said that Barnabas was 35, he looked 35 at the youngest, and there's nothing wrong with being 35. It was quite common for the husband to be older than the wife then. Jonathan Frid certainly didn't look 25! It is much easier to play older than younger.

Barnabas would still be the same character if they had him be 35 or so, andit would have been much more believable too.

On a different subject, remember when Barnabas used some sort of magic to make it seem that Dr. Woodard was haunting Julia? He said that he learned this in Barbados. Then when the show went back to 1795 they wrote him to be all innocent. Not at all the same person he was in 1967. In 1795 he didn't even believe in witches.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »
My mind works this way regardless of what the writer's wrote.

Jonathan Frid was in his 40s in real life. So for me he was also in his 40s in the storyline.

I just simply ignore the dates. Since the dates never meant much to the writer's anyway. If they had they wouldn't have kept making so many mistakes with them.They would have kept track of the dates they already used in previous storylines. Iinstead of pulling a completely different date out of thin air to do a flashback or have a character to use a date to explain something that didn't agree with what had already been established as a date in a previous storyline.

FireRose

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »
LOL!  I saw that photo, when a bunch of us visited Louie in June 1998.  But it was in the bathroom of his guest house at The Rookery!  ;)  He was a wonderful host, showed us his 'secret' garden and told us the story of how he stole shutters from Spratt House (aka The Old House) and brought them to The Rookery.  ;)

That must have been a hoot to see!

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
Well, if you've seen the picture of him and Louis at the beach that's in Big Lou, Jon was pretty skinny in those days, LOL!

I love that photo in Craig's book too.  Believe it or not, JF is pretty much that skinny now.  Since getting older (like 80 and now recently 81) he insists on walking into town to buy groceries and get a paper rather than drive.  He does this in order to keep in shape the best he can.   When I saw him this past October, I don't believe he weighed anymore than 200 pounds.  He's even thinner than when the photo was taken on the front page of his website.  http://www.jonathanfrid.com.

However, please note he ain't wearing bathing trunks! :)

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
On a different subject, remember when Barnabas used some sort of magic to make it seem that Dr. Woodard was haunting Julia? He said that he learned this in Barbados. Then when the show went back to 1795 they wrote him to be all innocent. Not at all the same person he was in 1967. In 1795 he didn't even believe in witches.

Yep, just another one of those *pesky* details that got changed when they decided to keep ol' Barny around and give him a back-story, LOL! ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 04:03:25 PM »
I just simply ignore the dates. Since the dates never meant much to the writer's anyway. If they had they wouldn't have kept making so many mistakes with them.They would have kept track of the dates they already used in previous storylines. Iinstead of pulling a completely different date out of thin air to do a flashback or have a character to use a date to explain something that didn't agree with what had already been established as a date in a previous storyline.

This sounds like a VERY good way to keep your *sanity* when watching DS!  LOL!   [santa_azn]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"